Hesitation when accelerating - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 45 Old 03-27-2012, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Unhappy Hesitation when accelerating

I have a 2003 Nissan Murano, and following a complete tune-up by a local mechanic, I am having a slight accelaration problem. Once the car is warmed up, when I accelarate from a dead stop, if I don't give it enough gas, the engine has a slight hesitation. Once I am above 2000 rpm and cruising along, I can accelerate without any problem. I was told by the mechanic that the on-board computer may need to be "re-flashed," since power was cut off to the system during the tune-up. He said that this would have to be dome at a Nissan dealer. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 03-27-2012, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
You're not the only one having this problem. You're going to have to be more specific for us to help you diagnose it. At this point, it's either the throttle body, ground under the dash, or a bad CVT. Depending on the failure characteristics will tell which one is at fault.

So, describe in detail what is happening to your RPM's. From a complete stop you push on the gas pedal. Do you observe either:

1) The RPM's stay low. When you give it more gas the MO will hesitate a bit and then race off.
2) The RPM's follow the gas pedal but the MO stays put. Eventually the MO will take off.

If it's #1 then you're Throttle Body is bad or you have a bad ground under your dash.
If it's #2 then you're CVT is bad and it's time to replace it.

After 142K miles, my MO is history. Now sporting a loaded silver 2012 Ford Edge Limited with 20" wheels.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 45 Old 03-27-2012, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

The problem is more like #1. It doesn't do this all the time, but enough to be annoying. The hesitation feeling is like the vehicle is jerking somewhat. It accelarates as I give it more gas, but acts as if it is not given enough fuel to get the job done. This is especially a problem when I go from a virtual idle and have to go up a slight incline. It jerks once or twice, and as the rpm's rise above 1500 or 2000, the car runs smoothly.

post #4 of 45 Old 03-27-2012, 07:28 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Sounds like you will need to perform the Idle Relearn procedure as your ECM may has lost its memory due to prolonged battery disconnection. You can perform the procedure yourself (steps are posted elsewhere on this forum, I just cannot remember where!) or have dealer do it for you.

Former owner of 2004 SL AWD
post #5 of 45 Old 03-27-2012, 07:37 PM

my 04 sl is doing the same thing. Some days it runs perfect and others it does it all day. It seems to be around 1200rpms and worse when it's hot and under load like when the ac is on. Almost acts like its in to low of gear. I've replaced plugs, cam sensors, crank sensor, air filter, all vacume lines, battery, and cleaned the throttle body and maf sensor. I wish we could figure it out. I love my mo but this is driving me crazy.
post #6 of 45 Old 04-02-2012, 05:24 PM

My 05 Murano is doing the same thing. Starts fine. Idles fine. but, from a complete stop, it's almost like it doesnt even know I'm pressing the gas pedal. for 5-10 seconds it barely starts creeping and then, at about 1000 RPM or so, it goes like normal.

As long as I'm moving (10 mph or more), it drives fine.

It doesnt do it all the time, though. And when it happens, it's usually within the first 5 minutes of driving on surface streets. If I get pas that five minute mark, then I'm good to go all day. Well, at least until I turn off the car.

It's a crapshoot. I've got it at the dealership as we speak and even they can't figure it out yet since it appears to be so random.
post #7 of 45 Old 04-02-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by effinay View Post
My 05 Murano is doing the same thing. Starts fine. Idles fine. but, from a complete stop, it's almost like it doesnt even know I'm pressing the gas pedal. for 5-10 seconds it barely starts creeping and then, at about 1000 RPM or so, it goes like normal.

As long as I'm moving (10 mph or more), it drives fine.

It doesnt do it all the time, though. And when it happens, it's usually within the first 5 minutes of driving on surface streets. If I get pas that five minute mark, then I'm good to go all day. Well, at least until I turn off the car.

It's a crapshoot. I've got it at the dealership as we speak and even they can't figure it out yet since it appears to be so random.

Right after I posted this I got a call from the dealership. They were able to get the problem to occur while they were driving it around, so they were able to get a good reading from the computer.

It was the transmission. More specifically, the valve body. It's shot. I'm not sure exactly, but I'm guessing something is preventing pressures from building... maybe a seal or something that's gone bad. Thank God Nissan extended the warranty to 120,000 miles. I'm at 110,000 now.
post #8 of 45 Old 04-02-2012, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by effinay View Post
Right after I posted this I got a call from the dealership. They were able to get the problem to occur while they were driving it around, so they were able to get a good reading from the computer.

It was the transmission. More specifically, the valve body. It's shot. I'm not sure exactly, but I'm guessing something is preventing pressures from building... maybe a seal or something that's gone bad. Thank God Nissan extended the warranty to 120,000 miles. I'm at 110,000 now.

Were you getting cel lights or codes?
post #9 of 45 Old 04-02-2012, 10:56 PM

No lights, no codes. They drove it around until it started happening. When it happened, they plugged in something to do a "consult." That's how the tech determined what was happening.
post #10 of 45 Old 04-09-2012, 03:12 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
This is a problem with the CVT, a common problem that's been affecting the Rogue and Altima. Nissan states it's by design, but I wonder how long it'll be until a recall is issued.

Nissan's quality has been going downhill for some time now.
post #11 of 45 Old 04-09-2012, 05:10 PM

INTERESTING!!!

My MO just turned over 107K miles. If this problem is related to the valve body then I'll definitely be turning it over to my local Nissan dealership! I've noticed the tranny not responding some this year already. If it happens consistently then I'll be taking it over for sure.

After 142K miles, my MO is history. Now sporting a loaded silver 2012 Ford Edge Limited with 20" wheels.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 45 Old 04-09-2012, 06:36 PM

Nissan released a bulletin last year, Nissan Publications

IF YOU CONFIRM There is a slight vehicle hesitation type feel and/or a surge type feel when all of the following conditions are present: Speed between 10 and 45 mph, and Transmission torque converter clutch is engaged (lock mode), and Engine RPM between 1200 and 2000, and Light acceleration. IMPORTANT NOTE: Very slight vehicle hesitation type feel and/or surge type feel under these conditions are a normal operating characteristic of this vehicle and are within design specifications for the vehicle. However, for those customers who are particularly sensitive to this characteristic of their vehicle, the actions in this bulletin may be performed for customer satisfaction. ACTIONS 1. Refer to Step 2 in the Service Procedure to confirm this bulletin applies to the vehicle you are working on. 2. If this bulletin applies, make sure the customer is informed of the Customer Information in this bulletin. 3. If after informing the customer of the Customer Information, the customer voluntarily choosesto have the condition addressed with the specification change, then: Reprogram the TCM, and Install the Torque Rod Service Kit listed in the Parts Information. See this bulletin for further detail.
post #13 of 45 Old 04-09-2012, 06:48 PM

Looks like that one is just for Altima's.

post #14 of 45 Old 04-09-2012, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Your car is broken! :eek:

2012 SL AWD Tinted Bronze
post #15 of 45 Old 04-09-2012, 11:41 PM

Warhammer, Rogue, My Mo, Altima have all had the same issues.. look it up.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: