Help! Exhaust sounds loud and bad gas mileage? - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 5 Old 12-06-2010, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Help! Exhaust sounds loud and bad gas mileage?

I have a 2006 S AWD w/ about 80k miles. Recently the exhaust has been really loud, not when idling but when accelerating and starting. At first I though it was an issue with the muffler but I just had my car inspected and the muffler/exhast system is fine.

Since I noticed the loud sound, my gas mileage has also been poor. I am not sure if it is an issue with the gas mileage or the gas gage itself, because when the low fuel light comes on and I fill up, I am putting in about 2 gallons of gas less then when the light would come on before.

I am thinking the loudness and the gas mileage issue are related. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? I am going to take it to my mechanic but want to have an idea of what I am walking into before doing that.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-06-2010, 04:20 PM

I'm curious to see what you find out, keep us posted

2004 Murano SE
2004 BMW 530i
post #3 of 5 Old 12-06-2010, 05:52 PM

What type of sound is the exhaust making? I it just the regular sound but louder? Or is there some sort of vibration or other noise that you can hear?

If you're having exhaust problems your fuel mileage could definitely be suffering depending on what the problem actually is.
post #4 of 5 Old 12-06-2010, 06:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
What the OP has described is consistent with a cracked exhaust manifold.

2004 SL AWD - Super Black - Leather Package (Café latte) - Tow Package - Floor Mats - Splash Guards - Cargo Area Protector - Rear Bumper Protector - Front Window Tint - Dawn Color Matched Body Side Molding – Day Time Running Lights - PAC-NIS1 Aux Audio input - Pressure Pro TPMS and Anti Theft Sensor Locks - 7" Xenarc VGA Touchscreen - Compaq EVO e-PC 2.0 GHz Pentium 4 Carputer with 120GB HD, DSATX PSU / Shutdown Controller, Road Runner Front End, iGuidance 3.0 Navigation, DVD player, Internet access, XM satellite radio, Deluo GPS receiver, Linksys WiFi Antenna, TERK XM antenna - Tweeter 22uF CAP mod - Magnetbra - Custom Backup Camera - Aries Polished Stainless Steel Sidestep (nerf) Bars - Euro-Tech Nudge Bar - Homemade Lower Grill Cover - Auxiliary Projection Fog Lamps - Aluminum Fuel Tank Shields - Wade Window Deflectors - Nissan Sunroof Deflector - Scosche UBRH Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit
post #5 of 5 Old 04-05-2011, 03:29 PM

Are you still having issues? I'm experiencing some noise issues as well..... I just had my catalyst replaced @ 65k just last august. Around then, the car occasionally would jerk around 2k rpms no matter what speed or mode(manual or auto).....The jerking seemed most noticeable @ highway speeds, but seems to happen while pushing through 2k rpms no matter where just occasionally though ......Now she is sounding "throaty". Idles like a muscle car and rumbles when she accelerates.....Just got it back from the dealer and she was given the okay, but I know she sounds different lately....Sounds like a bad muffler noise....Seems others are experiencing the same issues...Also noticed a dip in the fuel economy from like 20 avg. to 18 avg. mpg

'04 SE AWD sheer silver
BOSE package
aries nerf bars
drawtite hitch
K&N air filter

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: