Check engine soon - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 04-19-2011, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Check engine soon

Hello all, On my 2004 nissan murano my check engine soon light came on and i cant seem to find out how to turn it off. Do i have to go into nissan to get them to reset it or can i do this myself somehow? Thanks alot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-19-2011, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Before you turn the light off (you can do it yourself and without a code reader using the accelerator method detailed in the FSM and likely somewhere on this forum), you want to find out what code(s) triggered the light in the first place. If you don't feel comfortable reading the codes yourself (the DIY method I just mentioned without a code reader is a little convoluted and some people apparently haven't had the coordination needed to make it work at all) most auto parts places will do it for you.

But I do agree that the first time you get a SES light, after you get the code(s), merely reset the light and see if it returns. That is, of course, provided your car is still running OK. If you're having driveability problems, you likely have something more than some fluky thing that set the SES light on and you should have a qualified technician check it out.

I had a similar situation with my 04 SE a few years ago. I read the code out in my garage using the accelerator method, reset the light, and it never came back on.
#3 Old 04-19-2011, 06:29 PM
HVT

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Autozone stores will read the codes for free and let you know what it is. Most likely it'll be a sensor...usually an 02 sensor. But have it checked...don't just reset it and forget about it. It may run fine but fuel mileage could suffer.

Nav
Chromed stainless rear bumper protector
Retrofit 5k HIDs
235/65-18 Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Seasons
#4 Old 04-19-2011, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
1985-

One of the most common causes, and easiest to remedy, is a loose gas cap. Make sure the mating surfaces are clean and the cap is securely tightened. If that is the cause the light will go out by itself. If not, most major auto parts stores will read the code for free. It only takes a few minutes. Post the code here and we can walk you through it.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
#5 Old 04-20-2011, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Definitely find out what the code is before you clear it. On an 04 it could be as simple as the gas cap, 0456 I believe. Or, from my experience, it could be the cat, code 0420. If you leave the cat too long it can melt the O2 sensor in proximity, or cause further damage. I left mine with the code coming on once a month for 4 months. I melted an O2 sensor so the cat replacement cost a couple hundred extra.

2004 Murano SL AWD
#6 Old 04-20-2011, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
When my SES light came on a few years ago, I got DTC P2135 (throttle position sensor). After resetting the light, that code has never (at least not yet) returned.

But on my Maxima, one of the EGR codes kept returning regularly after resetting the light. I finally broke down and changed one of the components in the EGR system, and that fixed the problem.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: