Nissan Murano Forum banner

Main timing chain broke on Friday

5K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  zebelkhan 
#1 ·
On the hwy on my way to work... jumped on the accelerator to pass a vehicle and TC broke. Have it at the dealer and having them replace the engine ($4300). Normally I would like to swap it myself but I don't have the time or another vehicle to use while I swap the engine and I don't have a lift to drop the engine so I opted to let someone else deal with it. Big bummer. I haven't seen the old engine yet but I am almost certain the main guide failed. I had them pull the intake manifold and scope it to verify internal damage. 240,000 so I probably would not just do a valve job anyway even if I could get away with it. I came really close to parting it out or selling as is but everything else on the vehicle is practically new so make more sense to stick the money into it and keep a few more years.

For you guys, would it be a no brainer to put a new TC and main guide on the replacement engine? Seems silly if there is not a new one on there but I will be calling the dealer to make sure, forgot to ask this morning. Having them call me when the old engine is out tomorrow so I can take a look at it and inspect the Cat/pre-cat also.

#2 ·
Man - - - major, major bummer!

The transfer case can be done separately if it breaks. I'd keep the old one and just be sure to install new seals and oil.

#4 ·
I believe he's saying keep the old transfer case because it's a separate unit from the CVT in case you need to change it later on. For now replace with new TC seals and fresh oil.

#6 ·
Ah yes Most of time TC means transfer case on this forum. Good advice anyway:D

#7 ·
No opinions on whether to put a new timing chain and main guide on the replacement engine before it gets installed? I should have added the replacement engine has 100,000 on it. I'm going to have them put new ones on anyway, just curious what others would do.

#10 ·
The original engine went south because chain broke, probably because guides wore out. Replacement engine has 100k on it so it is a given that the guides and the chain are worn out. So I think your decision to put in a new guide and chain is a wise one.

#8 ·
I would put a new chain on too. With 100,000 on it, seems like it wouldn't make sense not to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.