Checking your oil on your Nissan Murano: Best Practices? - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 02-05-2011, 11:06 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Checking your oil on your Nissan Murano: Best Practices?

I was wondering if anyone had any tips for accurately checking your oil quickly. As I've seen mentioned in various threads, the MO dipstick may be the worst design ever, and I can't get a good reading.

I'm fairly sure my 2003 MO (127k) is burning oil, but I can't tell how low (if at all) I am running. Dealer mentioned I was low at my last oil change and they found no leaks (it was also the 120k maintenance done a little late). I followed the instructions in the manual about how to check the oil (get the engine up to running temp, turn it off and wait at least ten minutes), but it's tough to tell. With the silly folds and bends in the stick, I get oil on all sorts of places, except the H - L graph.

I can say there is oil touching the dipstick in various places and where the H - L graph is, oil coats the opposite side of the stick well, but not on the graph.

Anyone have any tips?

Thanks in advance.
ashersky is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 02-05-2011, 03:31 PM
Registered User
 
tnelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Columbus, oh
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Checking Oil

I noticed the same thing on my 04 Murano. If it was low on oil, it would not register on the dipstick in the hash marked side, even though I saw oil above the markings and on the back - it appears the engine only has to be 1/2 to 3/4 Qt low, and it will not read properly. What I did was pour in about 4 ounces and wait for about 3 to 4 minutes to let the oil settle (if you dont let it settle, it will not give you an accurate reading, it will show up on the back side of the dipstick and above the hashmarks), then check the level again. Once you start to get enough oil in the engine, you will clearly see the level on the hash marked side of the dipstick - then keep adding until you get the level in the middle of the hash marked side. Wipe the dipstick off each time before you check the level. The best way to check it is after the vehicle has sat overnight - pull out the dipstick, wipe it off, reinsert into engine and check the level then. If you dont see any oil on the stick, add a little at a time as I described before. Once you see the level in the middle of the hashmarked area, you are good to go.

2011 LE AWD, Graphite Blue, Navigation, Leather, Xenon, Fog lights, and a whole lot more
tnelson is offline  
#3 Old 02-05-2011, 08:23 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MA
Posts: 1,741
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashersky View Post
Dealer mentioned I was low at my last oil change and they found no leaks (it was also the 120k maintenance done a little late).
What 120K maintenance??
nafddur is offline  
#4 Old 02-08-2011, 04:53 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I believe it's the 30K the 4th time around. Or maybe the 15K the 8th time around? I don't know--it's the biggest dealer-recommended maintenance.
ashersky is offline  
#5 Old 02-09-2011, 09:52 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MA
Posts: 1,741
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashersky View Post
I believe it's the 30K the 4th time around. Or maybe the 15K the 8th time around? I don't know--it's the biggest dealer-recommended maintenance.
What 15 and 30K maintenances? As with my earlier 120K maintenance post, this also is a rhetorical question. Scroll around this site and you will find that most (of course, there could be rare exceptions) recommended dealer maintenances are at best overpriced and, at worst, total scams.

I'm not saying you might not have been due for something (like maybe accessory belts or a routine oil or filter change) coincidentally at 120K. But regular (ie 15, 30, 60K, etc) dealer services are just money makers for dealers. Of course closely inspecting your car at regular intervals could save you money down the road - for instance, if you discover a leak. But you certainly don't need to pay a dealer to do that.

Out of curiousity, what did they do to your Mo at 120K, and approximately how much was that service?
nafddur is offline  
#6 Old 02-09-2011, 10:36 AM
Registered User
 
BillArf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,322
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashersky View Post
I was wondering if anyone had any tips for accurately checking your oil quickly. As I've seen mentioned in various threads, the MO dipstick may be the worst design ever, and I can't get a good reading.

I'm fairly sure my 2003 MO (127k) is burning oil, but I can't tell how low (if at all) I am running. Dealer mentioned I was low at my last oil change and they found no leaks (it was also the 120k maintenance done a little late). I followed the instructions in the manual about how to check the oil (get the engine up to running temp, turn it off and wait at least ten minutes), but it's tough to tell. With the silly folds and bends in the stick, I get oil on all sorts of places, except the H - L graph.

I can say there is oil touching the dipstick in various places and where the H - L graph is, oil coats the opposite side of the stick well, but not on the graph.

Anyone have any tips?

Thanks in advance.
Pull dipstick and read after vehicle has sat all day or all night and the dipstick will be coated in such a way that you can read it easily.

eeeee
BillArf is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On