Driver's Seat - Page 30 - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.20 average.
#436 Old 05-29-2012, 10:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I could use some advice on dealing with the dealership's service department.

My 2005 Murano's driver seat finally broke. I did a quick inspection and it looks like the same exact problem everyone else is reporting. I did a quick internet search and came across lots of information regarding this problem.

I called the dealership's service department and they said it would probably be around $1000 to fix. I went back to the internet and saw that many people were able to get it fixed for under $500. I also saw suggestions about filing a complaint with NHTSA and Nissan's Consumer Affairs department. I did both. Nissan replied and said I needed a recent diagnosis by a Nissan Service department, which i understand.

So today I took my Murano to the service department and explained the problem to them. I also showed them the Service Bulletin (NTB05-043d) that everyone had been referencing.

The service adviser stated that all the repairs they've done has involved replacing the whole seat frame. I told him that it was my understanding the the issue could be fixed with one of the parts listed on the TSB. His response was, "If it is one of those parts that is broken."

I didn't have an appointment so they weren't going to be able to look at it till tomorrow.

My question is....
- Is there any reason they would have to replace the whole seat frame?
- What should I say if they do tell me they have to replace the whole frame?
- How do I protect my self from getting unnecessary parts replaced?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#437 Old 06-08-2012, 01:34 PM

Hello David,
I have just ordered the part and I have a question for you. The Nissan Service bulletin calls for removal of the "front" lift assembly too in steps 44-47. Did you do that, or did you skip to step 48? Also, are there quite a few steps related to motors I can skip for the same reason?
#438 Old 12-10-2012, 03:30 PM

Dec 10, 2012 DRIVERS SEAT BROKEN LINK ASSEMBLY FIX My '06 Murano's drivers seat frame broke about 18 months ago. I had the Nissan top of the line full extended warranty. I read up on the problem before I went to the dealer but was told it was a "wear and tear" item and was not covered. Bastards!! Because it was so expensive and not really bothering me, I decided to just ignore it. Well it started to get quite sloppy so decided to get it fixed. The rear frame part (mine was broken on rear left of drivers seat) is available in the US from Nissanzone.com. Part number is 87473-CA01A
I got it on sale for $99. My Canadian dealer wanted $317.00 plus 13% tax just for the part. I got a friend in the U.S. ( I am Canadian) to buy it and then send it up here as a used part under $25 so no duty.
I then took it to a local reputable car interior shop (See who your best body shops recommend because they farm this work out) who quoted me $120 - $150. I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Have seen guys on here pay upwards of $1200. Turns out the front bracket was broken too and I did not have that part so they welded it up. I also asked for new foam on left bolster were my fat legs had worn it out. No problem. Total Labour charge?????? $200 Whole job cost less than local dealership wanted for the part. NOte that my local dealer has a labour rate well over $90 and hour now.
So ladies and gentlemen. My seat was fixed for under $350 Cdn. Nissan are idiots for not fixing these faulty underbuilt frames under warranty. Let the the number crunchers figure out how many potential repeat Nissan buyers they have lost. E-mail me at freddybill@rogers.com if you have any questions.
#439 Old 12-10-2012, 03:35 PM

Should also give a plug to NewImage Auto Interiors who did the repair WHILE I WAITED. They are in Toronto on Midland Avenue. Gonna give em my Honda ST1100 seat to make it more comfortable. THIS is how the world should work. Good work at a fair price equals repeat business.
#440 Old 12-11-2012, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TORONTOFREDDY View Post
Should also give a plug to NewImage Auto Interiors who did the repair WHILE I WAITED. They are in Toronto on Midland Avenue. Gonna give em my Honda ST1100 seat to make it more comfortable. THIS is how the world should work. Good work at a fair price equals repeat business.
you could have done it yourself if you really wanted to. There is a TSB that shows you step by step what to do, and its really not hard.
#441 Old 12-11-2012, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
I think considering he didn't want to DIY and he discovered that he had two problems, he came out just fine.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
#442 Old 01-03-2013, 09:32 PM

Had mine repaired (welded) today at a local panel beaters, total cost $46 including $6 tax. Took about 30 minutes to do the job from start to finish. As a bonus, also found 2 cigarette lighters, a Matchbox car and rubber ball under the seat from the previous owners (plus a few yen, it was a Japan import). I'll see how long the weld lasts, but I can afford to get it repaired quite a few times, before I spend around NZ$500 on a new bracket (I'm guessing that would be the approx. cost here in New Zealand based on the USD cost)
#443 Old 01-08-2013, 08:19 PM

murano drivers seat fix

My 05 Murano right rear seat Lifter Link bracket broke about a year ago. Dealer told me it was $1000 or more fix. Since I am the only driver I simply put a piece of wood under the broken Lifter Link bracket and drove on. I am very tall so my seat stays all the way back and down. I started reading posts and did some research and have replaced the broken Lifter Link Assembly with a new design Nissan #87473-CA01A that I purchased online from FactoryNissanParts.com (NISSAN of McKinney TX) at a cost of $91.22 plus $9.95 freight. Replacement of the bracket took about two hours time. It is substantially beefier than the original. Go to photobucket.com and search for Nissan Seat Fix to see photo’s of the new Assembly.

Before you start I recommend putting the seat all the way up and inspecting the front bracket to see if the front bracket is cracked but not full broken and carefully inspect the white gear on the end of the worm drive located inside the right side of the drivers seat bracket. This gear is also a problem and the subject of many posts. My seat moved fine with no one in the seat but when I removed the seat to repair the bracket I noted the gear was cracked. Nissan sells the complete drive assembly but not the gear itself. The gear is available from an injection molding company at OdomoterGear.com for $69.00. They also have an excellent three page instruction manual on their website. This is easily done while the seat is out but I did manage to replace mine later with the seat reinstalled and all the way up.

Nissan Service Bulletin NTB05-043d provides detailed instructions to replace the seat front lifter, rear lifter Assembly and the Lift motor assemblies. The Rear Lifter Assembly part number on the bulletin has been superseded by 87473-CA01A. The first nine pages of the bulletin are downloadable free online at ww2.justanswer.com. These plus a little common sense will get you through the replacement of the right rear Lifter Link Assembly.

For the complete 30 pages of the Bulletin Go to NissanHelp.com, select Service Bulletins then keyword filter = seat. This will bring up NISSAN Bulletin NTB05-043d. Join the service for $12.95 and you can down load the complete bulletin
#444 Old 02-13-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankfrank View Post
My 05 Murano right rear seat Lifter Link bracket
Nissan Service Bulletin NTB05-043d provides detailed instructions to replace the seat front lifter, rear lifter Assembly and the Lift motor assemblies. The Rear Lifter Assembly part number on the bulletin has been superseded by 87473-CA01A. The first nine pages of the bulletin are downloadable free online at ww2.justanswer.com. These plus a little common sense will get you through the replacement of the right rear Lifter Link Assembly.

For the complete 30 pages of the Bulletin Go to NissanHelp.com, select Service Bulletins then keyword filter = seat. This will bring up NISSAN Bulletin NTB05-043d. Join the service for $12.95 and you can down load the complete bulletin
Thanks for the info. Our 2007 Murano seat broke.

Two questions.

I have the TSB...I noticed step 48 and 49 was removing the Lifter Link Assembly RR-LH (87473-CA01A). I know that part is cracked and I ordered a new one. Do I need to do all those steps before? I assume I can skip some of that in the middle once I get the seat out. Just trying to figure out how much time I will need this weekend since the car will be out of commission while I work on it.

Our seat foam wore down...I suspect the one edge of the broken seat bracket was cracked for years but not completely broken. It completely snapped a few weeks ago and now the seat is wobbly. On the left edge toward the drivers door the seat foam does not fill the seat fabric. I saw foam shredding underneath the seat. Has anyone fxed the seat foam? I plan on just shoving some foam from the bottom of the seat to fill the spot and that should push the foam back up.

Thanks for the help!
#445 Old 02-13-2013, 04:35 PM

Any good upholstery shop can cut new foam and install it for you. Worth it in the long term.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
#446 Old 02-18-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
Any good upholstery shop can cut new foam and install it for you. Worth it in the long term.
Thanks for the info. It's just one small part...and I was able to get some high density foam and shape it to fit there.

I fixed the seat..I did notice it squeaks a bit when I get in it. If it doesnt go away, I will pull it out again and make sure everything is tight.
#447 Old 02-19-2013, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I ordered a new one from the dealer and installed it myself. Worth every penny!

2014 Midnight Garnet AWD SL w/SmartStart

SOLD - 05 Merlot AWD S w/Convenience Package, Tow Package, Sirius Radio

Upgrades:
- OEM Homelink Mirror, Tweeters, FOG (on with parklight)
- 2007 OEM Chrome HVAC Knobs, Alum. Rear Protector, Wheels
- Alum. Pedals & LED Lights in Vents

For Sale:
- OEM Xenon HID Headlights (LT & RT)
#448 Old 04-13-2013, 12:11 PM

The driver's seat on my 2009 Murano started shifting a little and making a clicking sound whenever I turned a corner. I thought it was the infamous seat problem until I read that the problem had been fixed with my model.

I looked under the seat and found a cross-bar toward the front that was loose. I tightened it with a 12mm socket that easily fit between the seat and center console and the moving and clicking disappeared in my test drive.

I didn't read all of these posts and apologize if this has already been posted, but I was thrilled at not having to spend any money at Nissan. I just had to replace the front motor mount that they so successfully engineered.
#449 Old 08-15-2013, 08:59 PM

I want to thank the members for the pix on page 11 of this thread.

In the last week, I've felt like something was loose and bumping around under the seat - today I lifted the LR corner and it lifted off the track. I'm fairly sure that this is the same problem shown on page 11, since the power adjustment works forward and back, the front lifts and falls, but when trying to bring the back of the seat up, only the right side lifts.

Doesn't seem like a big deal to me given the pix of the seat assembly. If the break is like the one shown there, any welding shop worth visiting can weld the part back together without a problem.

I'm busy this weekend, but the seat is fine as it is - it's in the right place and I don't need to move it. In a couple of weeks I'll pull the seat and if the problem is a broken part as shown in page 11, I'll take that assembly to a shop, have it welded, take some pix and put it back together. Ought to cost $25 or not much more.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
#450 Old 08-16-2013, 12:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Don't just get the broken pieces welded back in. Reinforce the frame by fabricating a brace with heavier steel and weld that on to the broken area so it never breaks again. You'll see the broken pieces are made with rather thin metal, doesn't take too much work to weld a brace in while you're at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
I want to thank the members for the pix on page 11 of this thread.

In the last week, I've felt like something was loose and bumping around under the seat - today I lifted the LR corner and it lifted off the track. I'm fairly sure that this is the same problem shown on page 11, since the power adjustment works forward and back, the front lifts and falls, but when trying to bring the back of the seat up, only the right side lifts.

Doesn't seem like a big deal to me given the pix of the seat assembly. If the break is like the one shown there, any welding shop worth visiting can weld the part back together without a problem.

I'm busy this weekend, but the seat is fine as it is - it's in the right place and I don't need to move it. In a couple of weeks I'll pull the seat and if the problem is a broken part as shown in page 11, I'll take that assembly to a shop, have it welded, take some pix and put it back together. Ought to cost $25 or not much more.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: