Rear Fuel Damper - Disconnecting hose question - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 10 Old 01-02-2013, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rear Fuel Damper - Disconnecting hose question

I am trying to replace the rear fuel damper on our 2007 Murano and I ran into an issue in removing the hose from the fuel line.

How do you get the rear damper hose disconnected? Do I need a special tool?

I took a few photos of the front and back (below). I am not sure if I need to press the damper line in, spin it and try to press the green locking tabs in from the open part in the rear, etc. One of the threads stated to use pliers to disconnect but I want to be careful and only use the necessary force since it involves the fuel line.

Many thanks
Steve

Rear view
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-02-2013, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Are you referring to the hose that joins the two tubes? If so, I do not believe they can be split.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
post #3 of 10 Old 01-02-2013, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Steve-

I just reread your post. I think the following is what you are looking for.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
post #4 of 10 Old 01-02-2013, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

@NJJoe-

Thank you! I did not realize that part of the yellow piece in my photo (the first inch to the right of the clip that holds the damper hose) was a cap....I disconnected the hose from the cap (as you can see in the photo) but could not figure out the next step.

I assume it just lifts off toward me....

I won't get to this until Saturday...its too cold and dark to work on this at night after work. I am looking forward to this fixing this loud murano...the wife is not happy that it sounds like an old truck.

Thanks again!
Steve
post #5 of 10 Old 01-04-2013, 09:31 AM

just to make sure I understand this..........is the quick connector release a part of the plastic piece (sort of off white colored), or is it something you buy as a separate tool?
post #6 of 10 Old 01-07-2013, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Quick Connector release is a separate tool. I bought a cheap one Amazon but it was useless (
Powerbuilt 647052 5/16" Fuel and Transmission Line Disconnect Tool : Amazon.com : Automotive Powerbuilt 647052 5/16" Fuel and Transmission Line Disconnect Tool : Amazon.com : Automotive
)

I ended up just pushing or squeezing the tabs in and disconnecting. I'm sure if you buy that specific tool in the service manual, it will work.

I replaced both the front and rear damper. Our Murano has been loud for a few months and I figured it was easier just to do both and not bother with it again. The diesel sound is gone but she still is not as quiet as she was the first 3-4 years- I have a 2007 S with 72K miles. It is not exhaust, I already replaced some of the exhaust (flex pipe) recently..

The Front damper is simple...just two bolts. The only thing was the one I bought online did not have an o-ring. I had to run to Nissan and buy one for $1.58.

The rear damper is the one with the hose with the disconnect. That one did have an o-ring attached...very strange since both were the same brand "standard motors" from the same place. Same thing, just two bolts.

When you remove each damper, 4 or 5 oz of fuel will come out. I just put cardboard on my driveway under the car.

Entire job took an hour...the disconnect took the most fiddling around with the bad release tool. If I could have gotten the hose off quickly, probably 40 minutes.

Now onto my broken drivers seat...ordering part today.

Good luck!
post #7 of 10 Old 01-07-2013, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
How much did the 2 dampers cost you? Thinking close to $200 from my parts search online.

After 142K miles, my MO is history. Now sporting a loaded silver 2012 Ford Edge Limited with 20" wheels.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-07-2013, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
How much did the 2 dampers cost you? Thinking close to $200 from my parts search online.

Yup $194...
post #9 of 10 Old 01-07-2013, 06:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
So what exactly are the ramifications of running with bad fuel dampers? Mine are just now starting to make noise. Intermittent but still noticeable here and there. If they're designed to keep constant fuel pressure on the injector fuel line, then would you notice performance issues?

After 142K miles, my MO is history. Now sporting a loaded silver 2012 Ford Edge Limited with 20" wheels.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-08-2013, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

I don't know what the ramifications are...but we ran with them noisy for several months. My local garage could not figure out the issue a few months back and they did not want to replace any parts unless they were 100% positive (they are a good, honest independent).

We did not noticed performance issues but I really wasn't checking gas mileage, etc. I then remembered this forum and saw the post a few weeks ago and realized it was the dampers.

Next time, the first thing I will do is to check here.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: