User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 03-30-2009, 08:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Belt Change

Hi all,

I just want to share my experience with the nissan dealer regarding the 2 belt replacement I had a couple of months ago. When I noticed a lot of cracks on my muranos v belt when I was changing oil last jan. I had the dealer replaced both belts for 160. A month after, noised started coming out from the pulley--the one driving the power steering. Called the dealer and told them the problem. I was sure that the only reason for that pulley to be damaged was by over tightening the belt and grinding out the bearing--(the belt is the only one in contact with the pulley at any time) and I told them that. So I asked him if they find out that the pulley was indeed the problem they will fix it under work warranty. And he agreed. Hearing him agree on that I was confident that there should be no problem and no charge. I had my wife drop off the car that day. a few hours later I get a call and the advisor was charging us 380 or something like that. I was mad. I talked to the guy/advisor who agreed with me and now his music was that it was normal wear and I have to pay. I said that it was BS and that 1 month is normal war for you. I owned 4 car 1 over 17 years beside the murano and never had pulley problems ever. I know that he was just trying to bully my wife about the whole thing cause she was the one waiting for the car. I told my wife to tell the guy/advisor she want to talk to the service manager and insist that it was their mechanics fault for over tightening the belt and grinding out the pulleys bearing. Somehow the advisor changed his mind and said he is gonna try something she told my wife. Later, he just said that the service manager agreed to the work under warranty and there will be no charge. They try to sound like he was doing me a favor or something to that effect. What a dealer.==advisor of desert nissan--vegas.
nitely
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-31-2009, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I'm just happy it was a good ending for you. I've always been of the opinion the women are taken advantage of more than men. Sad...but true.

Good for you for backing up your wife though!

I'll be replacing my belts with some GatorBack belts this summer. My MO is over 40K miles and I have quite a few cracks on my belts as well.

After 142K miles, my MO is history. Now sporting a loaded silver 2012 Ford Edge Limited with 20" wheels.
#3 Old 03-31-2009, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
warhammer, this is the first time I've heard of Gatorback belts. I'm unable to get the "distributer" link to work. Can you recommend a store that sells them? From the limited research I've done, it looks like a superior product.
#4 Old 04-01-2009, 11:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I get my belts from AutoZone. I haven't been down there yet to get them, but I've had nothing but good experiences. They last a VERY long time and are superior to other belts in my opinion.

After 142K miles, my MO is history. Now sporting a loaded silver 2012 Ford Edge Limited with 20" wheels.
#5 Old 04-01-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Warhammer
I get my belts from AutoZone. I haven't been down there yet to get them, but I've had nothing but good experiences. They last a VERY long time and are superior to other belts in my opinion.
I second that. I have put the Gatorback belt on My Armada and plan on the MO too.

2006 Nissan Murano SE AWD Platinum Pearl Metallic-Fully Loaded!

2004 Nissan Pathfinder Armada SE Smoke 4x4- 2 Degree Advanced Timing, Air-Box Mod, K&N Drop In Filter, Active Tuning Grounding Kit, Chrome OEM Grille, Bug Deflector, V8 Emblems, LE Emblem, Front and Back Mud Flaps, Big Tow Package, Prodigy Brake Controller, Microfilter, Floor Mats,Qx56 Chrome Wheels, OEM Fog Lights, Back-Up Camera!

1997 Mitsubishi Montero SR-Fully Loaded!

16FT Steel Bed Car Hauler

1966 M543 A2 5 Ton Wrecker, 1952 & 54 M-37, 1947 B-1 Power Wagon, 1967 M-6217 x 2, 1969 M-715, 1967 M-715, M-101 Trailer x 8,
#6 Old 04-10-2009, 06:08 PM

Lightbulb BELT Changes

How difficult is it to change the belts on the Murano? I saw that you need to take off a panel in the passenger wheel well and torque the adjustments. Any stories on the amount of effort and any special tools required?
#7 Old 04-10-2009, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Re: BELT Changes

Quote:
Originally posted by gregf
How difficult is it to change the belts on the Murano? I saw that you need to take off a panel in the passenger wheel well and torque the adjustments. Any stories on the amount of effort and any special tools required?
How difficult is it to change the belts?? Flip a coin.

Some members have found it to be a relatively easy task, especially when you consider the confined space where the belts reside. Other members have found it to be a maddening job due to frozen bolts and a fragile idler pulley.

One member, DallasKRSRider, had a bear of a time removing the idler pulley nut. I believe he eventually rented a jack-hammer and used a 12-foot breaker bar to loosen the sucker. You can check out his thread here: Idler Pulley

No special tools are required, but a torque wrench is advisable to ensure the bolts are adequately tightened without being over-tightened.

Good luck.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread