03-07 MO Acceleration Hesitation -- The Rest Of The Story - Page 5 - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
#61 Old 02-22-2013, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
The only thing that is covered by the warranty is the CVT itself. The controlling system; i.e. TCM, is not. If you're having issues with the TCM then you need to get it replaced. They're pricy, but most of the cost of the $1k they're charging you is the TCM itself. It's rather easy to get to so your labor costs should be rather low.

See if they'll give you a break on the cost of the part. There is no way it will cost them that much for the part. Also see if there is another dealership in town. They'll compete with each other quite agressively!
Thanks Warhammer,

I am suspecting and also hoping that this is a simple electrical issue. The P1701 code mentions that the power to the TCM has failed. I see that the dealer also reported that I have corroded battery terminals. Maybe these issues are related.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 02-24-2013, 07:07 PM

Thanks for this post Warhammer and I'm glad you got away reasonably at 185 for the ancillary work. Don't like the idea of that 1000 dollar TCM issue someone is talking about, hope that gets straightened out at a lower rate.
#63 Old 02-26-2013, 06:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Anything I can do to help. Wouldn't the internet be a better place if everybody tried to help with detailed picture oriented write-ups.

After 142K miles, my MO is history. Now sporting a loaded silver 2012 Ford Edge Limited with 20" wheels.
#64 Old 03-04-2013, 01:30 PM

1st: Thank you Warhammer and all contributors. I've read through this post along with your links to the original How To -- Throttle Body, Spark Plugs, Firewall Valve Cover and Hesitation when accelerating.

I have an issue that is similar to the various ones described in those posts, but not exactly. I am hoping for some guidance before I head to my local mechanic or (gasp) the local Nissan dealership.

The last 2 mornings I have started my Murano (2004/ SE / 99,200 miles), reversed out of my garage, put the car into drive and then stepped on the gas. The car will begin to move forward but with zero power. The RPM's do not increase. Yesterday I had enough juice to get the car to actually climb out of my driveway and onto the street. Once on the street, I could drive but the car's speed would not go above 5mph or so (RPM's stayed low). Yesterday I returned to my garage and let the car sit for 20 minutes. When I restarted it - everything was fine. Today, I could not even get out of the driveway. I immediately put the car in park and shut off the engine. I waited about 10 seconds and then restarted it. It was good to go. I've run a few errands since that time and each time I've turned the car off and restarted it; it has been fine.

I have been diligent about getting all of the work done on the recommended service intervals. One year ago I had misfire with an error code of P0304 and had all of the spark plugs and coils replaced. About a month ago I had the same misfire with an error message of P0303.The iginition coil boots had become shredded. My local mechanic did not charge me for labor (just parts) because he said he should have caught it a year ago when he was "under the manifold" for the spark plugs and coils.

In the other threads I have seen mention of electrical issues and groundings, so at the risk of giving too much (and possibly unrelated) information, there have recently been some weird electrical issues going on with the Murano. On some mornings when I first drive the car the radio will have a loud static tapping sound coming through. When I turn off the car and then restart it - the tapping will be gone. Additionally, if the front passenger window is all the way down and I tap the electronic control to automatically bring it all of the way back up, it will go up, pause and then return about 1/3 of the way back down. I will then have to slowly raise the window until it is up and stays. The next time - it will be fine.

On occasion I have had slow starts from a red light once I press on the gas but that is definitely not the norm. I have also not had any check engine or service engine lights come on with this recent issue. If any of you have thoughts or guidance on this issue I would appreciate hearing them. Especially if you think this is something I need to go to my actual Nissan dealer (CVT warranty issue) or if it could be handled by my local mechanic. Thank you very much!!
#65 Old 03-05-2013, 09:29 PM

Just a quick update in case anyone is following along:

I stopped in to my local shop to check if there were any message codes being generated but there were not. They had never heard of this kind of thing happening.

Next stop was my local Nissan. As soon as I explained it to the service guy, he said one thing: CVT. He went on to explain that there is a fail safe built into the system and that if something within the CVT is failing, it will regulate and reduce power. The fail safe can be "reset" by turning off the car and then turning it back on but it does not change the fact that something is failing. He said he did not even need to look at it but rather just confirm that my car is still within the CVT warranty period ( it is ). Since my Murano is an older model, the VIN was not in their computer system so he sent in a request for verification. He said he would expect to have confirmation in the morning and then he would order the new (read: refurbished - i.e. new to me) CVT. Bottom line is that by the end of the week I am expecting to have a new CVT transmission in my Murano! I am guessing that is a good thing and hope not to have to deal with this issue again.
#66 Old 03-06-2013, 11:24 AM

Only thing I can say is: GOOD!

One more data point for those that are having hesitations with their MO. Would be good to get specifics from the technician as to what codes were thrown by the TCM in your situation.

After 142K miles, my MO is history. Now sporting a loaded silver 2012 Ford Edge Limited with 20" wheels.
#67 Old 04-06-2013, 01:19 PM
mat

Hi all
I am new to this forum.
My problem started with the shifter. 3 weeks ago, I wanted to park and then I noticed there was a mismatch between the shifter position indicated on the dashboard and the shifter position. To reverse, you have to move the shifter to P and to drive the shifter should be at N position. And obviously I could not get parking position so impossible to remove the key. But after trying many positions, D, N, L, R were ok and mutching with the display but impossible to get P displayed since P position still indicates R on the dashbord. I went to garage I was told the problem was related to a sort of contactor somewhere in the engine. It was replaced and everything was ok. The day after the throttle started hesitating but for just few seconds. The second day, it turned worst. After driving for more than 30 mins and after the traffic light turned green I floored the pedal but nothing. The car was moving but at about 1mph and the rpm not moving. When I changed the shifter to N or P and floored the pedal, it worked and rpm indicator followed. After 3-5 min I was able to get power and move. I went back to the garage and he said the first thing he noticed was the battery which is dying and it may explain this electrical problem. He checked with his scanner but nothing. Now I changed the battery but I still have the same problem.
Any idea?
#68 Old 04-10-2013, 02:19 PM

I'm having the exact problem (hesitation, no engine light, code P0868 stored). By the way Warhammer, many thanks for posting this valuable information. My problem is that I'm literally 30 miles out of warranty. I've opened a case with consumer relations but they won't escalate it to a regional office until I have a diagnosis, which is scheduled for Friday at 1:30 (they say I'll have to pay the $100 plus taxes for the scan, even though I already have all the codes...can I do anything to avoid this, like show them the TSB or let them know I have a case number with consumer relations?).

Does anyone have any experience on whether or not consumer relations will feel compelled to cover this under warranty? Also, I'm concerned about driving it for another couple days and getting even further outside the warranty coverage (by the time I get to the dealer on Friday, I'll probably be 125-150 over warranty). I've let them know that both our cars are Nissan (we're on our 6th Nissan) and hope that will help my cause. If they won't cover it, I'll just trade it in but I REALLY don't need another car payment right now!
#69 Old 04-10-2013, 05:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daltonvol View Post
(they say I'll have to pay the $100 plus taxes for the scan, even though I already have all the codes...can I do anything to avoid this, like show them the TSB or let them know I have a case number with consumer relations?).
Spend the money. Right now you should do whatever it takes to get that thing covered.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
#70 Old 04-12-2013, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Well, I am having this acceleration problem now too. Usually happens when accelerating from a stop and usually on a hill. At some point the car just acts like I stopped pressing the pedal and limps along for a few seconds at very low power, and then recovers. I did check (and tighten) the air duct to the engine, so I dont think that issue is causing the problem. Brand new air filter as well. No check engine light comes on, ever.

Next stop is the Nissan dealer, we'll see what they say. I will bring up the relevant TSB. Thank goodness I am still within that CVT warranty period.

Overall I have to say over the 8 years I've owned the car I have been disappointed with this CVT technology. It just seems like Nissan did not tune this thing right, it always seems to be geared too "high" anywhere except crusing on a flat road. I've never been able to put 87 gas in it without the engine pinging, since the CVT keeps it at the lowest RPMs possible all the time, and I always put it in "S" mode going up long hills since it just doesn't want to rasie those RPMs enough. FYI- I hate "S" mode in general, it always makes the car jerky, as if the transmission is locked into a really low gear. Not like "sport" mode on other cars at all.

Sorry for the rant, just can't wait to say goodbye to the CVT in a few years. Looked cool on paper, not so good in reality (at least in the Murano).
#71 Old 04-12-2013, 01:53 PM

Well...not much to say to the last post...except...

Everybody just needs to be aware of the potential issues behind new automotive technology. Given the CVT has been around for years, this CVT is the the first new generation CVT that went into Nissan's vehicles in many years. It was released in 2003 and finished in 2007 before Nissan did a major upgrade for the 09's. Goes to show that with new technology, there will be a break-in period with lots of bugs. And those that buy these vehicles are the guinea pigs or test subjects. At the very least, Nissan held up their end of the bargain and extended the warranty for those that had major issues over the years.

Mine is a 2004, CVT had issues with hesitation, and was swapped out by the dealer free of charge. Everything has been fine ever since. I absolutely love my MO. The best vehicle I've ever owned to date!

#72 Old 04-13-2013, 08:12 AM

Well, I took it to the dealer yesterday. I knew I had a few other codes besides the P0868, one of which was a P1800 which had something to do with VIAS solenoid valve open, or something like that. Their master tech said that he can't properly diagnose any transmission issue until the P1800 code is fixed and cleared which they will do for about $450. I think I'll have my mechanic fix it for, hopefully, about $300. Will I then have to pay the $120 to Nissan again for the diagnostic scan (I assume this will be the case)?
#73 Old 04-16-2013, 01:01 PM

Latest update...I had my local mechanic replace the VIAS solenoid this morning. When I picked it up, I drove a couple miles and everthing was fine. After that errand, I got in the MO, put it in reverse to back out of the parking space and, when I put it in drive, there was a "clunky" noise and I had the acceleration hesitation. After driving it about two blocks, I had absolutely NO response from the gas pedal. I had it on the floor...nothing. Reverse seemed to barely work so I backed to another parking space and rolled to a stop. Turned it off and back on and, while in park, the engine would rev up when I pressed the gas. However, if I put it in gear, it was back to no response. I've had it towed back to the dealer who will finish the diagnostic that I had done last Friday (free of charge!). As weird as it sounds, I'm actually hoping for a transmission issue (valve body or entire transmission) and that Nissan will cover it. Anybody else experienced these symptoms? Advice?

*I heard from the dealer just now (4/17/13) and, as he put it, "your transmission is burnt up." So I'm waiting on Custumer Relations to get back with me to see if they'll pay for it. He gave me a price of $4,024.18 "out the door" for a new transmission (I assume that is a rebuilt one, right?), radiator, plugs and something else.
#74 Old 04-17-2013, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daltonvol View Post
Latest update...I had my local mechanic replace the VIAS solenoid this morning. When I picked it up, I drove a couple miles and everthing was fine. After that errand, I got in the MO, put it in reverse to back out of the parking space and, when I put it in drive, there was a "clunky" noise and I had the acceleration hesitation. After driving it about two blocks, I had absolutely NO response from the gas pedal. I had it on the floor...nothing. Reverse seemed to barely work so I backed to another parking space and rolled to a stop. Turned it off and back on and, while in park, the engine would rev up when I pressed the gas. However, if I put it in gear, it was back to no response. I've had it towed back to the dealer who will finish the diagnostic that I had done last Friday (free of charge!). As weird as it sounds, I'm actually hoping for a transmission issue (valve body or entire transmission) and that Nissan will cover it. Anybody else experienced these symptoms? Advice?

*I heard from the dealer just now (4/17/13) and, as he put it, "your transmission is burnt up." So I'm waiting on Custumer Relations to get back with me to see if they'll pay for it. He gave me a price of $4,024.18 "out the door" for a new transmission (I assume that is a rebuilt one, right?), radiator, plugs and something else.

Hmm.. crazy. How much mileage did you have on your car?
#75 Old 04-18-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xigjwkjkljf323 View Post
Hmm.. crazy. How much mileage did you have on your car?
When I opened the claim with Customer Relations, I had about 120,050. Now I'm up to about 120,200. When I bought it, it had 36 miles on it...so my problem come up when I was about 15 miles beyond the warranty coverage.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: