Cat Converter, o2 sensor, and evap system show all not ready! - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 07-06-2012, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cat Converter, o2 sensor, and evap system show all not ready!

Hi guys-

Been a while since i've been on here. Haven't had a problem in quite a while. Looking for some info here, I failed emissions here in TN due to "cat not ready" and "evap not ready". Drove around with my own OBD II tester and found that the "o2 not ready" came on and the "evap ready" fixed itself. Seems intermittent with the evap system. The Ho2 showed as ready though.

On a cold startup the o2 sensor registers as ready. Then not once the car heats up.

Also, I've been throwing a P0420 code for some time. I cleared the code and headed to the inspection place. But since then I cannot get my catalytic converter to register as ready. Read all over here about the failed cat converters.

SO:
Any advice on the intermittent "evap not ready" code?

Since I am throwing an o2 not ready I/M do you think that is contributing to the "cat not ready" I/M?

Looking into getting a new catalytic converter next week. Just want to weigh my options in the meantime with a solid forum like this one!

Jeff

05 Murano SL
FWD
123,000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-06-2012, 05:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Move to WV, we don't have emissions testing.

2012 SL AWD Tinted Bronze
#3 Old 07-06-2012, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Jeff - check prices on aftermarket converters...the dealer ones will be spendy.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
#4 Old 07-06-2012, 06:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well I managed to finally pass inspection today. After much reading through the forums I looked up the attached chart on the "Driving Cycle". This was a huge help because all I was doing was getting on the interstate and going fast to heat up the exhaust system. Apparently all I needed to do was drive for 10 minutes and keep it under 60mph. I was doing 70-80 on the interstate (that's the minimum in memphis :-) )

Went to the inspection station that was further away (the first one was 2 miles and maybe 4 minutes to get to) and passed!!!

The quotes I got varied a lot. Called 3 dealers and got quotes from 1,040 to 1,500. Even called some local shops and the part alone from them was 900! Autozone sells the generic oe replacement for 400 or so.

Anyway, happy to get "the man" off my back for another year. I am going to have to get the o2 / cat converter issue worked out in the long run. Don't want it to deteriorate and blow back into the engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DrivingC.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	17435  

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: