2005 Murano Oil Leaking under CVT Area - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 12-09-2012, 04:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2005 Murano Oil Leaking under CVT Area

My 2005 AWD SE Murano has 74000 miles. As shown in the 1st two photos, oil sweated the area right around the CVT drain plug and the joint interface next to the drain plug. The oil doesn't look like the pink CVT fluid and is not dripping to the floor. The transfer case area is absolutely clean as shown in the 3rd photo. Could someone help me decide if this is the leak from CVT, the transfer case seal or any other? I know the CVT is covered under the 10 year/120k warranty. so it's critical to understand the source of issue. Thx!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide1.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	17725   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide2.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	17726   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide3.JPG
Views:	533
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	17727  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-09-2012, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Firstly CVT fluid has a tint of green in color not pink. That is almost surely CVT fluid. Take a pix of your left axle connecting to the CVT. If the seal there is leaking it could be the source. If not, another possibility is the seal joining the CVT and TC. Nissan will usually do a dye test on the CVT to confirm if its really the CVT leaking. Check your CVT fluid immedietely. Do a search. Lots of pixs and discussions about CVTs. Good luck.
#3 Old 12-15-2012, 04:54 PM

What was the verdict

I brought the Murano to the dealer per NissanAssit agent suggestion. The tech inspected the oil leak and determined the leak is from the transfer case. The assistant service manager told me the service charge was $1800. I could not believe the diagnosis and the service manger offered me to inspect the leak with a senior tech. I pointed out that the leak is apparently under the CVT oil pan and the the transfer case area is clean. The assistant service manager had good attitude and agreed to call Nissan asking for service under CVT warranty.
However, the general manager of the dealer indicated that Nissan would only accept the coverage with a through diagnosis and I needed to authorize the dealer to conduct a $200 diagnosis involving dye leak detection and taking some parts apart. After the through diagnosis, the dealer told me that the oil leak is 70% from the CVT and 30% from the transfer case. I will get a new CVT under the warranty, but need to pay ~$700, labor and parts for replacing the seals of the transfer case.
I am disappointed about the CVT performance, but happy that my observation was right and Nissan will take care of the CVT. I could be fooled if simply accepted the initial inspection and paid the $1800 for the transfer case service.
#4 Old 12-15-2012, 07:24 PM

I am having the same issue now, but I am not paying anything (so far) New CVT is in, but still getting a P0744 code. Murano has been at the dealer for 15 days now.

You may want to call Nissan USA consumer assistance...I don't think you should be paying anything.
#5 Old 12-15-2012, 10:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Good for you for getting a good diagnosis. At $700 you are coming out pretty darn good, because pulling and resealing the transfer case is a $1600 job.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
#6 Old 12-16-2012, 04:07 PM

BurgandyBlues,

Did your Murano also have oil leak from the Transfer case?
#7 Old 12-17-2012, 03:22 PM

No leak that I saw, but was getting P0744 code, with SES on. They first replaced the transfer case, did not fix it, then replaced the whole CVT.

Where you getting the SES light on?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: