User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 14 Old 10-30-2005, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rear Tailgate will not close

I have a 2004 Murano
The gate was working earlier yesterday and then I opened it and attempted to close it when the latch would not catch. I tried several times to close and it would not.
There is nothing blocking it from closing or in the latch channel.

I also tried it this morning and looked at it and not sure what the issue is.

How do I fix this?
Has anyone had this promblem before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-30-2005, 03:32 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Fortunately I don't have this problem but some members did have this issue (searth the problems thread). It is possible that the unlock solenoid has failed. Try your fob to lock and unlock several times. Check the "hook" that the gate latches to to make sure it is not loose or has not moved (in case you hit it with something when loading or unloading). If that does not work, note the position of the rubber bumpers on the tailgate and then adjust them in or out a bit to see if that helps. Worst case scenario you may have to pop the cover on the tailgate and visually check the locking mechanism to see if it is operational. A visit to dealer will then have to be made if all fails...

Former owner of 2004 SL AWD
post #3 of 14 Old 10-30-2005, 05:10 PM

The handle that opens it, on mine, has been sticking lately. Check to make sure it's returned to the right position by pushing it in, then see if it will latch.

That did it for mine. I'll have to look at it and see where it can be lubed. I suspect it's sucked in water and junk over time, as the back tends to pull it up off the road.

post #4 of 14 Old 11-04-2005, 09:56 PM

i had this problem once before and had to replace the "back door lock actuator" by the dealer. it took them 2 hours to replace it. good luck
post #5 of 14 Old 11-04-2005, 11:33 PM
SHIFT_FASTER

Also I think I read someone had this problem when parked on uneven ground, causing the body to twist slightly. If it's not on flat ground try (carefully) moving to flat ground.

Midnight Blue '03 Murano SE, loaded (no nav)
Pet peeve: people with images or more than 4 lines in their signature.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 Old 11-07-2005, 05:06 PM

This happened to me as well. It actually got to the point where the rear hatch was loosening as I drove. It wouldn't open as it was caught on the latch, but would not close tightly.

They ended up replacing the Actuator Assembly, Lock Assembly and Cable Assembly (that's what it shows for parts, anyways). That was back in January.

Now the handle is starting to stick again in the open position occassionally. I've gotten in the habit of pushing it back before I close it and all is good. Every oil change I ask them to lube it for me, and that does the trick for a bit.

I seriously do think it's all the crud that kicks up from the road while driving, but it's not a safety issue, so I just live with it.
post #7 of 14 Old 11-07-2005, 05:30 PM

Pay attention to the latch handle - normally you squeeze it towards you as you open the door. If the handle sticks in this squeezed position the door will not latch. With the door open, push the handle back towards the front of the car and the door should shut and latch properly if its that handle. If the handle is returning to the original position on its own then the latch itself is at fault.

Initially I picked up a latch actuator thinking this was the problem, but when I had disconnected the handle from the cable, I found the actuator worked fine. The root case was the latch handle has a spring and metal pin that had rusted pretty nicely. Trying to free this up with WD-40 didn't work, I had to remove the handle, then the hing pin and spring. I removed the rust with a wire brush and then spray coated the pin and spring with rustolium to protect them from rusting again. I slightly enlarged the diameter of the holes in the plastic handle that pin rides in to accommodate the paint. Finally I reassembled using Teflon grease and haven't had a problem since.

--------------------------------------
'03 Black SL AWD fully loaded. w/Toyo Proxies 255's
post #8 of 14 Old 04-18-2006, 12:36 PM
SHIFT_FASTER

Well this just happened to me. Nothing has been bent, nothing is blocking the hatch, but the trunk won't close completely. Basically the first latch position will catch, holding it closed, but the second one that closes it tight and tells the car that the latch is closed won't catch. I guess I'll try the multiple lock/unlocks and if that doesn't work I'll assume it's the solenoid.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 14 Old 04-21-2006, 11:37 AM

I had the same problem for about 6 months. When I lubbed the handle it resolved the problem for a month or two. I finally decided to take the handle assembly out to have a look at it. As described in the previous post, the spring-pin assembly of the handle was all rusted. Cleaned, Painted and lubricated the whole thing and it never worked as well as it does now ! Much easier job than it looks like.
post #10 of 14 Old 04-21-2006, 07:59 PM
SHIFT_FASTER

I checked my handle, and it works flawlessly.

post #11 of 14 Old 04-21-2006, 08:13 PM
Super Senior Member

procedure
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	7629
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	12394  

|
|
post #12 of 14 Old 04-23-2006, 02:47 PM
SHIFT_FASTER

Wow, thanks so much! I'll try this out tomorrow morning.

post #13 of 14 Old 05-02-2006, 03:11 PM
SHIFT_FASTER

Checked my bumper rubbers and the bottom 2 were already in all the way. Took it to the dealership this morning and was just called. They tell me it's the latch mechanism and that it'll be $100 for the part and $100 for the labour. They said I should get the handle mechanism replaced at the same time for $40 more, while they have the hatch cover off.

When I got there, the service advisor had heard of the problem several times already.

post #14 of 14 Old 05-03-2006, 06:06 PM
SHIFT_FASTER

Oops, more like $125 for parts and same for labour.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: