Nissan Murano Forum

Nissan Murano Forum (http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/)
-   Problems (http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/66-problems/)
-   -   Service Engine Soon light... (http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/66-problems/1998-service-engine-soon-light.html)

Cryogenix 05-02-2004 11:58 PM

Eric L. 05-03-2004 12:02 AM

No it is not a service reminder. The SES light usually indicates a fault with the emissions control system, and it could be anything from a loose gas cap to a bad engine sensor.

Take it into the dealer for diagnosis, even if you don't feel the car drives differently.

Kris 05-03-2004 09:01 AM

I second Eric suggestion. When my SES light came on it was problem with TCU (Transmission Controrl Unit), which had to be replaced.

Go the the dealer. They should be able to retrieve the fault code

dklanecky1 05-03-2004 09:06 PM

If you have an Auto Zone store close by, they'll read the code that is stored for free and tell you what it says. Miught save you an extra trip to the dealer if you can't get in for service right away.

They can also clear the codes to help you determine if the same error occurs again.

Nissans (and most new vehicles) are very sensitive to fuel related problems (cap not on tight, bad lload of gas, dirty gas, etc).

CopperKat 05-04-2004 11:55 PM

!

Quote:

Originally posted by Cryogenix
I don't want to go to a dealer again, due to my bad experience and resulting vehicle damage from last month's dealer visit... :(
Well, at least I'm not the only one! What kind of damage did you sustain?

CopperKat 05-05-2004 11:45 AM

That sucks! I really hope they'll own up to the damage. Let us know how it goes.

Tyler_Canada 05-05-2004 03:43 PM

I had a tech that didn’t bother to latch my airbox after an oil change and filter inspection. The result was 2 months of not completely filtered air, misfires and stalling when it was snowing out (this was in January) and $86 for me to have another dealer solve the problem. Needless to say I never went back to the first dealer.

CopperKat 05-05-2004 11:04 PM

Maybe there should be a thread about all the problems the service departments have caused.

midnitexpress 05-06-2004 12:30 AM

...and a thread about all the good dealer experiences

Tyler_Canada 05-06-2004 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by CopperKat
Maybe there should be a thread about all the problems the service departments have caused.
No, that would just make people paranoid. Ignorance is bliss.

Eric L. 05-15-2004 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Cryogenix
The SES light went off by itself after I filled her up with gas this morning. This is the first time I let the tank get so low that the warning light came on. I wonder if that caused the light to reset itself.
You probably didn't close the gap cap tight enough last time - this could cause the SES. When you refilled, you turned the cap until it clicked, so the computer turned off the SES light.

Tyler_Canada 05-16-2004 02:05 PM

It takes some number of trips to reset the light, and certain conditions have to be met for a trip to be counted (engine coolant reaching nominal temp, etc).

Murauder 05-19-2004 03:15 AM

SES problem

I just talked to the service person about the possible causes for the light to turn on, and he said that the most common reason is a loose gas cap. He said that at least once a day when you turn on the ignition, the sensors do a check of the systems (i.e. checking the pressure of the gas tank) and if it finds anything wrong, it will turn the SES light on. He said that the system will eventually reset itself and turn the light off after it receives 10 'good' system checks, so it coincides with the number of days you had to wait for it to reset itself. I'm taking it to the dealer to have it checked tomorrow just in case the loose gas cap isn't the problem, so I'll try to update everyone later.

Eric L. 05-19-2004 03:53 AM

To add to the what has been posted above:

The ECU does not use the same count for turning off the SES. The gas cap is a very minor problem, it could turn off in as few as 10 open loop / closed loop cycles. More serious problems like a bad O2 sensor or knock sensor will trip the SES light for much longer even if it was just a fluke electrical surge that caused it and not really a defective part - say maybe 50 open loop/closed loop cycles.

Boobaba 05-27-2004 04:56 PM

It just stalled............

Just when I was enjoying the warm weather, a clean MO, sitting at a stop light while someone in a car next to me was admiring this work of art, the light changes and (ever so gently) I press the gas and NOTHING. I press harder and just crawwlllled. I checked to see if I was in "D", yes I was. I checked to see if the car was on, yes. With about a dozen cars honking behind me, I had to stop "the crawl", put the car in "park"and tried to restart it. Well it restarted alright with only the same results, It just kept crawlling. By this time I edged my way into the middle of the intersection, the people in the cars behind me are now pissed. I sill had the green light so to keep from "blocking the box", I let my MO struggle to the other side where I pulled to the right on a grassy shoulder. I immediately turned the car off and waited about 2 minutes, thinking WTF. I turned it back on and noticed the SES light (wasn't there before). I'm half way to work so there's no turning to my dealer now. Any way I gassed it and she took-off, to my relief..............
The SES light still on I began to worry a little so I called the dealer for an appointment first thing in the morning. Being a grease monkey, I knew this was not just a loose gas cap. I just topped her off at a station before heading home last night. Could it be bad gas? A faulty 02 sensor? Who knows, with the MO still under warranty at 11K, I'll let them find, fix and let me know what happened.
I'll keep u guys informed of the dealers findings.

midnitexpress 05-27-2004 05:30 PM

That was you?!? 0 :-)