Nissan Murano scheduled maintenance-please help - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 01-16-2010, 06:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nissan Murano scheduled maintenance-please help

OK, bought a 2006 SL AWD in September. It was previously owned as a fleet lease for an oil company. Murano was CLEAN, sound and had LOW mileage. Plus, it got much better gas mileage and looks worlds better than my old Explorer.
Just spent $700 replacing a high pressure steering wheel hose. I also had a check engine light and dealership told me it was a failing fuel sensor. It's covered under my gap warrenty, but sensor has not completely failed yet, therefore gap warrenty will not cover it till it does. Dealership wanted $460 (out-of-pocket) too replace this, but couldn't spend almost $1200 & pay my car note too.
So after the back story, here's my question: (the recommended scheduled maintenance for the Murano was pretty much non-exsistent, with the exception of oil changes, tune-up and tire rotation.) Should I go ahead and bite the bullet and get everything done that is recommended for scheduled service at the 20,000, 25,000, & 30,000 miles???
I know with all the various things required, this service is going to be a PRETTY penny. A little help for this middle income Special Education Teacher (who is a novice in the world of Murano) would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-16-2010, 08:37 PM
Super Senior Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
First thing; welcome to the MO forum.
Secondly; thank you for being a SET. Your work is much appreciated.

Now then; how many miles do you have?

As far as the maintenance schedules go; I'm sure that you will find the majority of folks here will do the basic. The second and third level maintenance is really not required unless you want them done.

I take it that the high pressure hose was not covered on the original bumper to bumper warranty or the "gap" warranty?

I've put on more than 178,000km (120+k miles) and have NEVER opted of the second or third tiered maintenance schedule.

I'm sure you will get others posting their thoughts on here too.

'03 Silver SL AWD w/Sunroof - SOLD
Original Alternator (Just got the NEW recall Alt :-)
Air Lift Rear Suspension
Thule Roof Rack system
Curt Hitch
180,000+ km
'07 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD
White
18" Crome Wheels
Curt Hitch
#3 Old 01-16-2010, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum.

Failing fuel sensor?? That sounds a bit vague. Do you happen to have the error code?

Do you have any maintenence records.

How many miles are on your MO? If it is less than 105,000 miles then you can probably get by with the basics - oil change, cabin and engine air filters, antifreeze. All of these items can easily be done by an industrious Special Ed teacher for less than $100.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
#4 Old 01-16-2010, 10:04 PM

I don't understand... the sensor is causing a check engine light but it hasn't completely failed?

How many miles are on the MO now? Do you still have the 3 years/36Kwarranty? If so that sensor and the high pressure line should be covered 100% by Nissan.

2003 SL AWD Black
#5 Old 01-16-2010, 11:44 PM

2006 Murano SL AWD

I've got 31,743 miles on my Murano. The 36 month (bumper to bumper) warranty expired at the end of October. Right now, I know for sure the automatic transmission is covered by Nissan. I received a letter about two weeks ago from Nissan letting me know the a/t is covered for 10 years or 100,000 miles.
Nissan dealership in Houston stated that power steering fluid was leaking from power steering pressure line. Belts, hoses, fluids and filters are NOT covered under the'gap' warranty that I purchased with my MO.
Dealership ran a diagnostic test ($69.95) and found DTC PO463 Fuel Level Sensor, internally damage level sensor. 'Gap' warranty adjustor stated that it's faulty, but has not "completely failed". Dealership wanted $458.00 to replace faulty fuel sensor and I would have had to pay that out-of-pocket.
Service Engine Soon light comes on and then with in a few days, goes back off. It seems to come on when I "floor it" or rather when I need to zip on to the street without getting hit. When the light comes on, my miles to empty become extremely erratic. I might have 200 miles to empty, but when the light comes on, the number 'jumps around' or I get four stars across where the miles should be.
So I paid $69.95 (to dealership) and another $573.82 (all out-of-pocket) for the steering high pressure line, fluid and labor to my mechanic.
My mechanic than told me I've got a nice car, but it's 'high maintenance'. He told me that I needed to do all the suggested required mileage maintenance that Nissan prints in the Scheduled Maintenance book. I bought a 'new' car so I wouldn't have to worry about a bunch of added expenses. I knew I was going to have a car note, just didn't plan on expenses that are more than the note itself.
#6 Old 01-17-2010, 07:52 AM
Super Senior Member

Re: 2006 Murano SL AWD

Quote:
Originally posted by baseball4life

My mechanic than told me I've got a nice car, but it's 'high maintenance'. He told me that I needed to do all the suggested required mileage maintenance that Nissan prints in the Scheduled Maintenance book.
So it sounds like you are using a Nissan dealership to diagnose; then you have a local mechanic to do the work?

That's ok, but I might say that your mechanic is wrong in stating that the MO is a "high-maintenance" vehicle. Very much far from it.

In your purchase; did you receive the Nissan's Schedule Maintenance booklet? It lists 3 levels of service schedules for each interval. Only the "basic" level is required for warranty purpose and to keep the MO very happy. Maybe your mechanic is trying to keep himself busier than he needs to be...

Air Lift Rear Suspension
Thule Roof Rack system
Curt Hitch
180,000+ km
'07 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD
White
18" Crome Wheels
Curt Hitch
#7 Old 01-17-2010, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Re: Re: 2006 Murano SL AWD

Quote:
Originally posted by BikerJohn
So it sounds like you are using a Nissan dealership to diagnose; then you have a local mechanic to do the work?

That's ok, but I might say that your mechanic is wrong in stating that the MO is a "high-maintenance" vehicle. Very much far from it.
Based on my 5+ (and 72K miles) of ownership, I totally agree. Sounds to me like your `mechanic' is trying to pad his own wallet. I say run - don't walk - to another mechanic.
#8 Old 01-17-2010, 10:36 AM

2006 Murano SL AWD Scheduled maintenance

You know, I've been going to this mechanic for seventeen years. For the first fourteen he went from being 'cheap' in his charges too 'almost same' as certified mechanics. I now see when he became 'certified' and his shops interior got 'much nicer', the GREAT deals ended.
I'd have paid $75 more had I stayed at the Nissan dealership. Guy from the 'gap warranty' company suggested I go into a Auto Zone, O'Reily's or Advanced Auto Parts and talk to the counter guys. Ask them if they know someone in the area who is a good, reputable mechanic who won't 'clean my clock'.
So, what do you guys know about this fuel sensor? Is this something any of you have had to deal with? After the dealership stated the gas tank has to come out in order for it to be replaced, I figured I'd wait till the sensor 'fails completely' or take it back for 'gap warranty' work when state inspection is due. And that's not going to be until July.
OK, as far as the levels of scheduled maintenance, I have been keeping up with oil changes and tire rotation since I took ownership in September. I maintain tire pressure and check fluids regularly. I have to admit, I went with a Japanese car because of how durable they are. Did I mention that the MO is SHARP?
I ABSOLUTELY love driving my MO! It is by FAR the most exciting vehicle I have ever owned. Did I mention how sharp it is? This is my first ever car with leather seats, wood grain paneling, moonroof, rearview camera, DVD/Bose sound system and the instrumentation is mind boggling
I am EXTREMELY grateful that you guys have created and maintain this website exclusively for the Murano. I know I will become a regular visitor and gain greater knowledge of the MO. Along the way, I also know I will ask many questions as well as guidance & advice.
#9 Old 01-17-2010, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

The fact that your DTE display is erratic supports your dealer's contention that the fuel level sensor has failed. I would call your GAP insurance rep and escalate the issue.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM iPod interface
-Muth signal mirrors
#10 Old 01-17-2010, 12:14 PM

I agree with Njoe..... has not completely failed... such BS.

Thats like saying, "Oh look your seals are leaking but the engine is running, therefore its not covered under warranty."

Good luck.

2003 SL AWD Black
#11 Old 01-17-2010, 06:46 PM
Super Senior Member

Re: 2006 Murano SL AWD Scheduled maintenance

Quote:
Originally posted by baseball4life
So, what do you guys know about this fuel sensor? Is this something any of you have had to deal with? After the dealership stated the gas tank has to come out in order for it to be replaced, I figured I'd wait till the sensor 'fails completely' or take it back for 'gap warranty' work when state inspection is due.
As far as I know this is the first time I've heard of a "failing" sensor. On another note; I believe your dealer is incorrect that the whole tank has to be removed. Please correct me (guys) if I'm wrong but I thought the sensor and the fuel pump is one unit that is accessed from under the rear seats?

Air Lift Rear Suspension
Thule Roof Rack system
Curt Hitch
180,000+ km
'07 Volvo XC90 V8 AWD
White
18" Crome Wheels
Curt Hitch
#12 Old 01-17-2010, 11:32 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Re: 2006 Murano SL AWD Scheduled maintenance

Quote:
Originally posted by BikerJohn

As far as I know this is the first time I've heard of a "failing" sensor. On another note; I believe your dealer is incorrect that the whole tank has to be removed. Please correct me (guys) if I'm wrong but I thought the sensor and the fuel pump is one unit that is accessed from under the rear seats?
Yes, you are correct. The sensor/fuel pump assembly is accessed from inside the MO by removing the rear seat cushion. There is no need to remove the tank.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM iPod interface
-Muth signal mirrors
#13 Old 01-17-2010, 11:50 PM
Super Moderator

baseball4life-

As you already know the fuel level sensor is part of the fuel pump assembly. That is why it is so expensive to replace.

However, I have a bit of good news for you. Nissan issued a service bulletin that instructs the dealer on how to replace just the fuel sensor. The service bulletin is NTB06-087. The fuel sensor should be a heck of a lot cheaper to replace than the entire assembly.

I suggest contacting your dealer, let them know about the service bulletin, and ask for a new quote. Then take the new quote and ask the GAP insurance guys if then can swallow the lesser amount.

With any luck they may just go for it.

I have a copy of the SB but it is too big (340KB) to post on this thread. If you PM me your email I will send it to you. Or you can get it yourself at www.nissanhelp.com.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM iPod interface
-Muth signal mirrors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: