LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 11-20-2012, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Power steering groaning

Hello All,

2006 murano FWD

I just replaced my passenger side axel along with the high pressure line on the power steering system. Two seemingly unrelated maintenance items that needed service coincidentally at the same time. (CV boot split saw some grease... replaced it)(saw some leaking PS fluid, traced it, replaced it), Now my problem is that there is a loud groaning noise thats only loud inside the vehicle, and I hear it when I'm in the parking lot turning to extremes and moving slowly (parking etc..). There are no performance issues with exception to the groan. The steering seems fine.

Here are the things I have tried and items to note:

1 - the service manual says to "bleed the system", in doing so they say turn steering wheel lock to lock etc... I've done this on at least 8 occasions with no difference.. still groaning

2- I've determined the source of where the groaning is coming from with a mechanics stethoscope and the sound is coming from the rack and pinion area (if you will). Again: There is no performance issues whatsoever in steering with exception to the sound.

3- I NEVER ran the system without fluid just in case anyone is wondering. Used the required ATF fluid... everything by the book. No leaks in the Hose job... no decrease in the fluid levels...etc..

My suspicion is that there is air somewhere deep in the system that's trapped in there.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-20-2012, 10:40 AM

Mine was leaking and started groaning, and I just added fluid to the right level and it stopped groaning. It was weird, there was fluid in the resevoir, so I thought adding fluid was futile, but did it anyways. As soon as I got it up to the "Min" line, the groaning went away. weird. Watching this thread with interest, thanks.
#3 Old 11-20-2012, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Nickofnumenor,

Is it possible that the sound was already there before you did all the repairs? How low was the ATF reservoir and for how long was it like that before you replaced the hose?

Did you use nissan ATF? If not, maybe try draining the old one and filling with nissan ATF. When you bleed the air out, did you lift the front end and then turn L to R lock to lock with the engine running for several minutes until the bubbles disappear in the reservoir. BTW, did you use nissan hose? Good luck.
#4 Old 11-21-2012, 10:38 AM

Yes to all I used Factory ATF I used the factory hose anytime I noticed it dripping power steering fluid I topped it off and it wasn't a fast leak so the level never got down to a crucial level.

I did jack the car up in the front and turn lock to lock. I tried every variation of the prior and nothing worked . And as I said the sound started after the repairs. If anybody knows a special method of insuring there is no air in the system please share thanks.
#5 Old 11-21-2012, 10:44 AM

Yes to all I used Factory ATF I used the factory hose anytime I noticed it dripping power steering fluid I topped it off and it wasn't a fast leak so the level never got down to a crucial level.

I did jack the car up in the front and turn lock to lock. I tried every variation of the prior and nothing worked . And as I said the sound started after the repairs. If anybody knows a special method of insuring there is no air in the system please share thanks.
#6 Old 12-30-2012, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I did the same repairs, and I too am experiencing the creaking/groaning sound when turning. I used a Nissan hose, however, I used Valvoline High Mileage ATF with some Lucas Power Steering stuff. The groaning only started just recently too.

Silver 2005 SL
- K & N Air Filter
- KYB Shocks
- Aluminum fuel tank shields
- DDM 3000k HID fog light kit
- Lamin-X yellow fog light covers
- LED upgrades
-intake bellow delete
#7 Old 01-03-2013, 07:13 PM

Just had the high pressure power steering hose replaced last week on our 2005 Mo SL AWD. Nissan hose and fluid were used and the noise did was not there prior to the work. There were no leaks and the reservoir is full.

Took car back today to have repair shop take a look. Said that sound was coming from the rack and pinion not the steering pump. Said that it was due to air trapped in the system. Also said that there is no way to bleed off the air. Will have to live with the groaning. On the plus side they said that everything looked fine and should have no issues other than the new noise.

Repair shop said they could replace the rack and pinion system to get rid of the noise but that would be over $1000. I can live with the noise as it is only present when at very low speeds and full lock to lock type motion.

Just wanted to ask, just to make sure, is there really no way to bleed the air out of the steering system?
#8 Old 01-03-2013, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregpedersen View Post
Said that it was due to air trapped in the system. Also said that there is no way to bleed off the air.

The following is from the Nissan service manual. It explains how to bleed entrapped air from the PS system.

Was this a dealer or independent garage? Either way, I suggest you post their name/location so other members in your area can avoid them.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
#9 Old 01-03-2013, 09:13 PM

Update:

Tried everything... At my wits end. Talked to multiple auto mechanics... they all recommended the same things I've been trying.

The sound comes from the rack and pinion area FOR SURE. This is what I've said from the beginning.

The "bleeding method" in the service manual is CRAP. It's only for when you first put the ATF fluid in and you're refilling it. So yes I've gone through this motion time after time and problem still persists

Re: Rack and Pinion... I am convinced that Nissan did not just make a system where air could not be bled. There is a way, somebody knows... just need the right person to read this thread. There's got to be a hose or nut that could be loosened to let out the bubbles or trapped air.

PLEASE ALL... THIS THREAD IS NOT YET COMPLETE. NO RESOLUTION HAS BEEN FOUND. WE STILL HAVE A PROBLEM.

Thanks in advance to anyone that will help.

Best Regards,

Nick
#10 Old 01-04-2013, 02:12 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I would check your work again just to make sure there are no signs of leak from the hard tubing part going into the rack the other end by the PS pump connection. With the front end on jack stand and engine running, turn steering wheel slowly left to right locking 3 sec each end. With PS reservoir open, check for bubbles/frothing.

Could there be some kind of contamination? What I would do is drain as much PS fluid and replace with a fresh new OEM one. Disconnect from the high and low pressure line and then fill it back up and perform the air bleeding procedure posted above. If noise is till there, I guess you just have to live with it. I replaced my PS pressure line without a hitch. I don't know exactly how you did yours.
#11 Old 01-04-2013, 08:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I ordered a power steering in-line filter ( only $1.25.) I have not yet looked at the manual on how to go about replacing it. Perhaps it could be clogged from when it was leaking? I'm about to change the belts on it, so while its up, I will preform the air-bleeding procedure again. I will keep you posted on my findings Nickofnumenor.

Silver 2005 SL
- K & N Air Filter
- KYB Shocks
- Aluminum fuel tank shields
- DDM 3000k HID fog light kit
- Lamin-X yellow fog light covers
- LED upgrades
-intake bellow delete
#12 Old 01-07-2013, 11:41 AM

Still Searching

Yes.. I will try the OEM fluid switch out. What is the best way to COMPLETELY drain the system? As to not cross contamintate?

My thought process is to remove the lower-most fitting in the system and let it drain out. OR Is there a way to pump it out? Like a realtime switch out?? I'm thinking vacume out trough the outtake while pouring into the intake (if you will). Not sure if this is possible.

not sure if this makes sense..

Nick
#13 Old 01-07-2013, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
I haven't seen the entire manual procedure, but in some cars the front end needs to be off the ground with no load while the wheel turning is done. You might check that detail....

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
#14 Old 01-21-2013, 08:58 PM

Steering noise from passenger side

I have a 2005 SE AWD. I hear Da Da Da noise from the passenger side, seemingly from inside the front passenger door when the steering wheel is turned to the extreme (especially towards the far left). Currently It only happens when the engine is cold and the car starts from parking. There is no oil leaking from the steering system and the steering performance feels OK.

I just had the CVT and the transfer case seals replaced. I wonder if my car's problem belongs to what you have discussed.
#15 Old 02-12-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipmz View Post
I have a 2005 SE AWD. I hear Da Da Da noise from the passenger side, seemingly from inside the front passenger door when the steering wheel is turned to the extreme (especially towards the far left). Currently It only happens when the engine is cold and the car starts from parking. There is no oil leaking from the steering system and the steering performance feels OK.

I just had the CVT and the transfer case seals replaced. I wonder if my car's problem belongs to what you have discussed.
are you low on power steering fluid? Is it only when the car is moving? Could be CV joint. Is it only when you turn one direction?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: