Slight Transfer Case Leak (D-Day) - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 11-05-2012, 08:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Slight Transfer Case Leak (D-Day)

Well it appears I have a decision to make. About two months ago I went in for servicing and the mechanics at Nissan told me I had a transfer case leak. I wasn't shocked at the notion given the "popularity" of this issue with the mo. Long story short, I sat on it for a few weeks, did some research and got the seals changed as they had recommended.

One week later on a whim, I decided to give a quick look underneath. Low and behold its still leaking. Took it back in, and they said they'll reseal again and replace another seal that they may have overlooked last time. First of all, ...? If a seal has the slightest chance of causing the leak, why not try replacing it the first time? (I can't remember the exact name of the new seal, but parts #'s are listed below.) To my demise, after the second round of replacing, it's still leaking. Not quite as much this time, but leaking nonetheless. I've attached some pics and a video for a first hand look to demonstrate where it's coming from, and how much. The leak itself doesn't feel particularily wet, but greasy/oily. Nothing is hitting the ground at a stand still.

Based on my research I feel like there are equally if not more knowledgeable folks on this site than in the shop. So thanks for any and all help with this one. And if there has been a specific case like this (ie leak from the same location) please do not hesitate to boot me to that particular post. But what am I to do? Right now, I love the vehicle and do not want to give it up, but if it's a ticking time bomb I feel like the only option is to trade it in. Let me know your thoughs...

Pics
Murano TC Leak pictures by geddesd21 - Photobucket

Vid
2005 Nissan Murano Transfer Case Leak - YouTube

Seals replaced in first going:

33142-4N200 SEAL
33111-AD30A SEAL
40262-2Y000 NUT
38342-06R01 SEAL

Seals replaced on second try:

33142-4N200 SEAL
33111-AD30A SEAL
40262-2Y000 NUT
38342-06R01 SEAL
40073-0L700 PIN (2)

I've tried to give as much info on my case as possible. Hopefully others can make use of it in the future. Thanks again, much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-06-2012, 01:46 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Is this an '09 MO? You should still be under the 5 year / 60K powertrain warranty. Just keep taking it back till they get it right. Its easy to bend the last seal which is the right axle seal. The other 2 seal I am not sure. But if you have a quart of CVT fluid on the invoice then its probably the seal that sits between the TC and CVT. Now, my understanding about this seal is that there is a very small area to sit the seal and can easily be displaced when mating the TC and CVT back together causing the eventual leak again. So just let them keep doing it till they get it right. It should be free.

My 04 had the same TC/'CVT seal leak and was fix under warranty. No leak since--just one shot.
#3 Old 11-06-2012, 01:13 PM

My apologies, it's an 05 which I could have specified a bit more clearly.

That may just be a huge help. I think that was the seal that they said was the cause the 2nd time around...the right axle seal. I guess I shouldn't be freaking out just yet, if these seals are so tempermental. But still, my greatest fear is to try for the 3rd time and have them tell me they need to replace it. Bascially like them telling me " Hey, how's that bank account doing? Yeah...we're gonna need you to go ahead and empty that for us."

Thing is though, is they keep telling me the TC is in fine working order. So just seal the thing already, people!

I'll provide an update when I take it in next week. Really hoping that whole "3rd time's a charm" rule works in my favor.

Thanks for the insight, nitely.
#4 Old 11-21-2012, 11:33 PM

Update

Thought I'd post an update, although the process for this appears to be ongoing.

The dealership has been good, as each of the two times I've have had to bring it back they tossed in an oil change, then an alignment. Hopefully they aren't just easing the blow if I'm truly screwed .

Anyways, they took another look at the (slight) leak, wiped it down, and drove it around the city I live and said it didn't seem to reappear when they put it back on the lift afterward. They were fairly certain that this particular leak I saw for a third time is just the grease they use to fasten the seals (they were a bit more specific, as i'm paraphrasing a bit on that one).

I'll be taking it back in two weeks as per their request to see if it's ongoing.

Fingers crossed!
#5 Old 11-21-2012, 11:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
They should be paying for any re-visits to get the seal correct. It shouldn't be costing you any more than the original bill.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: