Rear Licence Plate lights turn off but when tapped by finger it comes on - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 01-09-2013, 04:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rear Licence Plate lights turn off but when tapped by finger it comes on

They turn off every now and then..All I have to do is tap on the lights with my fingers and they turn ON. I don't want to open up the lift gate just to fix this intermittent problem. Anyone experienced this or suggest anything to resolve?

2003 SL AWD Sunlit Copper
Converted Halogens to OEM HID
Factory Audio Unit from '06 MO- Can now play MP3
Hoen Fogs
Hoen City Lights
Rear Bumper protector
T-Rex Grill
Side Mouldings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-09-2013, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by parry View Post
They turn off every now and then..All I have to do is tap on the lights with my fingers and they turn ON. I don't want to open up the lift gate just to fix this intermittent problem. Anyone experienced this or suggest anything to resolve?
I had the exact same problem on my 04 SE 5 or 6 years ago. I finally broke down (also not wanting to remove that inside panel), replaced both bulbs, and haven't had a problem with them since. I too found it weird that both bulbs failed about the same time, and that since they always came back on by just tapping on them, that they were actually bad. But just putting new bulbs in solved the problem.

As for removing that panel, the procedure is detailed in the FSM (and probably here someplace). Though it seems daunting at first and is cetainly a PITA just to change those 2, little blubs, it's really not that bad. The first time took me about 15 minutes, and after that (I've had to get at the latch inside that rear panel a couple times to lube it up good to free it up) only about 5 minutes once I knew what I was doing.
#3 Old 01-11-2013, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for sharing your experience. It is quite irritating. I might have to take that step of repclacing the bulbs too.

Now If I can get a Diagram or Step by Step from someone..that'd be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafddur View Post
I had the exact same problem on my 04 SE 5 or 6 years ago. I finally broke down (also not wanting to remove that inside panel), replaced both bulbs, and haven't had a problem with them since. I too found it weird that both bulbs failed about the same time, and that since they always came back on by just tapping on them, that they were actually bad. But just putting new bulbs in solved the problem.

As for removing that panel, the procedure is detailed in the FSM (and probably here someplace). Though it seems daunting at first and is cetainly a PITA just to change those 2, little blubs, it's really not that bad. The first time took me about 15 minutes, and after that (I've had to get at the latch inside that rear panel a couple times to lube it up good to free it up) only about 5 minutes once I knew what I was doing.

2003 SL AWD Sunlit Copper
Converted Halogens to OEM HID
Factory Audio Unit from '06 MO- Can now play MP3
Hoen Fogs
Hoen City Lights
Rear Bumper protector
T-Rex Grill
Side Mouldings
#4 Old 01-11-2013, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Not going to be a big deal. Either bad lamps, bad lamp socket, or loose wire. Close inspection should resolve it.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
#5 Old 01-11-2013, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
Not going to be a big deal. Either bad lamps, bad lamp socket, or loose wire. Close inspection should resolve it.
You're right, Pilgrim, it wasn't a big deal, especially after merely replacing both bulbs (for only a couple bucks each) solved the problem for good. It was annoying, however, to have the wife come home from work every night with neither license plate bulb working, and just having to tap on them to get them to turn on.

Before putting new bulbs in, I actually did just remove the bulbs and lubed (with dielectric grease) and adjusted the contact points, but that didn't work. Why they both failed at the same time, and why tapping on them always got them to turn back on, is still puzzling to me. I've never seen light bulbs work intermittently before.
#6 Old 01-12-2013, 06:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nafddur View Post
Before putting new bulbs in, I actually did just remove the bulbs and lubed (with dielectric grease) and adjusted the contact points, but that didn't work. Why they both failed at the same time, and why tapping on them always got them to turn back on, is still puzzling to me. I've never seen light bulbs work intermittently before.
The dielectric grease was an excellent idea. I've seen lamps go intermittent, but more commonly it's bad contact. Having both go out at the same time is indeed very unusual!

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: