04 murano wont go...at first it would not go over 20mph - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 01-20-2013, 06:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question 04 murano wont go...at first it would not go over 20mph

My murano made a noise that resembled a powersteering pump going out when i cranked it a cpl of days ago. We took it and had the fluids refreshed but when i tried to drive it to work the next morning it wouldnt go over 20mph even when flooref. Now it doesnt move, at times i can floor the acelletater and the rpms bearly move at other timed they raise to 40rpms but still never move....any suggestions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-21-2013, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
k-

Is the Check Engine (SES) light on? (It should be.) If so, read the codes and post them here.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
#3 Old 02-16-2013, 08:02 AM

How do I have the codes read? Do I have to have it towed to town to be put on a computer? I was warned not to have it pulled because its a belt driven motor. I live about 10 minutes from town, I'm trying to avoid a tow truck and a repair shop. I know not all will get over on you, but some will...I'm a working mom and really need my MO RUNNING.
#4 Old 02-16-2013, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
KH-

You need to get your hands on an OBD reader. (OBD = On Board Diagnostics)

There is an OBD plug under your dashboard. You plug in the reader, turn on the ignition, and the error codes are downloaded to the reader.

Your local auto parts store may have a loaner you can use.

Out of curiosity, what year is your MO and how many miles are on it?

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
#5 Old 02-17-2013, 09:55 PM

I will go by tomarrow and see if I can get one after work. It's an 04 with 165,000+. But it didn't give any indications of transmission trouble whatsoever. its been a really good vehicle.
#6 Old 03-02-2013, 09:06 PM

No codes were found. Took it to a mechanic and he said it was the filter and he serviced the transmission. I've had it back for 2 days and today when I put it in gear it didn't want to go at first but suddenly with the accelerated floored it took off but when I got it on the highway it would periodically slow down but speed back up
#7 Old 03-07-2013, 05:58 PM

It sounds like you're dealing with an internal transmission issue. I am going through some of the same hassles.

My car feels as though it's stuck in, what would be equivalent to 3rd gear in a conventional transmission. The engine will rev but it has a hard time propelling itself from a stand still on anything greater than a flat surface and won't go much past 40mph. For me, it is the step motor in the CVT transmission. It tells the pulleys in the transmission how much to move in order to propel the car. I was at least fortunate enough to have a code to reference.

If you haven't yet gone, your best bet is likely going to be getting a diagnostic from a Nissan dealer. If your local shops are anything like mine, they don't see these transmissions much and don't really know what they're working with.

Unfortunately, you won't get the free warranty replacement for your transmission as that ends at 120k miles. My '03 is sitting at 190k. I got quoted today for $3627.86 to have my local Nissan dealership replace the transmission with a refurbished unit which I will be paying as there is no other alternative since they do not sell parts for them or service them. Looking on the bright side, their trannys come with a 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty so I won't be dealing with this problem again (knock on wood).

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: