Nissan Murano Forum banner

2012 murano no start

6K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Halwg 
#1 ·
I purchased my Murano last november and during the winter i experienced starting problems almost right away. It again rears its ugly head. Only when it is cold out i cannot use the remote starter. It tries to start a couple of times and stops. If i get into the car and try to start it all the lights and guages go wild but will not start. I took it to the dealer three times in a month and they have no idea what it is. So they tell me to put my foot on the brake and hold the gas pedal half way down and try it. It then starts. They say they dont have a problem with the muranos but when i questioned the fact that they new to tell me how to start it suggests otherwise. Anybody out there having the same issue. Thanks from the great white north.

#3 ·
Question... If you go out to your 2012 Murano on a cold day and try to start the Murano (not with the remote start fob) just as you do in the Summer does the Murano start without any issue? Again, starting without bringing the remote start into the starting procedure..

My guess is you will reply with yes, it starts just fine if I do not try to use the remote start fob to start the Murano. If this is your answer, your issue is with the remote start. It is installed incorrectly. You need to find out who did the remote start install and have them install correctly. IF your Nissan dealer had the remote start installed it is up to the dealer to contact the installer and get him to make it right.

Note: Dealership techs do not usually install the remote start. Dealership has an outside installer come to the dealership and to the install. Dealership techs are usually clueless in regard to troubleshooting remote start issues.. again, you need to get the remote start installer to correct the issue.

#4 ·
Nice try, guys, but if it was that easy i wouldnt be asking. THE REMOTE START WAS PUT IN BY NISSAN. tHEY TOOK IT OUT OF THE EQUATION FOR 30 DAYS AND THE PROBLEM STILL EXISTS, JUST NOT IN THEIR MINDS. bECAUSE IT DOESNT HAPPEN WHEN ITS AT THE DEALERSHIP, THEY HAVE NO ANSWERS.

#6 ·
You did not answer the question I asked.. Question... If you go out to your 2012 Murano on a cold day and try to start the Murano (not with the remote start fob) just as you do in the Summer does the Murano start without any issue? Again, starting without bringing the remote start into the starting procedure..

Another question... WHO did the install of the remote start? You saying a Nissan tech... I highly doubt this. Was installed at the dealership by a contractor.

For the record it is common to have issues like you are having after an iffy, improper, poor, remote starter install. It is not common for a new Murano without alterations, modifications, add ons to be exhibiting issues like you mention. I might also add that a remote start can start a Murano just fine in the Summer and yet the remote start is problematic in the cold weather. In the cold whether when you go to do the first remote start in the morning, does the remote start, start the Murano but after say 5 minutes or so the Murano shuts down? It will right a way try to restart, only to do the same thing (stops running) again.. The remote start after the car is warmer up will seem to work fine. UNTIL the next time you try to start when engine is cold. This is one symptom of a problematic install that can be fixed rather easily by the addition of what I believe they call a tach wire. Right now it probably is set up with virtual tach.... no wire, thus your issue. It's just an install issue. Had this issue on a new Nissan Juke. Took a savvy installer a few minutes to fix.

p.s. It does not happen at the dealership as the vehicle is warm. They would only see the issue occur if car sat outside in the cold for hours / all night and then they went to use the remote start. Again, once car is somewhat warm you will not have an issue with the remote start starting the car, the car running for a few minutes then turning off.

#5 ·
You're missing the excellent point that HALWG made. When a car's electrical system is modified - no matter who did it - that's the FIRST place to look for problems.

I'm sure you won't claim that no dealership ever made a mistake installing a remote starter...but I'm also sure you will understand that they are probably reluctant to admit any chance that they might be responsible.

I don't care who put in the remote starter - if it doesn't work or causes problems, it's their fault. If problems appear immediately after they install it, it's 99% likely to be their fault.

I'd start by having them remove it completely and return the wiring harness to stock. Bet your problem disappears.

#7 ·
I think there have been numerous problems reported on this forum about remote starters. I'd look at that and at something as simple as the battery.

And you don't have to SHOUT! Just because you are angry don't take it out on us. We are trying to help with some suggestions.

#8 ·
Another point to note is that even when work is done perfectly, it is possible for a part - especially an electronic part - to be defective or to fail shortly after installation. It's possible that this has occurred. A part failure can be intermittent and temperature-related, as BillArf suggests. I've had some incredibly weird temperature-related problems occur with cars - some of them even occurring when the day got over 70 degrees but not occurring when it was under 70. Very strange.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.