Oil Cooler Gasket Change - Page 2 - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
#16 Old 11-28-2011, 04:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the very well done thread. My 03 Murano was leaking there too. When the wheel and tire and inner fender guard was removed, I removed the oil filter and took a very close look at it all. The coolant line on the rear left had no play, so to me it looked like it was pointless to try and remove the coolant housing, unless prepared to either crimp off the coolant lines or r and r the coolant. didn't want to do that so I just tightened the nut which was not loose, but was able to be turned about 1/9 or 1/8 or a turn. The leak stopped.

My question, were you able to move the coolant housing enough and not disconnect the coolant lines?

Thanks,
rr70
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 11-28-2011, 04:46 PM
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner70 View Post
My question, were you able to move the coolant housing enough and not disconnect the coolant lines?

Thanks,
rr70
No you don't....you can see in the third photo that the housing is still connected to the cooling line......

Hi guys! Hope all is well; doing great here. Still an awesome site!

'03 Silver SL AWD w/Sunroof - SOLD
Original Alternator (Just got the NEW recall Alt :-)
Air Lift Rear Suspension
Thule Roof Rack system
Curt Hitch
180,000+ km
'07 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD
White
18" Crome Wheels
Curt Hitch
#18 Old 12-12-2011, 06:07 PM

Hello! I have a 2004 Murano that I purchased in May of this year. I already had to replace the Catalytic Converter (under warranty) at the dealer. A few days ago, I took it in for a power steering leak. The "service advisor" called me to tell me I had 2 leaks. There was only one leak visible on driveway. He said the High Side Line and Power Steering Pressure Switch were needed to correct the leak. Then he added there was an Engine oil leak and he needed to replace the seal on the oil cooler. Total charges 842.29 He also wanted to do an Alignment. I told him I had been given an estimate of HALF the total from 2 other "advisors" (2 months before), He had no comment on that. He repeated his total. I dropped it off first thing in the morning (7:30), asking it be ready by 12:15. This "advisor" called me at 12:00, to tell me what he wanted to charge me. I was upset they had not worked on the vehicle yet. NO call from the place. I called 15 minutes to closing. Another guy answers and says Hold on, let me check to see if it's finished. He says yes, and I get a ride there. NO explanation of the work done by mechanic. He just was the last guy there and he wanted to leave, so he hands me my papers and directs me to the Cashier. As I drove away, I noticed a "thumping" sound by the front driver's side. My question is, Did they move something? Do they take the wheels down to do these repairs?? Will an alignment get rid of that noise?
#19 Old 01-15-2012, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneofnine View Post
Hello! I have a 2004 Murano that I purchased in May of this year. I already had to replace the Catalytic Converter (under warranty) at the dealer. A few days ago, I took it in for a power steering leak. The "service advisor" called me to tell me I had 2 leaks. There was only one leak visible on driveway. He said the High Side Line and Power Steering Pressure Switch were needed to correct the leak. Then he added there was an Engine oil leak and he needed to replace the seal on the oil cooler. Total charges 842.29 He also wanted to do an Alignment. I told him I had been given an estimate of HALF the total from 2 other "advisors" (2 months before), He had no comment on that. He repeated his total. I dropped it off first thing in the morning (7:30), asking it be ready by 12:15. This "advisor" called me at 12:00, to tell me what he wanted to charge me. I was upset they had not worked on the vehicle yet. NO call from the place. I called 15 minutes to closing. Another guy answers and says Hold on, let me check to see if it's finished. He says yes, and I get a ride there. NO explanation of the work done by mechanic. He just was the last guy there and he wanted to leave, so he hands me my papers and directs me to the Cashier. As I drove away, I noticed a "thumping" sound by the front driver's side. My question is, Did they move something? Do they take the wheels down to do these repairs?? Will an alignment get rid of that noise?
might want to check to see if the little removable plastic panel piece that gives you access to the oil filter and belts area is still intact, my wife lost hers already, its only held on by a few plastic clips, and if the plastic clips arent replaced properly then they will pop right out and you lose the panel, when we bought our MO used it only had two clips holding it on, didnt think anything of it, and one day it was gone...o well, maybe ill find a junk yard so i can find a replacement one day

thanks for the right up on the easy seal replacement, ill being doing this tomorrow for sure, im renting my house right now and have a lot of oil to clean up in the driveway now since this leak started and im moving at the end of this month...anybody know of anything that gets oil out of concrete fairly easily?

welp...the dealership is closed on sundays...damn
#20 Old 01-16-2012, 02:17 AM

Send a message via AIM to turbizzy
Just wanted to let you guys know theres an updated gasket now, its black instead of orange. Ill get you a part number next time i do another one.

Izzy - MY PANDORA BODYKIT FOR SALE
04 Murano SE
05 Colorado ZQ8
85 Mustang SVO
#21 Old 01-16-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbizzy View Post
Just wanted to let you guys know theres an updated gasket now, its black instead of orange. Ill get you a part number next time i do another one.

i got you man, since i did mine today, went and got the gasket and had the job done in less than an hour...easy squeezy

New one is black, its quite a bit thicker too...maybe it'll do its job longer...haha

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0033.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	17021   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0034.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	17022  
#22 Old 01-17-2012, 02:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to turbizzy
Yep that looks about right.

Izzy - MY PANDORA BODYKIT FOR SALE
04 Murano SE
05 Colorado ZQ8
85 Mustang SVO
#23 Old 01-17-2012, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbizzy View Post
Excellent.

I nominate you for employee of the month. That's a nice perk that entitles you to the EOTM parking spot right next to the main entrance at the forum headquarters and free coffee in the cafeteria.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
#24 Old 02-03-2012, 07:46 PM
=:)

Just did mine today, found it easier to do if you remove the coolant line mounting bolts
to give more play. Coolant adapter mounting bolt was not tight at all, but since I was
that far into it, changed the O ring.

04 SE QX1 Caffe Latte
-After market alarm-85 Watt Hella driving lights-PIAA yellow parking lights-Auto locking doors-Wolo air horns-Fog light DTRL-Floor Lights-33uF Tweeter Mod-Metalic Black Grill-Lower grill
#25 Old 05-13-2012, 05:05 PM

I'm going to do this tomorrow when I get the parts. I don't know what kind of oil is in mine bug if wi have Penzoil when I'm done, and I always use K&N filters.
The oil is super clean but the car has 144k on it and if looks like the folk who had if before me took care of the engine and tranny maint, but let everything else go. I'm trying to get it back in shape, I will do the oil pan gasket too cause it has a small leak. Next week I will do the rear breaks, the rotors look ok but are out of spek according to the stamp, then the week after that, comes the front. I'm just going to replace everything but the calipers (gonna paint those Black) then I'll know what I have.

Inkman
2003 SL AWD
Bright Silver w/black leather
All options but navigation
Nissan HID headlights
K&N air, oil and cabin filters
Bosch Iredium spark plugs
Nitto NT-850 tires
#26 Old 05-13-2012, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Are you sure the oil pan gasket is leaking? I suspect its all coming from the oil cooler leak.
#27 Old 05-13-2012, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkman1961 View Post
I will do the oil pan gasket too cause it has a small leak.
Be advised there is no oil pan gasket.

I replaced my rusted oil pan last week and can confirm it uses RTV as the sealant. I used Permatex Ultra-Black RTV.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
#28 Old 06-20-2012, 11:45 PM

Great Post!!! Thank you for taking the time to post!
#29 Old 10-22-2012, 10:59 AM

Hi does anybody know if the cooling hoses are difficult to change out as well?

Thanks.

Baseball is 70% mental the other half is physical.

-Yogi Berra
#30 Old 12-07-2012, 10:19 AM

Great Post on this subject. Just changed my oil cooler seal a couple days ago...easy peasy lemon squeezie. Dealer quoted me $150 (1.2 hrs). I did this job in less than 30 minutes and spent $5.37.

Now I just need to figure out where the noise is coming from when I turn my steering wheel. I'm thinking lower ball joint, but not sure. Already replaced CV axle (drive shaft) and apparently that wasn't the problem. It's a very sharp popping noise. Several pops as I turn the steering wheel while parked and while driving slow.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: