Steering Wheel Shake - Help! - Page 4 - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#46 Old 10-10-2012, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
vibration

I just fixed a similar problem...I first noticed mine vibrating in the steering wheel and the gas pedal. I let it go for a month or so because I new I needed struts and other items replaced.
It got worse. I could really feel it in the gas pedal (vibration) now and felt like my tire had a bad flat spot. I was convinced it was the passenger wheel hub/bearing. I had to replace that cv shaft anyway so I threw in the bearing as well.
The problem was still there. It ended up being the driver side hub/bearing and it was transfering the vibration toward the right. Stupid car!
I never had a humming or grinding noise like a bad bearing and the wheels would not woble like a bad bearing. Just a vibration that turned to a real bad vibration!
Also, as soon as I removed the hub and saw the dry rust dust I knew I found the problem! So happy!!

I also just replaced the control arms. The bushing were ripped in half. $149. free shipping (ebay) and they came assembled with bushings and ball joints. The job took less than an hour laying in the dirt in the mountains!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#47 Old 10-12-2012, 02:01 PM

The vibration tool you mentioned was told to me as well. Guess what? No one out here has it. They then said after the axels that it was doubtful the tool would help anymore anyways. My thoughts are that they don't want to spend money to buy the tool....

The bracket was definitely on the passenger side. He showed it to me, but I am not nearly as car savvy as all of you, so I can't tell you which one it was.

After you guys mentioned breaks, I started paying more attention to them. Now I notice only at quite slow speeds (just like the tranny) that it judders (if that's a word!) No idea how to explain, not a vibration but like the pedal is quickly moving up and down in small amounts. That's definitely a new thing and it's not consistent.

I've been fighting to get the transmission looked at, but even staying overnight they claim they can't duplicate anything. I'm not a mechanic nor am I even mechanically inclined at all, but I know my car very well, and I know it's not right!

As for the last comment from RCramer - what would be the best way to evaluate the wheel hub/bearing? I'm assuming they probably checked all of that the numerous times they swapped the tires and balanced them, etc. Should I take her to a tire place instead?
#48 Old 10-12-2012, 03:16 PM

Most of the time you can jack the car up, grab the tire with one hand on top and one on the bottom and push/pull the tire back and forth. It will normally move as a whole with the strut if you're try but, the feeling you're looking for is more like your lug nuts are loose like a woble.

Mine didn't have any woble though. I knew it was the hub from previous experience but, the MO felt like it had a flat spot on the tire and the vibration was consistant with wheel speed. I had already tried rotating the tires every wich way to no avail.

Also, knowing now, I wouldn't have waisted my time replacing one side. I would've replaced both at the same time.

As far as the brakes...I had warped rotors when I first bought mine. The steering wheel would shake bad when I applied the brakes but, not when I didn't. Mine were warped BAD! You may have warped rotors but, I doubt they will cause it to shake without hitting the brakes. Now, if your brake caliper is hanging up it may but, it will also pull your car to one side unless both are hung up. All you have to do to check that is...put your care in nutral and coast to a stop. If it stops itself like you touched the brakes without you touching the break then they're hanging up.
#49 Old 10-16-2012, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
rcramer7 - how are you sure that the shake was caused or cured by the wheel bearing/hub assembly. I have the same steering wheel vibrations and can also feel it in the gas pedal. Ive replaced both outer tie rod ends but it is still there. You say it was the driver side hub for yours but looking at your previous comments it looks like you replaced a lot suspension related components. CV shaft, struts, both wheel bearings, and both lower control arms with bushings and ball joints all new. Did you do some of these and the vibration was still there, or how do you know for sure the hub was the real cause for the vibration? thanks in advance.
#50 Old 10-18-2012, 03:10 PM

Just wondering if you tried "Road Force Balancing" the Wheels?

2003 SL AWD Sunlit Copper
Converted Halogens to OEM HID
Factory Audio Unit from '06 MO- Can now play MP3
Hoen Fogs
Hoen City Lights
Rear Bumper protector
T-Rex Grill
Side Mouldings
#51 Old 10-18-2012, 08:53 PM

vibration

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvd006 View Post
rcramer7 - how are you sure that the shake was caused or cured by the wheel bearing/hub assembly. I have the same steering wheel vibrations and can also feel it in the gas pedal. Ive replaced both outer tie rod ends but it is still there. You say it was the driver side hub for yours but looking at your previous comments it looks like you replaced a lot suspension related components. CV shaft, struts, both wheel bearings, and both lower control arms with bushings and ball joints all new. Did you do some of these and the vibration was still there, or how do you know for sure the hub was the real cause for the vibration? thanks in advance.

I replaced one thing at a time. My cv boot was spitting oil so I started with that. Then, I tried pass. hub. Then, I put struts on it (just cause they were bad). Then, I did the driver side hub and THAT fixed the vibration. I also found out my control arm bushings were cracked during the process so... I replace both sides w/new ball joints and control arms/bushing. Plus, I saw that the oil cooler o-ring was leaking........
I know it sounds odd to do one thing at a time but, where I live we can't work on vehicles. I have to do everything up in the mountains on the weekends. When I say weekend that means Saturday. Also, If I don't have parts I can't get them. If I don't get the car back together I have to drive my jeep home, leave the car, and drive the jeep back up the next weekend.
#52 Old 10-30-2012, 11:04 PM

Nissan USA's attempt

Hi All,

Today I made the drive over the pass to Idaho to meet Mr. Nissan. He was the service technician that they sent in from Washington to evaluate the MO. After taking a detailed history and a test drive, he sent me shopping and did some evaluating. A few hours late, he came back with an answer: TIRES.

Can you believe it?! What I said to every dealer from March onward was that this problem never existed until I got new tires. Apparently he switched out the tires on my MO for a new MO's factory issued tires (Goodyear Eagle's that I had before this) after driving the new MO to note the vibration issues it had on the same road we had driven. He claims after replacing the tires, the issues at high speeds - dramatic shaking in the front which has now moved to the rear since last update - was gone completely, and that while the steering wheel still vibrated a bit (side to side shimmy), it was dramatically better and nothing like before. I don't know because he swapped the tires before I returned so I could not drive it. He also bolted as soon as they called me so I couldn't even talk to him in person - so weird. Interestingly the mechanic who was working with me at this dealership the whole time did attempt the same fix, but he did not notice any difference. This was before the new axels however and Mr. Nissan said that he also cleaned the wheel attachments (not quite sure exactly what he said here but that's the gist) to ensure a better fit. Mr. Nissan believes one of the tires was harder than the others but this Nissan dealership doesn't have a Road Force machine so he couldn't get a RFV reading.

So now I've got a complain into Michelin and I'm supposed to hear back from the supervisor I spoke with's supervisor because I don't want a Michelin or Uniroyal or BF Goodrich product if they make them! Clearly they have a quality control issue if I got not one but two bad sets of tires. I'm hoping I can get my money back - I asked for a one time courtesy refund, so we'll see what happens.

But now I'm back to needing another set of tires! At this point, I'm tempted just to get Goodyear Eagles again because I know they didn't do this before since I've had two sets of them. I wanted something different because I didn't like how they wore, but now that I know that my control arms were bad, that's what most likely caused the cupping and the uneven wear. Since I've got new ones, maybe I'll be safe!

Just wanted to give everyone an update and to say thanks again for all the suggestions. I'm still holding my breath that the tires will fix it, because I've heard it all before that they know what'll do it!
#53 Old 10-31-2012, 12:41 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
If you don't have to deal with a whole lot of snow, I have been very satisfied with BFG Long Trail touring 235/65/18. I got it from Sams club--best deal that time 2 years ago around 650 OTD. It maybe a little higher now...seems like the same tire cost more and more each year. Anyways, I really hope a tire replacement would fix your main issue which I have suspected since the start. Good luck.
#54 Old 11-26-2012, 11:18 PM

Hi everyone.I have been reading this post and i have same steering vibration problem with my 2004 murano (85k) AWD. Vibration started with warped rotors. The car had a vibration between 50mph and 70mph and vibration got worst when braking at any speed. Replaced rotors and pads and vibration when braking was completely gone but 50-70mph was still there. Had the tires balanced and rotated and the vibration was still there. Took it to dealer for an oil change and they said that driver's side outer tie rod was little bit loose. I got moogs tie rods and replaced them both and had an alignment done and the vibration is still there.Took it to my trusted mechanic as the last resort and they inspected the car's suspension and steering and found nothing wrong. Everything was tight and solid. I trust this guy because in the last 10 years this guy never gave me a wrong diagnostic just to make money not even on a muffler. He said that it was tire or a rim issue. He said that the front struts are worn a little bit but that wouldn't cause a vibration at that speed it will cause a steering to wobble over bumps. They balanced tires and rotated them and the vibration was little bit less but it was still there. The mechanic said that the wheels took a lot of weights one wheel that was on the front and now is on the back took 4 oz. worth of weights. They couldn't tell if it was a tires or rims. I just put on brand new tires good year assurance maxfuel and they are very quiet and comfortable comparing to my old kumhos but the vibration is still there. I just took a 400 mile trip over the weekend and i was able to notice something unusual. I noticed that there was a vibration between 50 and 70 mph in the steering wheel and than after a while i felt it in the rear too and than it was almost completely gone.than i started paying more attention to this and the road quality too. What i realized is that when going into the long right curve the vibration starts and continues while on the straightaway and when going into the long left curve the vibration disappears and continues down the straightaway and this was happening all the time and the speed was at 65mph. this might sound crazy but Is there a chance that my warped rims are throwing them self out of balance and back in balance because in the curves one side will rotate faster than the other and the warped part of the rim will rotate to a different position when all wheels are back at same speed. I hope this makes sense or i have problem with the differential. Thank you.
#55 Old 11-27-2012, 12:11 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
I suspect a bad wheel bearing/hub. That could cause vibration, although actual wheel shake isn't normal with a bad hub.

Since it's noticeable when you turn right, I'd have a front end shop check the left front hub and see if it's bad. A right turn transfers weight to the left side. If the left is good, check the right front. They're not that hard to replace and it sounds like you are a DIY type.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
#56 Old 12-28-2012, 09:55 AM

I had this problem and swapped out the front rotors. Better for a little bit but then I had a noise (in a different thread) and they replaced one of the front wheel bearings and the noise is gone and coincidentally the steering stopped shaking!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: