Rear hatch won't unlock or open - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 24 Old 10-13-2006, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question Rear hatch won't unlock or open

Over the past year, I have taken my 2003 Murano to the dealership no less than nine (9) times to work on my rear hatch. In stead of the click you should hear when you try to unlock the vehicle, it makes a little whirring sound and remains locked. The dealership says they have replaced everything in the rear mechanism and they don't have a clue why it continues to do this. Has anyone else had this problem? I Hate to have to go to another dealership 30 miles away to get something done, but that may be my next option. My current dealership has one of the mechanics crawl into the back of the vehicle and remove the interior panel to unlock it every time. It works well for about a month or two and then here we go again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 10-13-2006, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Mister Purple-

If your dealer has had 9 opportunities to fix the problem, and he has replaced the entire latching mechanism, and the problem is still not fixed, then it is time to find a more competent dealer. I wouldn't worry about the 30 miles as much as I would the nine wasted trips.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum (Retired)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
-Air Helper Springs

Replaced with 2013 BMW x5d
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and 1973 MGB
post #3 of 24 Old 10-13-2006, 09:54 PM

Odd, haven't they replaced the locking mechinism yet? I would also call Nissan to see if they can offer any assistance. I've heard that after a call, the dealer can suddently "fix" something.

2003 SL AWD Black

post #4 of 24 Old 10-14-2006, 12:52 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Maybe it is a power issue? Can you power the solenoide directly and see if it works?

Former owner of 2004 SL AWD
post #5 of 24 Old 10-14-2006, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Rear hatch won't unlock

I bought a 2004 just over a week ago, and after a week the rear hatch ceased to unlock. Symptom is the same a Mister Purple described.

What is interesting is when I was taking delivery I insisted on getting copies of all repairs made on the vehicle by the dealer, and I noticed on the report that a few weeks before I took delivery, the dealer had "fixed rear hatch lock."

It seems to me that I'm going to go through the same ordeal even if I take it to the dealer to fix it (still under warranty). I don't want to visit any dealership 9 times to fix a rear hatch lock. If anybody else has a permanent fix please help us.
Thanks.

New member, great forum!!!!
post #6 of 24 Old 10-14-2006, 03:38 PM

OK, I fixed my hatch problem in about 30 min. Half the time was spent on trying to reproduce the problem. I determined that the unlock mechanism doesn't return all the way home when you hit the unlock on the fob. The whirring (pong) sound is the motor trying to overcome the stuck mechanism. I could reproduce the sound by holding the latch and hiting unlock on the fob.

I removed the inside hatch panel and removed the lock. I
Interesting finding is that the lock returns about half way and then stops. If you push it down slightly you can open the hatch.

After removing the lock I inspected and couldn't find exactly what caused it to jam, but I'm pretty sure the motor has nothing to do with it.

I greesed all moving parts inside the lock with faucet greese, and put it back together (it seemed like some moving parts lacked lubrication, it was just metal on metal). I'll see how long this goes.

I'm new to this forum, but once I figure out how post photos I'll post some photos of what I did.
post #7 of 24 Old 10-14-2006, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

My wife and I worked with it some last night and may have come up with a sort-of solution. Like Apache said, the handle mechanism is not returning to the "open" position. By manually putting the handle in the open position and then hitting the unlock button, the hatch will unlock and open. Pulling the handle in the opposite of the normal opening movement is much better than constantly going to the dealer, but this still should not be happening. I will see if I can work some wonders with grease.

Thanks for all your inputs!
post #8 of 24 Old 10-15-2006, 12:47 AM

Does the handle on the hatch return freely from the open position? My latch handle pin was rusty causing the hatch lock not to work properly. More info on sticking hatches can be found here:
Rear Tailgate will not close
post #9 of 24 Old 12-10-2006, 09:38 PM

Rear hatch won't unlock

OK. So much for a fix. The hatch locked again two weeks after I released it. I've been driving with locked-down hatch for close to two months now. I'll take it to the dealer for repair soon.
post #10 of 24 Old 12-10-2006, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

The "fix" has been working like a charm for me. The only change to what was stated previously is that I have to return the handle to the normal closed position, lock the vehicle again, and then unlock the vehicle. This has worked every time for me. Good luck and let us know if you come up with a real solution.
post #11 of 24 Old 12-13-2006, 10:34 PM

I took my MO in to the dealer today to look at the problem. I made it clear to them it's an intermittent problem so I don't want anyone to climb back there, release it, and say it's fixed.

They checked and said there is a problem with some pin in cable between the lever and actuator which prevents the latch from returning home (probably the same rusty pin described elsewhere in this forum). They have parts on order so I'll find out in a few days if that fixes it. This will be warranty fix, but I wouldn't want to make multiple trips to the dealer to get this right.

I'm sure Nissan would have spent less making this pin rust proof than they will pay on this warranty repair. Perhaps expensive warranty repairs would motivate for them to get it right next time. Will keep you posted.
post #12 of 24 Old 03-18-2007, 10:18 PM

OK. Dealer ordered parts and "fixed" this hatch problem. The lever definitely felt firmer since then. But that was in Jan 2006.

Just last week after a snow storm I hit the unlock button on key fob, and then heard the telltale sound: poinggggg!!!

I couldn't believe my ears so I repeated unlock multiple times and hatch would not open!

Of course I did the "fix": Pushed the lever to return home fully and unlock again; and it worked.

I hope this helps others who may be searching for solution to this problem.
post #13 of 24 Old 03-18-2007, 10:20 PM

I'll admit I didn't read this thread 100%, but did you ever try to lock and then unlock the MO with the key fob to see if that solves the issue?

2003 SL AWD Black
post #14 of 24 Old 03-18-2007, 10:56 PM

Yep, tried that multiple times in the past. It didn't help.

The only thing that helps every time is to push the lever back home, and then unlock with keyfob again. No need to even lock before unlocking (as Mister Purple had to do).
post #15 of 24 Old 03-18-2007, 11:12 PM
SIM
Super Senior Member

The hatch handle grabs a lot of dirt and sand and is not sealed on all models up to 2005. My dealer changed the mechanism on my '04 because the hatch would not open. This mechanical device uses a plastic dented part to get the door open and when sufficient dirt and sand grinded it, it simply stops to work. The dealer told me that this cheap plastic part was replaced with a metallic one in 2005. The 2006 and 2007 models use a sealed electronic button that will not be contaminated.

Murano SL AWD '07 Silver chrome/charcoal w/sunroof (everything but Nav & leather)
Motorola IHF1000 Bluetooth car kit with cell mute for Bose
OEM Nissan iPod interface
Cloud-Rider lower grill
XPel everywhere
Infinity Kappa (4 doors + tweeters), Infinity Basslink T sub
Garmin Nuvi 350 GPS
Aftermarket Code Alarm CA670 with remote start and Flashlogic PK03 (security bypass) & NISDL (door locks & OEM alarm trigger)
Saris Talon 59" load bars with Thule Big Mouth bicycle racks
Curt hitch with homemade harness
Performance exhaust sound only; Yeah, it sounds like a Z but performs like a 4000 pounds MO!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: