Nissan Murano Forum

Nissan Murano Forum (http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/)
-   Problems (http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/66-problems/)
-   -   Service Engine Soon light is on (http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/66-problems/7508-service-engine-soon-light.html)

o6murano 08-06-2006 11:18 PM

Service Engine Soon light is on...

All of a sudden it went on, lastnight I heard a weird noice like a motor or fan running after I shut the car off, now it says Service Engine Soon, maybe the A/C fan? Please help, I'm gonna go to the dealer tomorrow or Tuesday.

njjoe 08-06-2006 11:52 PM

o6murano-

Are you sure it is a new noise? Or are you just more aware of the vehicle noises because the SES came on? (I have definitely experienced the latter.) The reason I ask is because there are several threads that reference the same type of noise, and in most cases it turned out to be the motorized engine mount unique to the VQ. The noise may be unrelated to the SES.

Let us know what you find out from the dealer.

-njjoe

Tyler_Canada 08-07-2006 09:05 AM

The A/C fan won't trigger a SES light. The only things that will trigger that are emissions equipment (catalytic converter, etc), engine and CVT. Since the CVT light isn't lit, it must be one of the first two.

Eric L. 08-09-2006 04:22 PM

Let us know what the dealership finds out. Make sure you have a tech listen to the noise with you present, to confirm that they are aware about the problem (in case its not related to the SES light).

Stephan625 08-14-2006 07:20 AM

I will be curious to see what it is as well. Since mine just cam on this past Saturday. This is the second time for me, although I can't remember what the problem was the first time.

The odd thing is my in-laws have a Murano, same year as mine (2005) and they have had their check engine (service engine soon) light come on twice as well, with in a couple weeks of mine.

makes me wonder...

Stephan625 08-15-2006 12:28 PM

Well just brought mine in today and the service department called me and told me it was for the samne thing that happened back at my 13K mile problem.

They have to replace the throttle body once again. He told me Nissan has changed the design again and he has seen quite a few come in with the same problem.

njjoe 08-15-2006 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Stephan625
He told me Nissan has changed the design again and he has seen quite a few come in with the same problem.
Ohh-ohh. They changed the design? Makes you wonder what was wrong with the previous version.

-njjoe

zebelkhan 08-15-2006 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Stephan625
I will be curious to see what it is as well. Since mine just cam on this past Saturday. This is the second time for me, although I can't remember what the problem was the first time.

The odd thing is my in-laws have a Murano, same year as mine (2005) and they have had their check engine (service engine soon) light come on twice as well, with in a couple weeks of mine.

makes me wonder...

Did by any chance your light come on after a long drive or on a hot day? The only time my SES light came on was after a 8 hour drive in a 100+ weather driving in Las Vegas. I think I had 25K miles then and they changes the throttle body. No lights since. I now have 53K miles but have not had as long of a drive yet.

Stephan625 08-15-2006 02:02 PM

njjoe - Not sure what was wrong with the previous design, or the origianl for that matter.

zebelkhan - it was really nice here (Connecticut) for a change it was brutal a week or so ago, but when it came on it was 75 and no humidty. First time happened at 13K and now I am at 34K.

bob1 12-11-2006 03:30 PM

I'm interested in this thread, not for my MO but my Altima with the 3.5 engine. Just had a SES light come on at 46000 miles. Just a short trip about 1 mile from the house. No apparent change in performance. Not the gas cap or I should say the cap was not loose. I know, wrong forum but same engine, I'm sniffing around. :confused:
Bob1

Eric L. 12-11-2006 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by bob1
I'm interested in this thread, not for my MO but my Altima with the 3.5 engine. Just has a SES light come on at 46000 miles. Just a short trip about 1 mile from the house. No apparent change in performance. Not the gas cap or I should say the cap was not loose. I know, wrong forum but same engine, I'm sniffing around. :confused:
Bob1

Try disconnecting the negative battery cable for half an hour, that should clear the code if its something minor like the gas cap. If it comes back on again, its probably something like an O2 sensor - so get it checked out by the dealer.

bob1 12-11-2006 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Eric L.

Try disconnecting the negative battery cable for half an hour, that should clear the code if its something minor like the gas cap. If it comes back on again, its probably something like an O2 sensor - so get it checked out by the dealer.

Thanks Eric, that's what I've been sniffing for. My son had me disconnect the positive wire for 10 minutes but that did nothing. The light came right back. Tonight I'll try the negative for 30 minutes.
Thanks
Bob1

njjoe 12-11-2006 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by bob1

Thanks Eric, that's what I've been sniffing for. My son had me disconnect the positive wire for 10 minutes but that did nothing. The light came right back. Tonight I'll try the negative for 30 minutes.
Thanks
Bob1

Bob-

Don't bother disconnecting the negative cable. You already powered-down the circuitry when you took your son's advice and disconnected the positive cable. Disconnecting the other cable will have no additional effect.

-njjoe

Tyler_Canada 12-11-2006 04:21 PM

Disconnecting the cables will have no effect on our Murano's. The data is stored in flash, which is not erased when power is removed.

To clear it you need to follow the directions in my post about reading error codes, or use a scan tool to clear it. Get the error codes before you clear them!

Eric L. 12-11-2006 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Tyler_Canada
Disconnecting the cables will have no effect on our Murano's. The data is stored in flash, which is not erased when power is removed.

To clear it you need to follow the directions in my post about reading error codes, or use a scan tool to clear it. Get the error codes before you clear them!

It actually depends how severe the code is. If its something like a misfire, yes the code will be stored to flash. But minor faults generally do not get stored to flash until multiple trips. I've never had the SES come on in the MO, but had it happen a few times in the Maxima - even with something like an O2 sensor, disconnecting the neg cable will turn off the light, and the two trip detection logic will turn it on again if it still detects the fault.