Nissan Murano Forum

Nissan Murano Forum (http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/)
-   Problems (http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/66-problems/)
-   -   The infamous starting/stalling warm engine problem. Updates? (http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/66-problems/6580-infamous-starting-stalling-warm-engine-problem-updates.html)

jace 03-27-2006 08:31 PM

The infamous starting/stalling warm engine problem. Updates?

So, my '03 has developed the starting/stalling problem when the engine is warm that I have read about from searching this forum. Basically, if I start the Mo, sometimes (not always) the RPM's drop to ~100 for a second, then jump back up to normal idle. Sometimes, it even stalls out immediately after starting, and I have to restart it.

Has anyone come up with a fix for this? I've read a lot of posts that are somewhat dated, with quite a few people saying they are experiencing this issue, and that it's a common problem with the VQ engines, but no cure. No SES codes to help out, and I've removed my JWT pop-charger and reinstalled the factory air box. Battery is new. Alternator recall was performed ~6 months ago.

Tyler_Canada 03-27-2006 08:43 PM

No fix yet, but mine didn't do it in the winter. The last two years it did it all summer though. We'll see if it starts again.

I really feel it's a crank sensor problem.

Kocioblue MO 03-28-2006 05:46 PM

mine does it too, and im looking for a fix, was about to take it to the dealer then noticed this thread and realized my dealer would most likely do absolutly nothing and just try and tempt me into an 06 (not very hard either..)

rugiles 03-29-2006 01:03 AM

Happened to me last year

I was one of the orginal warm engine stall people. My Dealer replaced the throttle body under warranty and I have not had the problem since, or at least for the past 6 months. The idle no longer drops to 100 rpms then climbs back up. At start up, when warm it settles down to 800 and stays there. I highly recommend getting it looked at. I hated the "will it stall or not" going thru my head and it started getting worse over time.

Tyler_Canada 03-29-2006 12:51 PM

I just goose the throttle if the RPMs start to drop, and it never stalls. I'm way out of warranty, so I'm not going to bother having it looked at.

jace 03-29-2006 12:53 PM

Well, so far, I've collected and printed out 6 entire threads on the subject from this forum. Will be taking it into the stealership to have them look at it... :rolleyes:

rugiles 03-29-2006 05:24 PM

If you run into problems let me know. I will try to find the service records that show what was done. My Dealer/stealer seemed to know what to do for a change.

jace 03-30-2006 07:43 AM

any info you have on how to fix the problem would be helpful. I'd like to go into this armed with as much information as I can ;)

darrylburke 05-14-2006 07:03 PM

I've had this problem for the last 4 months. it's driving me nuts..

Supa Lao 05-15-2006 12:02 AM

I just got this problem after getting my alternator/seat belt/fuel tank shield. I got the recall done on tuesday. I didn't drive the car all week until Sat. Then I took the car to go eat, came out and started the car. Car started and immediately died. Started the car up 5 X and died 5 X. Then I decided to give it some gas and it starts. Everything was fine until they did those recalls. I'm going in tomorrow to have the dealer look at it. I bought this car for my wife w/ our new baby and we haven't had the car for a month yet.
I'll let you know what the dealer says tomorrow...

jace 05-15-2006 07:14 AM

FYI, what fixed my problem was having the dealer relearn/reset the idle air sensor (I think that's the correct term :confused: ). It basically tells the PCM to relearn what the idle should be based on the airflow/volume.

I printed out about 15 complete posts from this forum and took them with me to the dealer to show them that this was a common problem. Apparently it's common to all VQ35 engines. Someone even posted the procedure on how to do this yourself - you'll have to sift through the posts.

Good luck ;)

Supa Lao 05-15-2006 10:14 AM

That's what my dealer told me. They just had to relearn the idle air sensor. Everything is working fine now :)

njjoe 05-15-2006 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Supa Lao
That's what my dealer told me. They just had to relearn the idle air sensor. Everything is working fine now :)
Supa Lao-

Did the dealer give any indication that the stalling problem was in any way related to the recent service they performed?

-njjoe

Supa Lao 05-15-2006 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by njjoe

Supa Lao-

Did the dealer give any indication that the stalling problem was in any way related to the recent service they performed?

-njjoe

They said that after the recall and having the battery off, that they think the car just didn't take to the relearn. So they just relearned it and everything is starting fine. I kinda think they forgot to relearn it.

jace 05-15-2006 12:36 PM

I think mine developed this when I switched to a JWT pop-charger, and then back to stock again.

Tyler_Canada 05-15-2006 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jace
I think mine developed this when I switched to a JWT pop-charger, and then back to stock again.
Did you disconnect the battery cable while doing this?

I had this problem with the stock intake, and with the Pop Charger. I switched back to stock, still had it, switched back to Pop, still had it.

For me the problem only seems to show when it's warm out, but it hasn't shown up yet this year. If it does, I'll have the dealer perform the idle air volume relearn, since the one I tried to do myself just kept failing (I think the volume was too far from normal specs, perhaps because of the Pop).

Enforcer 05-15-2006 08:52 PM

nilemann 06-05-2008 07:39 AM

This was happening to my 04. My mechanic immediately suggested flushing the fuel induction system. He did it and ... problem resolved ... no more hot stall.