Planning to change the throttle body and gas pedal sensor....Any ideas on steps - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 13 Old 09-18-2010, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Unhappy Planning to change the throttle body and gas pedal sensor....Any ideas on steps

Hello

I have been having the problem of the stop and go traffic where the after 30 mintues driving at a stop light, pressing the gas pedal for awhile to accelerate gets no response and then it lurches forward like a jack rabbit. kinda of scary, but after shutting off the car and restarting it. That fixes the problem for awhile..

Help help from the murano gurus out there.

I did a throttle body cleaning and that helped for a month or so, but the problem is still there, cleaned the air box, use preminum gas. but problem is still there.

So I'm coming to the conclusion that it is electronic problem and maybe changing the throttle body (throttle body sensor is enclosed here)
and gas pedal position sensor would fix that. Where is the throttle position sensor? is it together with the throttle body???

Check for codes: nothing.. nothing stored in memory...

In terms of how to take off the parts on the car, I dont have a problem with that, but need additional information if one can do the relearning program by a DYI or does the reprograming have to be done by the dealer.

How do you do the:
1. accelerator pedal relearning
2. throttle valve position relearning
3. idle air volume relearning

Just need some guidance into this program, cant really afford high dealer price...Can individual small shops do the program?

What happens if one can't do the idle air volume relearning after changing out the throttle body?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-23-2010, 09:54 AM

Did you ever find any resources on this? I have the exact same problem and wanted to see if replacing the throttle body fixed the issue. I am also trying to figure out how to perform the relearn.

Thanks!
post #3 of 13 Old 09-23-2010, 12:15 PM

If you seach you will find the idle relearing procedure. I don't recall about the other procuedres but it sounds like you should download the service manual from Nissan which does cover this... its about $20... well worth it.

2003 SL AWD Black
post #4 of 13 Old 09-23-2010, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

I'm finding the throttle body on some site charge $250 and the gas pedal sensor for $110. I did look at the manual and the first two doesnt seem hard but the last one idle air volume might be tricking and thinking of letting the dealer do it with their consult 2 computer system.

What you guys think? I'm pretty sure that fixing this two problems with be 100% functional. There are no store codes on the car and no transmission problem when I got that checked so I'm sure its one of these two sensor premature fail before it will throw a code out.

Hopeful thinking and I will keep updated on the results...just looking for parts now
post #5 of 13 Old 10-03-2010, 02:49 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to turbizzy
I havent seen too many problems with the accelerator pedal position sensor. But i've seen a few throttlebodies being bad. TPS is integral with the TB.

Is it the engine thats not respoding or does the engine respond but the cvt doesn't? I've seen a tsb for an updated cvt valve body for delayed power.

Izzy - MY PANDORA BODYKIT FOR SALE
04 Murano SE
05 Colorado ZQ8
85 Mustang SVO
post #6 of 13 Old 10-03-2010, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks turbizzy for analyzing situation.

When I step on the gas pedal lightly, the rpm and engine does move.
When I step on the pedal more, the rpm move and the car rolls slow forward at a slow speed.
Then I push the pedal alittle more, the car jumps forward like a jacketrabbit but I don't see much of an rpm flutter.

No codes but I have an 60% guess that it is related to the throttle position sensor. So my logic is to change the throttle body and that would fix the problem. What does other gurus think? It doesn't go in limp mode.

But I have to also get the relearn procedure done. How much does that cost at the dealer?

Saw a throttle body that goes for $126 on autoparts.com don't know why worldpartsexpress.com charge $560????
post #7 of 13 Old 10-03-2010, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Oh ya. I just did a throttle body cleaning and there were alot of black carbon build up. Did this 6000 miles ago and had one or two problems before but this helps.

Where does all the black carbo build up come from?
I think I would have to clean every 6000 miles from now on to prevent the problem.
post #8 of 13 Old 10-03-2010, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to turbizzy
Honestly bro, i think you should take it to a dealer cuz this might be transmission related. This sounds just like a valve body issue i chased a while ago. There's even a TSB on this but i can't remember if it has to have a code or not in the TCM. Are you able to check TCM codes or only ECM codes?

The carbon buildup on throttleblades comes from reversion and pcv fumes, completely normal. You can try cleaning the throttle blade however what i've found, especially on Muranos is that once you do that, your idle acts really funny if you don't perform the Idle Air Volume Learn procedure with the Nissan Consult II scan tool. Itll also set a P0507 Idle Speed Control code and check engine light.

What im trying to say is this can potentialy turn into a bag of worms...

Izzy - MY PANDORA BODYKIT FOR SALE
04 Murano SE
05 Colorado ZQ8
85 Mustang SVO
post #9 of 13 Old 08-08-2011, 02:30 PM

This is a great thread and describes my problem to the proverbial "T". Like both of you describe, I can apply pressure to the gas and I go with no problem. If you press the accelerator more, there is a power lag. Like instead of immediately upping the revs for more power, the revs fall, you lose power until you press the accelerator more and you eventually can roar to life and accelerate with the best of them. This type of problem happens whether you pull away from a light or on the highway and trying to pass. The problem is still the same. In my case the cvt works, it just doesn't work well. And like others, you get the "that's just how the cvt works" response. I just don't buy it.

Waynester, I'd love to know if you got the problem rectified!
post #10 of 13 Old 08-08-2011, 06:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Check out my thread. Addressed his issue here. I was having the same problem:

http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/8...lve-cover.html

After 142K miles, my MO is history. Now sporting a loaded silver 2012 Ford Edge Limited with 20" wheels.
post #11 of 13 Old 08-09-2011, 12:42 PM

Awesome, Warhammer. Fantastic "How To" post. Wow! So, by reviewing your thread to JUST remove and replace the Throttle Body I don't have to go past step/picture 4? I don't have to remove all the windshield wipers/bolts/motors/rubber shield etc? I'm who doesn't know a hammer from a wrench (well, almost that bad in that I don't do any work on the car). But I could do this I think. LOL! Is that gasket just called a throttle body gasket that you have to replace when replacing the TB? For $165+/- I think it's worth a try, even if it doesn't totally solve my problem. My problem sounds like the problem you had just not as severe.
post #12 of 13 Old 08-15-2011, 03:24 AM

How did it go jcgct?

Having the same problem, just curious to see if jcgct made the changes. Did it work out?
post #13 of 13 Old 08-15-2011, 09:09 AM

MuranoMom: I have not as yet made this fix. I would like to though. It's more of a minor annoyance as opposed to being debilitating. But, like I said, I think for the cost of a remanufactured Throttle Body, it's probably worth the try.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: