HELP!!! Just replaced passenger side axle and now there's a grinding noise!! D: - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 01-01-2013, 07:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HELP!!! Just replaced passenger side axle and now there's a grinding noise!! D:

So, the passenger side CV boot has been torn in my 2003 Nissan Murano for I have no clue how long. There is some nasty seepage and I just got a new power steering pump belt put on a few days ago. The belt started chirping and squeeling really badly, probably due to all the grease, so I figured we should replace the axle so there is no more grease spillage. My husband just braved putting it on (His first time ever, and it was only possible because of an excellent tutorial from this site! THANK YOU!!) Well, it's all put together and we took it for a spin. There's a grinding noise during low speeds and when turning that wasn't there before. What could this be?? And I'll note, the new axle was remanufactured from NAPA auto parts. I hope someone can help before I have to shell out even more cash that I don't have on this stupid car!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-01-2013, 07:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Can you identify any pattern in which the grinding noise appears...like acceleration / deceleration? Cold / hot? Startup only, or after you have driven for a while?

Also - it would help to check under the hood, and if it's only audible while moving, walk beside the car if the noise is audible outside the vehicle and see where it is coming from.

I'm having difficulty seeing how this could be related to the axle unless perhaps the brake assembly was taken off and a dust cover was installed incorrectly and might be touching the brake rotor.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
#3 Old 01-01-2013, 09:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
Can you identify any pattern in which the grinding noise appears...like acceleration / deceleration? Cold / hot? Startup only, or after you have driven for a while?

Also - it would help to check under the hood, and if it's only audible while moving, walk beside the car if the noise is audible outside the vehicle and see where it is coming from.

I'm having difficulty seeing how this could be related to the axle unless perhaps the brake assembly was taken off and a dust cover was installed incorrectly and might be touching the brake rotor.
Wheeeeeeeewwwww!!! It WAS the dust cover!! Thank you!!!!!
#4 Old 01-01-2013, 10:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Dang!

As they say in Texas, "Even a blind pig finds a truffle now and then". Glad to have suggested it.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
#5 Old 01-02-2013, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
First thing I thought of when I saw the thread title was dust shield. Glad it was something so simple. It's really easy to tweak one doing this kind of job.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: