Nissan Murano Forum banner

DIY- License plate bulb replacement

25K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  DiamondDave 
#1 ·
Why would someone post such a thread??? Because it's not a simple unscrew this or that, it involves removing the back door trim panel. This procedure is located in the service manual but does not go into particulars about clip removal. I posted this thread so you wouldn't have any fear of "ripping" up your back trim panel. If your like me, your anal about the condition of your vehicles. This should only take you 30 minutes.

Tools:

Medium and small flathead screwdrivers. Trim removal tool if you have access to one (it's not really needed if you take your time with the screwdrivers)

1. Open back door fully.

2. Remove the "pull handle" from the right bottom portion of the door by using a flathead screwdriver to pry it out. It is plastic and has 4 retention spots (two in front and two in back).

3. Remove cargo lights by prying them with a screw driver, they have two retention spots on the left and right sides, unhook the harness by putting pressure on the release clips. Be gentle...

4. Remove clips on bottom of the trim. These clips are the same color as the trim. Remove them by pushing the center in until you hear a light click. Pry the main body of the clip out with a thin blade screwdriver or trim removal tool. (to install them-take the center out and push the main body of the clip into the mount hole, put the center back in and push inward-you may have to position the center piece to get it to go in)

5. Now comes the removal of the back door trim. Start by grabbing the top of the trim near the wiper motor (near widow), apply medium pressure along the top and pull outward - this will disconnect the trim panel clips. Go to the left top (near window) of the trim and pull outward - there will be one "pawl" clip. Go to the right top (near window) of the trim and pull outward - there will be one "pawl" clip also.

6. Once you get it loose, remove trim to access the light bulbs. Don't be afraid to pull on it, the trim panel clips are removable and easily replaced if you break one.

7. Twist the bulb sockets counter clockwise and remove, replace bulbs (part #168). Put sockets back in by twisting clockwise.

8. Replace trim by attaching the right and left top clips (the single pawl clips). Fit the bottom loosely over the mount holes, adjust the mid section and the trim panel clips should fit into the holes with ease. Tap the trim panel clips into place and replace everything as you removed; the grab handle and cargo lamps.

*NOTE* when replacing the trim panel remember to support the panel until your shure it is securely fitted onto the back door.

And then your done...

See less See more
#4 ·
Is this the same procedure for replacing the reverse bulbs? I've searched the archives with no luck. I have been testing wedge-sized LEDs (for the front parking lights) and now have a dozen LEDs sitting around without a purpose. I figure I can swap out the reverse bulbs and license plate bulbs with the leftover LEDs.

Thanks,

Patrick

#6 ·
This is another case where Nissan dropped the ball with regards to customer support. Bulb replacement should not require a trip to the dealership!

All "exterior" lamps should be readily accessible and easily replaceable. If they are not then they should be long-life bulbs or LEDs.

-njjoe

#8 ·
Phatty McPatty said:
Cliffymiracle, thanks for your help. I sent you my email via PM.

NJJoe, I can only imagine how tedious this is going to be based on the license plates! :3:
Hopefully you got the PDF...

Can you tell me about the LED bulbs you have been using? I heard that some bulbs do not function correctly using the the 12v relay system in some vehicles, is this true?

#9 ·
Hey Cliff! Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier... hectic week! Thanks again for the lighting diagram. It's given me a couple more ideas!

To answer you're question, to date I've had no problems with the LEDs I've tried. All but one of the LEDs I tried were from LEDLight.com. I also got a pair of PIAA Super Tera 4500Ks from Ebay. All of them worked fine. Some bright, some not. Each had a unique light pattern. The reason behind all of the LED testing is that I'm trying to find a bright LED parking light replacement to be used as a DRL. Although I haven't had much success with the DRL aspect, I have found some really bright LEDs! Here's the thread (I hijacked from RedKiosk :27: ) if you're interested: LED Parking Lights . I did individual writeups of the lamps I ordered and included pictures.

So with you're writeup and lighting diagram, all of the leftover LEDs are getting repurposed and going into the MO this weekend! Thanks again!

Patrick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.