Nissan Murano Forum banner

2011 S starting problems

25K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  KJAM2009 
#1 ·
My wife is the primary driver, and we've got about 10k miles on it by now. The car sometimes "lags" when it turns over and starts. It sputters a bit and then finally catches on and starts. Until the other day, the car was in the garage and wouldn't turn over. Battery was fine, and I even tried to jump to to be sure. All electrical worked fine, car just would try and try to start but would turn over.

Called the dealer the next day and they advised to have it towed in. When tow truck driver was here, of course it started. Heavy smell of gas in the air, which made us think it was possibly flooded? Tow driver asked if we hold down the start button when we start it. I don't, and neither does my wife. We do a simple little push of the button and then fingers to ourselves. Towed it in anyway (dumb) to have it looked at. Dealer says there is nothing wrong. I'm on the hook for the tow fee, of course.

My wife claims it still struggles a bit to start at times. It just lags a bit when starting and then finally turns over. We live in MN but cold weather does not seem to play a role. And of course it's an intermittent problem. It does not happen consistently, nor when the dealer looks at it.

On to my question....anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions? I understand the dealer when they say the don't see a problem so there isn't anything they can do. But it would certainly seem as if something isn't quite right.

See less See more
#2 ·
You have a 2011 so it's not a battery problem...I had simlar problems and took it in several times...each time they checked the battery and did a load test on it and told me that everythig was OK.....but periodically it just wouldn't start and it would sit there rand click.....I finally got pissed and bought a new battery and hanven't had a problem since.....there's something about hte way the MO's eat batteries.....there's been some forum discussions on this. I'm not saying it is your battery, but it's inconvenient and dogone annoying to get out there and have it act up like that...then have them test it and tell you it's ok.....until the next time it won't start.

#3 ·
I have a 2011 Mo and I have not experienced the engine not starting at all, but have had a few occasions where the starter engages and spins at the normal rate, but the engine takes 3 to 4 seconds to turn over, and then at first it is slow to run. It has done it two days in a row, when the temp drops into the low 20s. The engine acts like it is not getting fuel. Perhaps there is an ingnition limiter that prevents fuel from flowing until the oil pressure rises - just a thought, I have to verify this somehow.

#4 ·
I have learned something this week regarding the Murano starting issue. What I would like to know from those experiencing this "issue" is what was the temperature outside when the car lagged upon starting. I did some research and found there is a cold start control stored in the ECM. There is a bulletin, # NTB09-066a which addresses this, but it is not very specificand applies to 09 and 10 Muranos, it states "NISSAN: COLD START CONTROL. CONFIRM BULLETIN APPLIES AND IF APPLIES REPROGRAM THE ECM. *PE " I ran off a copy of the entire bulletin from Mitchell, but it only addresses how to reprogram the ECM - it does not give a detailed description of what the car does or does not do that would warrant reprogramming. Mine has started fine the last week but it has not been bone chilling cold here. From what I understand in talking to various "car guys" is this MAY be by design - that is to allow the engine to crank a few revolutions to allow the oil pressure to build BEFORE starting. I cannot confirm this. I have talked to Nissan consumer affairs as well as a dealership, and no one has told me this applies to the 2011 Muranos. If it applies to the 09 and 10 Muranos, it may apply to the 11s and 12s, at least logic would have it that way!

#5 ·
Starting problems

I have a 2011 murano and I have the exact same starting problem it happens in all weather from very cold to warm weather it happened to me in september and is now happeing in jan I took it to the dealer was told that my bat was a bit low so they charged it for over 2hrs then gave it back to me saying everything looked fine and that i dont drive enough for bat to charge (only drive to and from work about 30 mins on averge)then 2 days later same dam thing again-I am returning to the dealership tomorrow to demand they do sumthin ive only had the dam car since sept barnd new not impressed to say the least

#6 ·
Starting

I am not sure what to think about this situation. I had an 04 Murano and never experienced this issue, oh sure it would start a little slow on really cold days, but never cranked excessively.

I had mine at the dealer last week and of course the MO started fine and they did not find anything wrong. We need to keep pursuing this and get an explanation.

Post what you find after your dealer visit.

#7 ·
Well here is what i learned from my dealer I was told they had this issue in the 09 models they thought it was fixed because they didnt have the problem with the 2010's but it appears to be back they said the problem I was pretty much what tnelson stated above they ran multiple diagnstic tests on the engine and batt including fuel pressure test they said all is good they took very specific info from me right done to where i get my gas I was told this issue is starting to pop up in many 2011 muranos and that they sent all info to nissan in hopes they will come back with a fix for cold weather starting in a nutshell the engine is not getting enough fuel due to the ECM. They said hopefully nissan will send down orders to have the ECM reprogramed for cold weather starts In the meantime I was told if the car does NOT start too push the gas pedal a quarter of the way done while depressing the break this alows more fuel into the engine which would then alow it to start so basicly I was told to live with it until the get a directive from nissan to reprogram the ECM

#8 ·
Boy they fed you a whole bunch of Hooey..

For starters, older cars accelerator pedals were linked to the carburetor by a cable. You pushed on the gas pedal and it could set the choke, etc. / make a difference. Now a days, many automobiles have the “fly by wire” set up, this includes the Murano. Instead of a cable from the gas pedal to the carb, most new cars use computers and various components to make the car go. Prior to the car starting, you can press that gas pedal a quarter, a half or whatever on your Mo and it does absolutely nothing but move the friggin pedal. As for "this issue is starting to pop up in many 2011 muranos", (this is Hooey) well, you see little mention of it on the Murano related forums, so to me it is not quite the issue that the dealer told you it was. If it is not an issue affecting many, do not expect a TSB indicating reprogramming of ECM is mandated. Sure, some day you may see a TSB addressing your issue but don't hold your breath as it will be awhile.

#9 ·
Nissan Consumer Affairs

I talked to Consumer Affairs yesterday, and of course they had not heard of any issue we are discussing here. I told the dealership about the TSB I listed above, and they acted like they never heard of it - I find that hard to believe, especially since the issue came about with the 09 and 10 models.

I agree with BillArf on the accelerator process - these new vehicles do not have any mechanical parts that will allow introduction of fuel into the engine like the old cars that had accelerator pumps on the carb. The new ones are controlled electronically.

Im hope Nissan comes up with the OK to fix this - I do not like the feeling the engine is not going to start.

#10 ·
tnelson .......... As I mentioned in an earlier post here, the issue you are experiencing is not an issue that is being talked about on the Murano related forums that I frequent.... well, you have posted and I think one other. So, with this in mind this is issue is not common place lets say for the 2011 Murano. You say "a few" are experiencing this same issue but, again I see you and one other reporting this issue. My feeling is your Murano has something a muck. Hopefully, in time, the cause will become apparent..

#11 ·
Had the ECM reprogrammed which allows more fuel flow on cold start up - so far, it has started fine in all weather conditions. I found a TSB ( NTB12-063) that covered the 09 to 12 Murano, and also the 11 and 12 Quest. They have referred to this as "hard start when ambient temperature is near freezing". So apparently, Nissan is aware of this issue.

#13 ·
Hi I wanted to add to this, as I had a starting problem. No prior symtems, just parked it in the garage last night, and todaw wouldn't start. Only in the 40's here today. It would crank, starter engaged, almost start, but won't fire up. As hyderr wrote above, I used this from the manual to get it going (Below). That said it isn't running very smooth. Idle isn't too bad, but if I blip the accelerator, it goes up, but then when it comes back down, it almost stalls out. And the exhaust is smelly. I am wondering it the TPS is bad?

"If the engine is very hard to start because it is flooded, depress the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor and hold it. Push the ignition switch to the ON position to start cranking the engine. After 5 or 6 seconds, stop cranking by pushing the ignition switch to OFF.
After cranking the engine, release the accelerator pedal. Crank the engine with your foot off the accelerator pedal by depressing the brake pedal and pushing the push-button ignition switch to start the engine. If the engine starts, but fails to run, repeat the above procedure."

#14 ·
Scott m , we meet again...... same issue from my thread on the 09. Found the page in the manual on the starting tip. I didn't think you could flood a modern engine with fuel injection. Many have told me otherwise. B-arf comment is interesting however - hooey aside. That sounds reasonable too. Its tough to know what causes issues in cars these days. Ask three dealers or mechanics you get six answers.
One of the selling features to the electric market - 1000 fewer parts to deals with. Will keep the TSB from this thread for reference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.