Check Engine Light-P0021 HELP! - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 12 Old 11-07-2012, 02:02 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Check Engine Light-P0021 HELP!

So my 2004 Murano w/ 127,xxx miles. Car seems to run fine, although seems to be slightly hesitant upon starting...could just be me though.

Recently got a P0021 (IVT solenoid bank1) code. Incidentally, this came right after I replaced the camshaft position sensor on the same bank (1). I've seen this happen with other posts. Here's my questions.
Has anyone had this problem and actually figured out what the deal is??

Manual says it can be caused by a number of things:
-crankshaft position sensor
-camshaft position sensor
-intake valve control solenoid valve
-accumulation of debris to the signal pick-up portion of the camshaft
-timing chain installation
-Foreign matter caught in the oil groove for intake valve timing control

So far i checked and changed the oil (seems to have fixed it for some), removed and cleaned the ivt solenoid, checked the solenoid with voltmeter as per manual, and even after deciding the ivt was fine I replaced it anyway. All to no avail.

Anyone out there have the same problem??

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-07-2012, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Maybe your new sensor is faulty? I'd take it back and get it replaced.

After 142K miles, my MO is history. Now sporting a loaded silver 2012 Ford Edge Limited with 20" wheels.
post #3 of 12 Old 11-08-2012, 03:26 AM Thread Starter

Could be... It was not oem. Got it at O'reillys.
post #4 of 12 Old 11-08-2012, 03:41 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I like saving money using aftermarket parts all the time. But when it comes to electrical sensors I tend to get oem to avoid any issues.
post #5 of 12 Old 11-11-2012, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Yeah,I`m starting to think that this sensor is the problem. Should have just made the drive to the closest dealership.
post #6 of 12 Old 11-12-2012, 12:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Well...I usually go aftermarket everything. Haven't had any issues with aftermarket sensors in the past.

After 142K miles, my MO is history. Now sporting a loaded silver 2012 Ford Edge Limited with 20" wheels.
post #7 of 12 Old 11-13-2012, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

Thats the thing, I have no reason to believe the new camshaft position sensor is even related, other than the fact that the P0021 code came soon after replacement. The P0021 code indicates the vtc solenoid is over advanced or just not functioning. I do know the solenoid is fine. So I was really hoping somebody had this issue and could shed some light. Im very skeptical at taking it into the dealership unless I absolutely have to, since the diagnosis could take many many hours for all I know. Wish I had access to a Consult-II!!
post #8 of 12 Old 11-13-2012, 09:53 PM
KtG

the camshaft sensor is used by the ECm to determine VCT angle. So it is very much a factor in a P0021. It also happens to be the cheapest fix if you've ruled out low/old oil (the most common cause of this DTC) . Remaining causes are solenoid/oil system failure or a bad timing chain.

I will say that anytime my parts monkey has given me an Oreily sensor, it hasnt worked. But the fact that the nissan dealership I work at has problems stocking OE parts is this whole other topic.
post #9 of 12 Old 11-13-2012, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

Very interesting KtG. Thanks for the input. I just had the oil done at speedee, so thats fresh. I have heard some about people cleaning a oil screen, in the pan maybe? Any thoughts on that?
post #10 of 12 Old 12-01-2012, 02:12 AM Thread Starter

Thought I would post an update for anyone with similar problems. I had suspicions that the problem may lie in the O-Reily brand camshaft sensor I installed. Reason being is my P0021 code came the day after replacing the camshaft sensor due to a P0345. So this morning I re-installed the faulty camshaft sensor to see if the P0021 would disappear and the P0345 would return. That`s exactly what happened. So I ordered an oem camshaft sensor. We`ll see what happens.
post #11 of 12 Old 12-04-2012, 02:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth83 View Post
Thought I would post an update for anyone with similar problems. I had suspicions that the problem may lie in the O-Reily brand camshaft sensor I installed. Reason being is my P0021 code came the day after replacing the camshaft sensor due to a P0345. So this morning I re-installed the faulty camshaft sensor to see if the P0021 would disappear and the P0345 would return. That`s exactly what happened. So I ordered an oem camshaft sensor. We`ll see what happens.

interested in knowing how it goes.
post #12 of 12 Old 12-08-2012, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Problem resolved!

So I have fixed the P0021 issue. As suspected it was the aftermarket sensor. I replaced it with an OEM camshaft position sensor and it has been 3 days, all monitors have cleared and no check engine light.

I know others have had this problem with the MO and other nissans that use this motor. So for anyone searching for a resolution, its the camshaft position sensor. The sensor did seem to work for the most part, it just tripped the P0021 code. Thanks guys.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: