04 Alternator Recall Help!!!!! - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 11-29-2012, 07:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
04 Alternator Recall Help!!!!!

I have an 04, bought with approx 84k, now has 144k. Last Friday my wife was driving (4 lane @60 mph) with my 8 mo old son, and the alternator caught fire and caused the vehicle to shut down. Melted the alternator connector and surrounding wiring. I bought a new alternator but could not locate a plug to swap the melted one. I searched here and found the information about the recall. Called Nissan, and of course they state not their problem. Recall was performed on my SUV (ALT # 23100-CN100R on vehicle), but the "fixed" alternator still caught on fire. I have pics of the damage, info on the recall, and numbers for everything. Has anyone else experienced this after the recall? I'm thinking about hiring a lawyer after talking to the arbitration guy at Nissan today. I just need to know if anyone else has the same experience.

BTW, in my experience when an alternators goes south, they typically don't catch on fire. So yes, I realize these are wear parts that go bad, just not in this fashion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-30-2012, 04:16 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Probably the regulator inside shorted and caught on fire. It happens. I think you will just waste time and money chasing nissan for a new alternator and related parts. Since the recall was performed and the new alternator worked beyond its warranty period doubt if there is anything else you can ask from nissan. Just fix it and move on. I don't really recall reading a post like yours but someone had his engine bay catch fire - might have been fuel related. If the damage was limited to the alternator and connectors...it ain't too bad. I had a bad alternator regulator on my previous car and burnt my turn signal switch/stem.

You may need to replace the missing harness/connector. Try here.......2004 Nissan Murano Wiring - Diagram 6 24061 Maybe a wrecking/salvage yard would be more economical. Assess the entire damage and what is actually missing and look for it. Good luck.
#3 Old 11-30-2012, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Contrary to the title of your thread this is not a recall issue, so I have moved this thread out of the RECALL section.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
#4 Old 11-30-2012, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
After they've done the alternator recall, the rest is up to the normal warranty (if any), and after that, it's all yours. Since the warranty has expired, this is yours to fix. That's the situation.

DO NOT waste your time and money going after a lawyer or chasing Nissan. You will spend much, much more than you will be getting a rebuilt alternator at NAPA and having an independent shop mount it for you and repair the wiring.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
#5 Old 11-30-2012, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
I agree with others. Chasing after Nissan will probably be a waste of time. Get a plug from a junkyard and repair it. Or, if you have comprehensive coverage on your car it should pay for it. Don't know what your deductible is but if it is around a couple of hundred then your out of pocket may stay same while you end up with new parts, including a wire harness.

2004 SL AWD - Super Black - Leather Package (Café latte) - Tow Package - Floor Mats - Splash Guards - Cargo Area Protector - Rear Bumper Protector - Front Window Tint - Dawn Color Matched Body Side Molding – Day Time Running Lights - PAC-NIS1 Aux Audio input - Pressure Pro TPMS and Anti Theft Sensor Locks - 7" Xenarc VGA Touchscreen - Compaq EVO e-PC 2.0 GHz Pentium 4 Carputer with 120GB HD, DSATX PSU / Shutdown Controller, Road Runner Front End, iGuidance 3.0 Navigation, DVD player, Internet access, XM satellite radio, Deluo GPS receiver, Linksys WiFi Antenna, TERK XM antenna - Tweeter 22uF CAP mod - Magnetbra - Custom Backup Camera - Aries Polished Stainless Steel Sidestep (nerf) Bars - Euro-Tech Nudge Bar - Homemade Lower Grill Cover - Auxiliary Projection Fog Lamps - Aluminum Fuel Tank Shields - Wade Window Deflectors - Nissan Sunroof Deflector - Scosche UBRH Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: