Trunk door striker - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 10-09-2010, 09:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Trunk door striker

The back door striker on my 2007 Murano has become loose. When I tried tighten it I noticed that there was nothing to grab onto under the screw. It's like the bolt or latchplate from underneath the screw has fallen off. I can't figure out how to get underneath to rebolt the striker on. The door still shuts, but it makes noise while driving.

Any ideas on how can I fix this? .

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-09-2010, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Do a search on rear door lock/latch. There are threads posted on this issue. The area is very prone to rust and failure.
#3 Old 10-10-2010, 08:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihassan View Post
The back door striker on my 2007 Murano has become loose. When I tried tighten it I noticed that there was nothing to grab onto under the screw. It's like the bolt or latchplate from underneath the screw has fallen off. I can't figure out how to get underneath to rebolt the striker on. The door still shuts, but it makes noise while driving.

Any ideas on how can I fix this? .

Thanks
If you are talking about the tailgate, then Nissan really messed up on this and did not provide an access panel to get to the nuts that hold the striker in place. The only option is to actually cut a hole in the body panel to get to them. At least a couple of members that I know of have had this problem. There are several threads on this. See below for two of them:

Rear latch

Help, hatch latching issue

2004 SL AWD - Super Black - Leather Package (Café latte) - Tow Package - Floor Mats - Splash Guards - Cargo Area Protector - Rear Bumper Protector - Front Window Tint - Dawn Color Matched Body Side Molding – Day Time Running Lights - PAC-NIS1 Aux Audio input - Pressure Pro TPMS and Anti Theft Sensor Locks - 7" Xenarc VGA Touchscreen - Compaq EVO e-PC 2.0 GHz Pentium 4 Carputer with 120GB HD, DSATX PSU / Shutdown Controller, Road Runner Front End, iGuidance 3.0 Navigation, DVD player, Internet access, XM satellite radio, Deluo GPS receiver, Linksys WiFi Antenna, TERK XM antenna - Tweeter 22uF CAP mod - Magnetbra - Custom Backup Camera - Aries Polished Stainless Steel Sidestep (nerf) Bars - Euro-Tech Nudge Bar - Homemade Lower Grill Cover - Auxiliary Projection Fog Lamps - Aluminum Fuel Tank Shields - Wade Window Deflectors - Nissan Sunroof Deflector - Scosche UBRH Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit
#4 Old 11-12-2010, 05:47 AM

How to fix striker problem

Let me share how I remedied my loose 2005 Murano stiker problem for less than $5.00. Once the loose striker became a problem, I went to local hardware store and purchased 1/8" toggle bolt and 1/8" washer (see pix). Any larger toggle bolt and washer are too big and do not work. After inserting both toggle bolts into the holes, all is left is to tighten.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Murano 001.jpg
Views:	1049
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	16242   Click image for larger version

Name:	Murano 002.jpg
Views:	1298
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	16243  
#5 Old 11-12-2010, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Interesting solution. Good job!

2004 SL AWD - Super Black - Leather Package (Café latte) - Tow Package - Floor Mats - Splash Guards - Cargo Area Protector - Rear Bumper Protector - Front Window Tint - Dawn Color Matched Body Side Molding – Day Time Running Lights - PAC-NIS1 Aux Audio input - Pressure Pro TPMS and Anti Theft Sensor Locks - 7" Xenarc VGA Touchscreen - Compaq EVO e-PC 2.0 GHz Pentium 4 Carputer with 120GB HD, DSATX PSU / Shutdown Controller, Road Runner Front End, iGuidance 3.0 Navigation, DVD player, Internet access, XM satellite radio, Deluo GPS receiver, Linksys WiFi Antenna, TERK XM antenna - Tweeter 22uF CAP mod - Magnetbra - Custom Backup Camera - Aries Polished Stainless Steel Sidestep (nerf) Bars - Euro-Tech Nudge Bar - Homemade Lower Grill Cover - Auxiliary Projection Fog Lamps - Aluminum Fuel Tank Shields - Wade Window Deflectors - Nissan Sunroof Deflector - Scosche UBRH Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit
#6 Old 12-08-2010, 07:37 PM

BigTimeTennis, you are my friggin' hero.
#7 Old 01-02-2011, 01:41 AM

solution

Big Time Tennis's solution worked perfect for me...I have 2006 Murano that had the same issue. The 1/8" toggle bolts were correct, but the washers were too small, so I used some of those rubber washers (for plumbing), since I had a few extras around....However, I am sure bigger washers would have worked fine. Cost of repair: .98 cents (versus who knows how many hundred dollars, taking it to a mechanic.
#8 Old 02-20-2011, 03:01 PM

Great Fix!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimeTennis View Post
Let me share how I remedied my loose 2005 Murano stiker problem for less than $5.00. Once the loose striker became a problem, I went to local hardware store and purchased 1/8" toggle bolt and 1/8" washer (see pix). Any larger toggle bolt and washer are too big and do not work. After inserting both toggle bolts into the holes, all is left is to tighten.
Have a 2006 Murano with 45,000 miles. Striker plate on lift gate has broken or became so loose it fell off the screws. It's down in there but no way to retrieve without cutting. Didn't check forums before coming up with my own quick fix....used a tie strap thru the holes where the screws were. Works great unless you slam the door down too hard and strap might snap and break (happened once after a month). Now that I found your solution BigTimeTennis I'll be using your suggestion for a more permanent fix and a great savings! Thanks!

And thanks to all who post great suggestions and info on the forums. Still trying to figure out a good remedy for the floppy sunvisor though
#9 Old 04-03-2011, 03:54 PM

Thank you BigTimeTennis

Great fix and pictures. The only addition that I had was to use Threadlock on the bolt. I am hoping that it will help keep it tight.
#10 Old 06-13-2011, 08:06 AM

#11 Old 12-26-2012, 02:33 PM

Best Fix for "Murano Striker Plate Drop Out"

The backer plate for the striker on my wife's '07 Murano dropped into the chamber of horrors where you can't retrieve it.

Sooooo.... I took out the bolts, then I got a long (5" - 6") M8 bolt and stuck it through one of the bolt holes until it caught into one of the threaded holes in the backer plate.... I carefully screwed it in and lifted the backer plate until I was able to align it with the bolt holes.... I screwed in one of the original bolts, unscrewed the long bolt and screwed in the remaining bolt...

When I got it aligned right.... I unscrewed each bolt separately and coated them with Locktite before I torqued them down for good...

The long M8 bolt cost $1.69
The good thing about this fix is that all parts are original AND you don't have the backer plate rattling around in the chamber of horrors...

Mike
#12 Old 05-10-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimeTennis View Post
Just did this on my 07. Great tip!
#13 Old 07-24-2013, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
It's actually a metal plate with two threaded holes that holds the striker in place. Mine had fallen off as well earlier this year.

Solution is to use a magnet to retrieve and hold it in place while screws are re-fastened. The best tool to use is a flexible magnetic pick-up tool but you could probably get away with a strong magnet tied to a string and go fishing.

'04 SL Black w/ '07 Engine (RIP)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: