Nissan Murano Forum banner

Bump Steer?

24K views 70 replies 13 participants last post by  Pilgrim 
#1 ·
I think what you are now experiencing is call bump steer (aka bumpsteer). I have been doing a lot research on this because I am pretty sure that is the problem I currently have too. Hopefully I can find a cheaper solution. Please let us know how it turns out when all is said and done.

Thanks,

Mod Note: This post was moved to it's own thread. -njjoe

#2 ·
Bumpsteer is more a phenomenon where the rear wheels are upset by changes in pavement, usually affecting vehicles with non-independent solid rear axles (beam suspension). The Murano does not have that.

Glad the OP's issue was covered under insurance.

#4 ·
So is it entirely impossible for the no to have bumpsteer? That's what it des like I have.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using AutoGuide.com App
Entirely impossible no, but unlikely to happen unless you are really hitting large bumps on the road. Have you checked your wheel alignment or the condition of your rear suspension?

#6 ·
What exactly do you feel?

#7 ·
When I hit a pothole or a bump in the road, the rear end kicks out all wishy washy like for a few seconds and then settles down and is fine. Mostly noticeable when the left wheel hits it, and at higher speeds. Kinda scary!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using AutoGuide.com App

#8 ·
Definitely not normal. Do you feel the ABS kicking in when it happens? Did you buy your MO used or new? Ever involved in a collision with it?

#9 ·
No, the ABS is not engaging. Never been in an accident. We bought it new and I started noticing it after our 3,000 mile trip to the Grand Canyon where we towed out 2,000lb tent trailer at 41k. At first I thought it was the tires, so I replaced them (no help). So then I thought maybe alignment - had that done (no help). Nissan convinced me it was the shocks, so they replace them under warranty, kinda :) (no help). Had an alignment done again (no help). Nissan claims its the tires, but I don't believe them. So frustrating!

#10 ·
Seeing how it happened after an extended trip towing, I would suspect a bent frame from tension of the hitch. Did the trailer have brakes?

#12 ·
Well, you can rule out what is the most obvious answer, but without investigating it, it is hard to tell. You've already checked the suspension and the alignment, so what else is left? A bent frame can alter the suspension mounting points. To have the rear end shimmy like that after a bump seems obvious to me as a bent frame or suspension component.

I suppose other things you can look at are whether you have a bent rim (but that would be obvious in a vibration). It is unlikely that a 2009 would wear out the rear shocks, even with some towing.

#13 ·
Yea, tire rotations rule out the rims, and Nissan replaced the shocks because they "had a leak" (and it's a side to side motion, not up and down). I suppose it could be the frame.

I suppose if one of the suspension parts is bent or cracked, could that cause toe-in (or out) when the wheel goes up and down (bumpsteer)?

#14 ·
I think it is definitely worth checking out.

#16 ·
subscribe guys.

I made a thread on specific gen http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/83-2nd-gen-2009/18185-strange-feel-over-bump.html and now after all the tires where checked I still feel the same thing over bump.. :(

let us know hokey whats goin on with our MO.

some facts
* MO delivered overinflated
* wifes takes it out of town with our relative (7 hrs drive) -- loaded with 5 pass with some cargo-- in other words they're fully loaded
* went to the dealer after I got the MO to have them checked the tires and let them do the right air--- no effect

I keep watching this thread

TIA

#18 ·
So after reading the wants to bounce off the road post, I now believe the bump steer is possible in a Mo. So I jacked up ther rear and crawled under my Mo and reduced the Toe on the left side. Now when I ride over my favorite bump on the freeway, there is no more swaying in the rear. :) So now I need to take it in and get a PROPER allignment done.

#19 ·
Also - make sure your tires are fully aired up. I run 40PSI in mine, as they're rated 44 PSI max. Low tires often make the rear end feel like it's sliding around.

I doubt this is your problem after the attention you've given it, but why not mention it?

#22 ·
Good luck with the problem Hokey and you will no doubt keep us posted as you have done so very well in the past. Really hope you find some kind of solution, which no doubt will assist others. Cheers.

#23 ·
UPDATEs?

I will be droping my MO this coming Monday for 1st oil change and I told my sales on my other issues. hope this will be remedied-- its really annoying. NOT to mention my rides is soooo crappy unsettling over crappy roads :(

#24 ·
I'm very certain that this is a rear Toe issue. I looked back at Toe numbers from the first alignment, and going into the alignment (back when things were fine), the left rear had a negative number (-0.10°), and then when they were done, the Toe was back on the positive side (0.13°) where the specification range is (0.04° to 0.18°). So I went under and over adjusted the Toe so that I was back to a negative number just to see how it felt. Wow, what a difference. No more bump steer.

Since I paid for the lifetime alignment at Firestone, I took it in last week just to see where I had put it to. I had it way up to a -0.24°. So that being "out of spec" they kindly adjusted it back to the proper +0.14°. And as you can guess, the bumpsteer is back.

I made a mark on the bolt and frame where I had adjusted it to prior to the alignment, so I crawled under and turned the bolt about 2/5 the way back to my mark where I estimated would be right around 0.0 (no Toe) - bumpsteer is gone again.

So what could be wrong with my suspension that would cause this bumpsteer when the Toe is "in spec"? I have no idea. Everything looks fine (no cracks, dent, or leaks). But with a slightly negative or no Toe, it seems to solve my problem.

#30 ·
Yea, I was the one that did the towing, but with a very light tent trailer.

I wonder if the rear springs are worn causing more upward travel than there should be hence resulting in the bump steer. dunno...

#32 ·
Bump steer is a front end problem, not a rear end problem.

Here's a good explanation from TurnFast! • Glossary

Bump steer-- is the introduction of steering input caused by a bump in the road surface. When a wheel travels up and down over a bump, it actually swings in an arc. If the steering tie-rod does not swing in the same arc as the suspension, the wheel will have an increase or decrease in toe and will result in a slight steering effect. Virtually all suspension geometries on street cars have some degree of bump steer, through it will be very slight. However, modifying a car's suspension by using lowering springs can increase the amount of bump steer. Bump steer causes tire scrub, and loss of traction if experienced during cornering. If you're altering you car's suspension, measures should be taken to minimize or eliminate bump steer.

#38 ·
Hmmm. if you google "rear bump steer" you find lots of things too, like videos, and rear bump steer kits.

Bump Steer
Interesting! First time I've run into the term used for rear suspension. Learn something new every day.

I would echo the thought that if it's actually a factor on the rear end, it probably means there's a problem or bent component somewhere. But if your adjustment solves the problem, I see no reason you can't just continue using that solution. The main thing to watch for is tire wear.

#36 ·
If you keep the out of specs but no steering issues alignment, in time you will know if your tire is suffering or not--uneven wear. If not, then its all good a no harm done--keep it that way.:29: Better to have good control on any driving condition than keeping within specs but getting that bump steering everytime. When doing an alignment, all you want is to get a good life with your tires and a good, straight, steering without jumping on any road condtitions. I'd say dont worry too much if you are a little out of specs. Maybe a bend metal somewhere, I dunno, but it is difficult to find this and its not worth the trouble so long you are driving straight.

#40 ·
1. Yes, bump steer absolutely occurs on rear suspensions if it's independent. The rear toe link does create some very slight in/out motion. It's all a function of the actual geometry of the suspension's design. There are many variables operating here. I had to change the rear toe links on my GT3 because of excessive rear bump steer on the track. (Well known problem on that car).

2. "They all do it" is basically true. It is a function of the design. My 03 SE did it, my 09 LE does it and my mother's 12 LE does it.

3. Damage to suspension parts obviously could alter mechanics, but this is a design and lack of enough development issue on Nissan's part. I suspect that when they raised the Altima's platform a bit, the design didn't tolerate it well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.