User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 07-31-2009, 09:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Murano Fog Light bulb replacement?

Hi All,
My 2006 has a burned out fog light (passenger side).

I know from the manual that the bulb is a 51 watt HB4 but how the heck am I supposed to access it? The owners manual says I'm supposed to take it to a dealer (not going to happen...).

I tried taking a few screws out of the bottom bumper cover but am afraid I'll break something if I try and pry it out of the way to access the back of the unit.

Any suggestions?

TIA for the advice,
Daryl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-31-2009, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Re: Fog Light bulb replacement?

Quote:
Originally posted by DarylS
Hi All,
My 2006 has a burned out fog light (passenger side).

I know from the manual that the bulb is a 51 watt HB4 but how the heck am I supposed to access it? The owners manual says I'm supposed to take it to a dealer (not going to happen...).

I tried taking a few screws out of the bottom bumper cover but am afraid I'll break something if I try and pry it out of the way to access the back of the unit.

Any suggestions?

TIA for the advice,
Daryl
Daryl
I have done both sides on my mo and the passenger side is the most entertaining, but can be done.

First I found it easier to remove the right front tire ( your choice as you can turn the wheel hard right to this may give you enough room)

Undo the lower section of the wheel well cover in front of the tire and pull it back a bit, you will be able to see the fog light assembly from there. The light is partially hidden by the windsheild washer tank.

There is a small screw bolt on top of the fog light holder (I think it was 2-3 mm). Once that is remove, you should be able to push the foglight assembly forward so that you can pull it forward from the front of the Mo, enough to disconnect the electrical connection. The fog light may be tight in the bumper, a shot of silcon around the light assembly helped to move mine

After you replace the light, put back together by reversing the practice above.

Take solice as the drivers side foglamp is easier to get to as there is less equipment on the side.

Good luck

2003 Silver murano
SL AWD
Sunroof
Sunroof deflector
Roof rack cross bars
Cloud rider lower grill
Bug deflector
2011 VW Jetta TDI
#3 Old 07-31-2009, 12:45 PM

1st Gen or 2nd Gen?

1st Gen instructions with pictures HERE .

Basically you access it thru the wheel well, not engine bay.

EDIT: THERE IS NO NEED TO REMOVE THE WHEEL! That is a time consuming step that is totally unnecessary. I've opened both sides more times than probably anyone here with all of the bulb testing I've done. To make it easier (but still not necessary), turn the tire toe-in on that side (turn it far left) to give you some room.

Remove the 3 screws holding the mud flap and pull it back (don't need to remove). Pull out 2 pop pins at the top of the wheel well holding the plastic insert and carefully peel back the plastic (this how you get to ALL front bulbs). I found it easiest to start near the mud flap and work my way up to the top. Remove the single bolt on top of fog light assembly (10mm) and (while bracing assembly from front) push 2 pins holding assembly in place. The added suggestion for the passenger side, the windshield washer fluid reservoir is directly behind the fog light assembly blocking easy access. Reach your hand ABOVE the reservoir (not below) and you'll have pretty good access to it. You have to work on this one a bit by feel.

If you have OEM HIDs, I'd suggest buying a pair of Hoen ColorMatch bulbs. They are a very good color temperature match to the color temperature of the OEM HIDs (4300K). You don't realize how dingy yellow it looks until you swap them out.

I've done a lot of various bulb testing/swapping, so if you have any questions let me know.

Patrick

2006 SL AWD - Platinum
#4 Old 08-01-2009, 02:49 PM

Thumbs up Thank you!

Thanks Stoker and Patrick!

My '06 would be a 1st gen vehicle. I followed the links Patrick suggested to an excellent pictoral DIY done by "Mhnd1985".

Pictorial DIY Fog light replacement (by Mhnd1985)

I left the tire on and with the wheel turned hard left had no problems with needing enough access room; everything went smoothly. Total time was about 20 minutes. There is no way I could have done it as quickly without the advice.

I'm new to these forums so obviously need to learn how to use the search function better. Thanks for the replies!

Daryl
#5 Old 02-03-2011, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoker View Post
Daryl
I have done both sides on my mo and the passenger side is the most entertaining, but can be done.

First I found it easier to remove the right front tire ( your choice as you can turn the wheel hard right to this may give you enough room)

Undo the lower section of the wheel well cover in front of the tire and pull it back a bit, you will be able to see the fog light assembly from there. The light is partially hidden by the windsheild washer tank.

There is a small screw bolt on top of the fog light bulb holder (I think it was 2-3 mm). Once that is remove, you should be able to push the foglight assembly forward so that you can pull it forward from the front of the Mo, enough to disconnect the electrical connection. The fog light may be tight in the bumper, a shot of silcon around the light assembly helped to move mine

After you replace the light, put back together by reversing the practice above.

Take solice as the drivers side foglamp is easier to get to as there is less equipment on the side.

Good luck
Hello, I am planning to replace my bulb this weekend. I know this was year ago but im pretty sure that i can do this easier because of the tips you have shared. I hope everything will come smoothly.
#6 Old 02-04-2011, 08:45 AM
Qat

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The 2nd gen is exactly the same - big windshield washer fluid tank in the way on the passenger side.

I simply turned the tire, loosened the bottom of the wheel well liner and pulled it out a bit, and I was able to reach in and pull the bulb out and replace by feel. It helps to have someone hold a flashlight for you.

I had no need to loosen the fog light housing and push it out. Then again I have small girly hands, which probably helps.

Here's another tip - when putting in new bulbs, wear those disposable 'surgeons' gloves so you don't get any oil from your skin on the new bulb (which is widely believed to contribute to shorter bulb life) - in the tight spots on the Murano it is impossible to change the bulb without touching the glass.

2010 SL Tinted Bronze/Beige | Leather | Premium | 360°
LED DRLs | Interior LEDs | Aluminum Pedals | All Weather Mats & Cargo Liner | Fumoto Oil Drain Valve | Reese Hitch

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: