Rear hatch won't unlock or open - Page 2 - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #16 of 24 Old 03-19-2007, 11:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Did the dealer replace your 04 with the better metallic part or he reused the same plastic? Mine is 04 too, and whatever this dealer ordered has not fixed the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 Old 03-19-2007, 12:33 PM
Super Senior Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Maybe you could contact NissanUsa and insist that a regional represenative get involved. I did this before with a Subaru that I had and I got great results. The regional rep would work directly with the Service Manager to hopefully get the issue resolved.

2004 Polished Pewter, SL AWD, Touring, No Nav, Custom Body Moldings
post #18 of 24 Old 03-19-2007, 01:16 PM
SIM
Super Senior Member

The dealer replaced my '04 gear with the newer metallic and better quality one according to what he told me but I did not see it being installed. I trust him though. Both th manager and the mechanic are friends that I go for a beer with every now and then so I don't think that he would have lied to me.

In fact, what he told me is that he replaced the entire handle assembly. There is no way to replace the little dented plastic gear only. Nissan already know that this is a problem on older models because they completely changed the design in 2006.

Murano SL AWD '07 Silver chrome/charcoal w/sunroof (everything but Nav & leather)
Motorola IHF1000 Bluetooth car kit with cell mute for Bose
OEM Nissan iPod interface
Cloud-Rider lower grill
XPel everywhere
Infinity Kappa (4 doors + tweeters), Infinity Basslink T sub
Garmin Nuvi 350 GPS
Aftermarket Code Alarm CA670 with remote start and Flashlogic PK03 (security bypass) & NISDL (door locks & OEM alarm trigger)
Saris Talon 59" load bars with Thule Big Mouth bicycle racks
Curt hitch with homemade harness
Performance exhaust sound only; Yeah, it sounds like a Z but performs like a 4000 pounds MO!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 24 Old 03-19-2007, 02:22 PM

My murano has the hatch issue and it's been having that for a while now. My solution has always been pushing it back towards the front of the car, aka the original state before shutting it close and it has always worked. I somhow do want to find a more permanent solution to this and contacted the dealer for repairs. They said they would charge $200 for labor and about another $100 for parts. That seems to me is ridiculous for what the issue is. I have heard other people resolving this issue just by cleaning, painting and lubricating the spring-pin handle assembly. Is that what i should do here?? And if that's the case, does anyone have the pictures/instructions on how to open the handle assembly and put it back together? i think people have been saying it's relatively easy, right? Thanks in advance for your input/tips.
post #20 of 24 Old 03-19-2007, 08:52 PM
SIM
Super Senior Member

If you have the plastic driven handle then it will fail completely given enough time. Mine was hard to open at first, I had to lock it and unlock a few times to be able to open it later on. You can feel that the handle does not grab the release completely and finally it simply snaps without touching anything and the hatch stays closed for good.

The process took maybe a year or so before it failed completely.

Get it changed before the end of your warranty. It is covered.

Murano SL AWD '07 Silver chrome/charcoal w/sunroof (everything but Nav & leather)
Motorola IHF1000 Bluetooth car kit with cell mute for Bose
OEM Nissan iPod interface
Cloud-Rider lower grill
XPel everywhere
Infinity Kappa (4 doors + tweeters), Infinity Basslink T sub
Garmin Nuvi 350 GPS
Aftermarket Code Alarm CA670 with remote start and Flashlogic PK03 (security bypass) & NISDL (door locks & OEM alarm trigger)
Saris Talon 59" load bars with Thule Big Mouth bicycle racks
Curt hitch with homemade harness
Performance exhaust sound only; Yeah, it sounds like a Z but performs like a 4000 pounds MO!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #21 of 24 Old 03-19-2007, 11:39 PM

vtalum2001
It's an interesting way of describing the same fix. I don't bother pusing it home before closing the hatch. I only push it home when unlocking it (after it's failed to unlock), and it always works.

I've opened the back panel before and removed the whole assembly for inspection when this problem started. It was easy. I just don't know what needs painting or lubrication. Plus I was still under warranty so I decided to let the dealer worry about the fix.

I'm out of warranty now so I'll be interested in any solution you find.

SIM
Do you know if the metallic one is available to buy from dealer or elsewhere?
post #22 of 24 Old 03-20-2007, 12:44 PM

Apache

I've been having the problem for a while now and if you are saying you have opened the whole entire back panel and put it back togehter easily, how did you do it? was it hard?? how long did it take you? I'd like to try to do this myself if i could, as i am outta warranty now and the dealer is charging 200 for labor and 100 for parts. I only have powertrain left. So what should i do?

thanks.
post #23 of 24 Old 03-20-2007, 10:02 PM

vtalum2001,
I didn't take detailed step-by-step photos, but see the attached. Back then I thought the problem was the lock actuator shown in the picture, but I didn't find anything wrong with it.

To remove the back panel open the hatch and remove the four screws/tacks on the lower part of the hatch where it has the latch/lock mechanism. (i.e. the side that sits on the bumper)

The upper portion of the panel doesn't have any screws and so it pops right out with a little pull force. I think there may be two other screws elsewhere, but I can't remember. It's pretty easy to find though.

Once the panel is released from the hatch disconnect the inside light cables and you'll have access to all the lock/actuator/cable assembly.

I hope this helps. Let me know how it goes and whether you find anything that is repairable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0499_small.jpg
Views:	2053
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	13621  
post #24 of 24 Old 06-30-2014, 12:25 PM

I got an '05 myself SL having the same issue…. i thought it was because i had too much stuff in the back and the door was jammed, turns out not.

I removed the little square on the panel and there is no way to get in there but i can see and easily move the plastic lever to the side to engage the unlock situation only while holding that said lever to the right… n pushing the door/trunk up and thankfully the trunk pulls up and is held up by the two strut-piston things on the sides up there.

Any of you know how to remove the part that the gentlemen above was able to remove n take a picture of?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
vtalum2001,
I didn't take detailed step-by-step photos, but see the attached. Back then I thought the problem was the lock actuator shown in the picture, but I didn't find anything wrong with it.

To remove the back panel open the hatch and remove the four screws/tacks on the lower part of the hatch where it has the latch/lock mechanism. (i.e. the side that sits on the bumper)

The upper portion of the panel doesn't have any screws and so it pops right out with a little pull force. I think there may be two other screws elsewhere, but I can't remember. It's pretty easy to find though.

Once the panel is released from the hatch disconnect the inside light cables and you'll have access to all the lock/actuator/cable assembly.

I hope this helps. Let me know how it goes and whether you find anything that is repairable.

Wow .. I must of over (or not) read the above post with the simple details. Thank you so much lol… jesus christopher columbine

Last edited by Armani; 06-30-2014 at 12:27 PM. Reason: i messed up? lulz aye yai yai

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: