2003 Murano SES Light - Code P0420 P0340 - My experience - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 12 Old 01-29-2012, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2003 Murano SES Light - Code P0420 P0340 - My experience

I have recently experienced the dreaded P0420 code along with some other ones and wanted to share it with you - you draw your own conclusions on what to do.

The P0420 code came on about a month ago.
The SES light went on, and not knowing what to do, I went to Autozone, who hooked up the computer and let me know. They also told me that I have another code, the P0340 - camshaft sensor fail on bank 1. I wondered if that was coincidental.

Started my research. Came on this fine forum and did a bunch of checks on what the code is, etc.
This is when I realized that this code indicates need to replace the cat on bank 1 (near firewall). Prices ranged greatly from about 800 through more than 2K.

I went to a local muffler shop to get a quote, and was quoted about 1K in work. I asked what the problem is and what is the best cheapest solution.
I was immediately told (after they hooked up the pc and checked) - yes, it is the cat and you need to get this done before it ruins your engine.

On this forum, i various shops, everybody, as soon as they saw the P0420 code, told me the cat needs to go. I got ready spend the $ (there are many other things I can spend that much money on, with wife and 3 kids, never mind the damn dog).

Before taking the car in, I ordered another camshaft sensor to replace.
Did more research on the P0420 on other forums too.
After about 3 hours of searching (yeah, when I get something in my head, I don't let go), I stumbled on a mechanic forum where they were discussing nissans.
Upon searching the P0420, I saw posts by a mechanic who said that the P040 may mean the cat change, but that many people have this code mis-diagnosed often at shops. He said many shops jump at the replacement upon seeing the code (that is when they stop diagnose, after they see the code).
He also said something else. He said, that the P0420 code almost never appears all by itself. There are other codes present with it.
Furthermore, he said, that to be sure, you should resolve all other codes before knowing the cat is in need of replacement, reset by pulling battery and driving for 100 miles.

So when the sensor arrived, i was getting ready to test his theory.
Had 2 codes, the P0420 (replace bank 1 cat) and the P0340 (bad camshaft sensor on bank 1).
Plugged the new sensor in and it immediately resolved the symptomatic hard starting went away.
Then, to make sure I follow the mechanic's instructions, I disconnected the battery for 10 minutes. Then after reconnecting, I took the car for a drive on a 100 mile ride.

Sure enough, after just over 100 miles, I looked down and the SES light was gone.
I was real happy with the result. Bottom line, if you get the code, make sure you resolve any other codes that appear with it, or you may be spending money that you do not need to get the code taken care of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-22-2012, 09:03 AM

03 Murano p0340 SES light on

Hello all,

I want to thank you all for the great information I have read through all of your posts to this issue called the P0340. I to have similar issue with this code. I have replaced the Cam Positioning Sensors (CPS) both front and rear. I did this since they have both been in the same amount of time (that I know of) and figured if one goes the other might too. I have erased the codes and reset the computer by a OBD 2 scanner and by disconnecting the battery for up to 10 minutes. The light stayed off for a while maybe 10 miles then came back. When I turn the ignition on the SES light of off but within a few seconds it lights up.

Any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Bstecher
post #3 of 12 Old 03-24-2012, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

When I ordered my sensor, did it from Ed bay. When replaced, it did not work. Had to buy from AutoZone and returned Ebay one. AutoZone one worked. Just fyi, as I hear some sensors are iffy. Go to AutoZone and get them to read out the codes after your change. Make sure they check for any codes, not just the first one on the screen. This will tell you what other issues may be present.
post #4 of 12 Old 03-27-2012, 08:55 AM

Thank you for the feed back. I replaced the CPS's on both bank 1 and 2. The murano is running much better now and not stalling out on me in traffic. My SES light is still on. I have driven it over 100 miles, disconnected the battery, and erased the codes with a OBD-II scanner with no good results. SES light comes back on within a few miles of driving. I took it to Nissan. According the the technician it has a mechanical failure in the timing system of the engine and it is causing the intake to stay wide open as if I were driving or accelerating at a fast rate. Which explains the hard start and a hard idle sometimes. It's running to rich because of this.

Nissan said they do not see this often and they do not carry the parts in stock since they have not performed a timing repair like this in over a year. Estimated cost of repair is $2500. $1200 just in labor.

They said I need the chain, sprockets, tensioners, o-rings, etc..

I know that all of this doesn't need to be replaced but while they are in there they might as well. It just puts a hurtin on my wallet.

Anyone have any ideas on how to make this repair more cost effective?

I hope this doesn't happen to anyone else because it is frustrating and costly, I called a Nissan dealership and inquired about the chain and how often it needs to be replaced (thinking it was like a belt) person I spoke with said "never, they last for a long time, unless something is wrong with it" I guess I got the 1 murano that has something wrong with it.
post #5 of 12 Old 03-27-2012, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Get another reading on the SES. Get the code and see what it is. Usually one code gets over riden by the another until that one is fixed and then the other comes back up. Have they tried the idle relearn procedure? Why the sudden need to change everything in there? I don't know about this dealer.
post #6 of 12 Old 03-27-2012, 11:01 AM

03 Murano SES light

So, I went and got another reading. This time it said is was P1136. Having to do with the intake valve solenoid. At the dealer they put another in and it still did not work. I guess I'm back to the timing replacement since the sensors are working.
post #7 of 12 Old 03-27-2012, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
P1136 troubleshooting requires checking the entire circuitry--harness connection/condition, grounding, besides replacing the selonoid valve itself. Have they done this? Does your invoice/work order actually said that they have replaced the valve or any wire/connection troubleshooting? If you have a service manual...or check here...look on EC section Index of /FSM/murano/2003 IF they actually fix this particular issue, once the SES is reset this code should not comeback. If it does then they missed something. Go to autozone and ask for a free reading on your SES light. Get all the codes--All of it.
post #8 of 12 Old 03-27-2012, 04:50 PM

03 Murano SES light

P1136 was the only code that came up, no other codes from the OBD2/1 scanner.
post #9 of 12 Old 03-27-2012, 04:53 PM

work order says swapped vtc solenoids, no back 2 cam phase adjustment at all, sprocket failure
post #10 of 12 Old 09-11-2012, 11:53 AM

Hi Ciaka,

The one from Autozone is Duralast brand???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaka View Post
When I ordered my sensor, did it from Ed bay. When replaced, it did not work. Had to buy from AutoZone and returned Ebay one. AutoZone one worked. Just fyi, as I hear some sensors are iffy. Go to AutoZone and get them to read out the codes after your change. Make sure they check for any codes, not just the first one on the screen. This will tell you what other issues may be present.
post #11 of 12 Old 09-11-2012, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

there was only one type of sensor they had..not sure if it was duralast though.
post #12 of 12 Old 09-11-2012, 12:25 PM

Ok. Just had mine replaced but it was the original Nissan: 23731 6J90B. Thanks.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: