Sudden vibration at high speed (felt like a flat but not one) - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 04-09-2012, 11:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sudden vibration at high speed (felt like a flat but not one)

This is happening for the 2nd time in a few months now. Was on the freeway doing 80 mph (nice sunny day and CVT giving me one of the better responsive drives) and then felt a slight shudder. The shudder kept growing to a point I thot I had a flat and wanted to pull over (all within few seconds). Since I was close to the exit I had to take, I thot I might as well get off the freeway and check the tires. Once I was off the freeway, the vibration stopped and ofcourse there was no flats. The car was driving perfectly straight..did not feel any dragging to either side. Before I take it to the stealership, wanna get an idea what I am dealing with..

-------------------------------------------------

SL '06 Merlot pearl, Cafe latte leather, bose , Sunroof
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-09-2012, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
S-

Can you replicate the problem? Unless you can repeat the problem it may be difficult for the dealer to diagnose. If you take the MO back to 80 MPH does the vibration occur every time? You said it happened twice; did both instances occur on the same stretch of roadway?

Check the balancing weights on the wheels. Are any missing?

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
#3 Old 04-09-2012, 12:44 PM

ooo I thought it was just coincidence as it was a perfectly good stretch of road. Yes, it was the same exact part of the freeway where I had the problem last time around. I gave the car a rotation/balancing couple weeks back. Will check if the balancing weights are on once I get out of work.

#4 Old 04-09-2012, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivi View Post
Yes, it was the same exact part of the freeway where I had the problem last time around.
If it was me, I would go back to that very same stretch of road, and travel the same lane at 80 MPH. If the the vibration reappears then you know it is the road and not your MO.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
#5 Old 04-09-2012, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Keep traveling that same stretch of road at 80 mph until the police pull you over for speeding!

2012 SL AWD Tinted Bronze
#6 Old 04-09-2012, 03:37 PM

@njjoe - I travel the same road/lane everyday to work. So, I kinda know it aint the turf. It wasnt just a bad "feel" of the surface.

#7 Old 04-09-2012, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
How long were you at 80MPH before it started to vibrate? I'd do the same on another stretch of highway to try and duplicate it. Does it happen when you hit 80? After a certain time? Only on that part of the highway?

Lots of questions here...

After 142K miles, my MO is history. Now sporting a loaded silver 2012 Ford Edge Limited with 20" wheels.
#8 Old 04-09-2012, 04:33 PM

Might have been at 80 mph for a mile or 2.
Yes, was at 80 when it started wobbling.
Did not happen before that stretch, and got off the freeway after. But I can tell its not the road thats creating the problem. I travel the same road for years..its nice and smooth.
I will push the MO (lol 80 is really a push for the MO) on the way back home this evening and post the observations tonight.

#9 Old 04-09-2012, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
If this vibration happened at the same speed on the same exact point on the freeway I would say that through a freak misfortune, and completely by chance, you hit the natural frequency of the suspension pieces, maybe even the spring, which caused the wheel to vibrate.

2004 SL AWD - Super Black - Leather Package (Café latte) - Tow Package - Floor Mats - Splash Guards - Cargo Area Protector - Rear Bumper Protector - Front Window Tint - Dawn Color Matched Body Side Molding – Day Time Running Lights - PAC-NIS1 Aux Audio input - Pressure Pro TPMS and Anti Theft Sensor Locks - 7" Xenarc VGA Touchscreen - Compaq EVO e-PC 2.0 GHz Pentium 4 Carputer with 120GB HD, DSATX PSU / Shutdown Controller, Road Runner Front End, iGuidance 3.0 Navigation, DVD player, Internet access, XM satellite radio, Deluo GPS receiver, Linksys WiFi Antenna, TERK XM antenna - Tweeter 22uF CAP mod - Magnetbra - Custom Backup Camera - Aries Polished Stainless Steel Sidestep (nerf) Bars - Euro-Tech Nudge Bar - Homemade Lower Grill Cover - Auxiliary Projection Fog Lamps - Aluminum Fuel Tank Shields - Wade Window Deflectors - Nissan Sunroof Deflector - Scosche UBRH Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: