Nissan Murano Forum banner

Need help with CVT problems

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Pilgrim 
#1 ·
Hi All. I have just brought a Murano. I am a fully qualified mechanic and live in the UK. This is the first car that I have knowingly seen with a CVT gearbox. The engine warning light came on when driving, P1778 CVT stepper motor fault. I tracked down and fitted a new stepper motor and replaced the CVT oil. It drives loads better but still has an issue. my main problem is that i am not sure whats normal and whats not.
when the vehicle is cold for the first few miles its almost impossible to drive. it feels like a slipping clutch. the engine revs high ( 3-4k) and the car is very slow to get up to and speed. after a few miles the car drives perfect. i really like driving it. then a few weeks ago when the car was warm and had been driven quite a few miles and was driving great the engine light came back on. P1778 code and it was driving like it does when cold. I plugged in and deleted the errors and it drove perfect again. the first problem here in the uk is that the dealer does not and will not sell any parts for the gearbox. complete unit only (quoted £9800.00), secondly they only offer warranty for 3 year. this is a 2005 model with 98000 miles on the clock.

So what I am really asking is firstly how do they drive normaly from cold start. Frosty mornings Ect and secondly can you please tell me your experiance of what it drove like when your CVT failed. (what happend)

Cheers
Jay

See less See more
#2 ·
No dealers anywhere sell parts for the CVT. Nissan doesn't make parts available - for them, it's a "drop the tranny, put in a new tranny" exercise.

You might find one at a wrecking yard, and that's about the only option I know of.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.