LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#31 Old 11-19-2012, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHorse View Post
Does anybody know whether there is a gasket, crush washer or some type of sealant (teflon tape?) between the oil pressure sending sensor and the surface of upper oil pan?
BH-

According to the 2005 Service Manual the sensor uses RTV as the gasket and is torqued to 11 ft-lbs.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 12-01-2012, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Still puzzeled

I cleaned up the whole area and after 400 miles checked again today. Can visually confirm no oil leak from oil cooler mating surface, nor oil pressure sensor mating with the upper oil pan, nor from lower oil pan gasket.

What surprised me is there appears to be some small amount of oil on the oil pressure sensor wires. If you refer to 1st photo in post #19, you can see it was soaked with oil back then. The oil did not come from the outer end of the sensor, but instead appears to be coming from the other end of the wire going above.

There is a bracket holding this wire in place - refer to first photo of post #22, you can see the bolt holding down the bracket and wire. The oil I observed today is from the bolt going up to at least 6 inches. No oil seen below this bolt, and no traces of oil seen on any of the aluminum surface in the area (including surfaces 1 feet above the bolt as far as I can visually see).

I know I have some tiny seepage in the bank 1 valve cover, but that was small and the location was facing the driver side, as opposed to facing the passenger side. The oil pressing sensor wire is ~1 to 1.5 ft jump to the passenger side (right side) from where the engine valve cover seepage is.

I can't see any oil leak from above the valve cover facing the passenger side.

What does the oil pressure sensor wire go on the upper side? Given all aluminium surface is so clean, could it be oil leaking from this upper end of the wire and traveling inside the shield cover of the wire until I can see it at the bottom?

If the PCV valve is blocked, will oil leaking out fit my pattern here?

Thanks!
#33 Old 04-15-2013, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey,

I have the same problem you have. My 2006 MO consume engine oil these days more than before. It reads 227k and I used to use CASTROL synthetic oil on it, and change every 10k. But now since it consumes about 2.5 litters between oil changes I switched to regular oil. (As I know synthetic oil evaporates more often in engines that have high mileage, so switching to thicker oil will reduces oil loss.)

Anyway, I see some oil leak -could be seepage- in area #A under both green sinceros.

How could I stop that from leaking?
#34 Old 04-15-2013, 09:17 AM

A picture of it

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2443.JPG
Views:	404
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	18257  
#35 Old 04-15-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozo1 View Post
A picture of it

Mozo1,

The oil you saw near the green connector may not be oil leaked else where travelling there. And your 2.5 liters loss of oil may not be here either. I cleaned up in my car this area a few K miles back and have not seen any oil coming back there.

As my post #32 pointed out, most of my oil, if not all, seems to be leaking somewhere above the pressure sensor connector wire, and travels down that wire. I seem to lose more oil per driven mile during long trips (150 miles plus a trip) vs. local short commute. That tells me MAYBE the leak is due to blocked valve can't handle oil flow after engine is fully warmed up. Still don't know where exactly. I am thinking to wait till the car hits 120K miles (currently at 100K miles) and due for spark plug replacement, then will take a closer look then.
#36 Old 04-15-2013, 04:17 PM

^
Good luck then, keep us updated.
#37 Old 04-15-2013, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Keep in mind that any oil leak which is of consequence usually coats the lower parts of the engine in oil. A leak that shows for an inch or two around a connector or joint isn't a leak of real consequence. If you're leaking enough oil to notice it on the dipstick, you will have a MESS on the underside of the car, and oil dripping onto the ground when you park.

Granted, oil leaks are unsightly and undesirable, but they're not generally responsible for oil consumption...that's due to the engine burning it.

I like the idea of checking it out when you do the plugs - you'll have a better view of things then. If you are indeed leaking more on longer trips, it may be because the oil is getting hotter and therefore wicking through openings better than in local trips when it doesn't get at hot. It's also worth checking the PCV valve (I don't know where it is on this engine) as that's responsible for venting crankcase pressure, and increased pressure could certainly result in more leakage.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
#38 Old 05-09-2013, 11:25 AM

Now look what I found under gearbox

Although I don't see any oil drip beneath the car.

Do you guys think it's the reason behind MO engine oil leak?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20130509_171134 - ????.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	18585  
#39 Old 10-07-2013, 12:35 AM

Update -

It has been a while since my last update.

2004 Murano SE now has 102,000 miles. 5,000 miles after my last clean up, today I took off the engine cover, and saw right behind the oil cap, slightly lower, there is a L shaped connector with a hose running to back. This is I guess where the front engine valve cover is?

There has been oil leaking here - see the white arrow in the photo attached. I could not tell whether the leak is from where the hose connects the L connector, or between the front engine valve cover and the L connector.

I am still losing about 1 Qt oil every 3,000 miles. This leak does not seem to be bad enough to lose the whole 1 Qt. But I'd like to fix it and see.

Anybody know what this L connector is? And is it threaded to the front engine valve cover, or simply pushed in? How about on the hose side?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo (1).jpg
Views:	155
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	20282  
#40 Old 10-07-2013, 12:43 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
I have a hard time seeing any oil around that connector, but photos can be tricky. Definitely not a quart in 3000 miles leak. You're probably burning some oil, but a quart in 3000 miles isn't a significant problem. That engine will probably go for years without any problem from oil consumption.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
#41 Old 10-10-2013, 03:27 AM

BlueHorse

Welcome back. I have been waiting for your update since then to brief us on your murano leaking condition.

I saw your last post and started looking up for that L connector, and here what I found:

So it's just for air related to PCV.

Possible leaking points according to the MO maintenance manual:

You may want to check up these areas mentioned above.

Good luck
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	oil leak.png
Views:	283
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	20426   Click image for larger version

Name:	L connector.png
Views:	307
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	20434  
#42 Old 10-19-2013, 03:48 AM

hmmm, many fingers point to PCV valve and PCV hoses. It should be checked and cleaned. And replaced if needed.

I remember in my 2006 MO maintenance manual in the 80k or 60k inspection the PCV valve should replaced. I'm sure most of our muranos are over 80k by now and some of us didn't change this valve.

Soon I'll clean the hoses and replace this valve and update you guys.

MoZo
#43 Old 10-25-2013, 12:58 AM

Mozo and all,

Is this PCV valve screwed or just pushed in to the engine If you have DIY to replace it, pls share.

By the way, earlier today I found another leak, possibly a different type of fluid (unsure yet what it is). I just posted a new thread at the following link and guys take a look when you have time!
What kind of fluid goes in here?

Thanks!

Quote:
hmmm, many fingers point to PCV valve and PCV hoses. It should be checked and cleaned. And replaced if needed.

I remember in my 2006 MO maintenance manual in the 80k or 60k inspection the PCV valve should replaced. I'm sure most of our muranos are over 80k by now and some of us didn't change this valve.

Soon I'll clean the hoses and replace this valve and update you guys.

MoZo
#44 Old 11-19-2013, 12:18 AM

You need to pop the intake off and the valve is screw in , so a deep socket.
I highly doubt its that, unless the hose is ripped, which you would hear as well.

Some engines naturally consume more oil than others, like honda civic v-tec can eat 1l between the changes and never burns any at idle to notice.

As far as your leak, could be just the oil pan at the front, upper and/or lower one. Force just drifts oil to the wire while you driving. Check the upper pan all around. If you want a for sure answer either pay a shop too, or buy oil dye and a lamp to see exact source.
#45 Old 11-19-2013, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Now look what I found under gearbox

Although I don't see any oil drip beneath the car.

Do you guys think it's the reason behind MO engine oil leak?
Ahh, hate to tell yah but that looks like a leak or serious seepage from the transfer case or the cvt seal between the two. You will need to look deeper int this if you want to avoid some future damage. Not sure if you can add dye to cvt fluid to confirm the source.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: