Nissan Murano Forum banner

Is my Murano a Lemon?

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Halwg 
#1 ·
I purchased a 2005 Murano SE AWD with 63k miles on it in July. The same week I took it back in for white smoke coming out of the back. Didnt smell burnt, kind of sweet. Took it in and they did a compression test and said everything was fine and they didnt see any smoke. Seems the hotter it was or the longer it sat the more it would smoke on start.
Couple of weeks later it was shaking like a race car. Took it in again and they said one of the spark plugs broke and they replaced them. Seemed to run fine again, but the smoke continued.
Took it back in after about 3k miles of owning it, because there were weird ticking noises. Was told there was no oil in the engine and that it would have to be replaced. Nissan said it wasnt a warrenty issue, so they put a used engine in that had about 60k miles on it.
Now I get 8.9 miles to the gallon, there is a ticking noise on start up in the engine until it warms up for about 10 minutes(has been around 0 degrees lately). Also the power steering is leaking.
I have been in the shop more with this car than 10 years and 120k mile of having my Honda Civic. I dont know what to do with this thing. I like the Murano, just not the problems or the recent gas mileage. I bought the extended warrenty, so the engine didnt cost me anything, but if I try to trade out of this car I am going to be $4k upside down.
It really seems to me that this car may have been faulty to begin with and it was just never reported, just traded out. I would also think that Nissan would take care of the situation, maybe my dealership isnt asking the right way? I feel stuck and am sick of having to take it in every couple of weeks.
Any ideas or help out there?

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow, I don't even know what to say about that. Hopefully the extended warranty you purchased will help with the repairs. It sounds like the engine they put in the car is also a problem.

I'm also wondering why nobody bothered to check the engine oil level?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.