Spark plugs replacement - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 06-01-2010, 09:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Spark plugs replacement

My wife FX35 has just turned 93,000 trouble free miles and I started thinking about spark plugs replacement. It is a fairly easy task that takes 30 – 45 minutes and I intend to do it myself. As the engine in FX is the same as in Murano I am looking for your advice here.

So far I shortlisted the following:
1. NGK PLFR5A-11 Laser Platinum (OEM) - $10 each.
2. NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs LFR5AIX-11 - $45 for set of six.
3. 4516 Bosch PlatinumIR Fusion Spark Plug - $6.16 each.

The Bosh is a new generation and has 4 electrodes. Then NGK served me well so far.
My question to you would be which one to choose and why? Given how long the spark plugs last the price is secondary.

had: 03 MO SL, Gold, 2WD, Premium, leather, sunroof, Mobil 1, B-Quiet, Garmin Nuvi 250W, Fumoto oil valve, HIR's in fogs
08 CTS 304 HP Direct Injection Engine. Fully loaded with every option except AWD
04 FX35, AWD, Touring loaded, Garmin Nuvi 3590LMT, Fumoto oil valve
Dream car: Ferrari Italia
------------------------------------------------

"It's not about how fast you go, it's about how you go fast" - Enzo Ferrari
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-01-2010, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Every Japanese car I've owned has run best with NGK plugs.

But look at it this way: the OEM plugs will go 100K miles without problems. What more do you need?

Put OEM plugs back in and be happy. An upgrade is not required.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
#3 Old 06-01-2010, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Hello there, Kris!

I recently read an article on the benefits (both actual and perceived) of multiple-electrode spark plugs.

Contrary to what some people believe, only a single spark is generated at any one time. (But I suspect you already knew that.) The advantage of the multiple-electrode design is that as one electrode wears the other electrode is available, and useful life theoretically doubles with a dual-electrode design and quadruples with the quad-design. (Yeah, I know, you knew that, too.)

Iridium is being touted as the latest and greatest improvement in spark plug technology. It is harder, stronger, and has a higher melting point than platinum, so the center electrode can be made smaller.

NGK lists the OEM plugs as a "Regular Class" plug, and the IX as a "Premium Class".

Now having said all that, I would opt for the IX. It is a "Premium" iridium plug for less money than the OEM "Regular" plug.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
#4 Old 06-01-2010, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I thought the intake manifold has to come off to replace the back (closest to the windshield) 3 plugs? Isn't this why plug replacement is a $400 (or close to it) job at the dealer?

I'm not even at 80K, so I know I'm good for a couple more years. But eventually - at 100K - like everyone else I'm going to have to address new plugs.
#5 Old 06-01-2010, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I would assume you guys know there is sticky on diy on plugs replacement. I too am getting ready for it. The most pita by far for me.
#6 Old 06-01-2010, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nafddur View Post
I thought the intake manifold has to come off to replace the back (closest to the windshield) 3 plugs? Isn't this why plug replacement is a $400 (or close to it) job at the dealer?

I'm not even at 80K, so I know I'm good for a couple more years. But eventually - at 100K - like everyone else I'm going to have to address new plugs.
Actually, the recommended replacement interval is 105,000 miles, so you can add a few months to you timetable.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
#7 Old 06-01-2010, 07:19 PM

Pilgrim,
Thank you for the information. I remember reading somewhere that only NGK plugs work on Nissan cars. You just confirmed it so NGK it will be.

Joe,
Good point. I am, along with “other things” an EE so I know once the gap is bridged, always by one electrode only, the others are useless. But marketing works. Especially in the USA – if one is good, two are better, imagine how good 4 are! Thank you Joe for the advice.

Anyway, I just ordered NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs LFR5AIX-11. Amazon had them for $45 for set of six. + $2.20 shipping and handling. Not bad

For those who asked for intake manifold etc. This is FX35 so the engine is longitudinal, or North-South. Access to spark plugs is much easier.

It is hard to believe but the FX35 is the first car I have ever owned that will need spark plugs replacement! I guess IU never kept them that long….

had: 03 MO SL, Gold, 2WD, Premium, leather, sunroof, Mobil 1, B-Quiet, Garmin Nuvi 250W, Fumoto oil valve, HIR's in fogs
08 CTS 304 HP Direct Injection Engine. Fully loaded with every option except AWD

#8 Old 06-01-2010, 10:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
In the 70's Datsun 240Z series, you could just about tell the mileage by the spark plugs. At 10K miles they started to miss. But it was a snap to replace them - took maybe 20 minutes. The ONLY plugs that would run right in them were NGK.

My, how things have changed.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
#9 Old 06-12-2010, 12:07 PM

Replaced the spark plugs today. It took me 1hr 20min not rushing (I did had 15 min break for cold beer, is blood hot today ). The work was not that difficult. Anyway, I thought you guys deserve a feedback. The FX has 93,750 miles on the odo and the photo shows how the old spark plug looks like. It is not visible on the photo but the old plugs had at least 30% - 40% larger gap, from usage I would assume. Can wait to see it the new plugs have any effect on the performance and fuel economy.

While under the hood I also checked the throttle body. Very clean! It leads me to believe that all the cleaning recommended by dealers is purely scam.

Back to spark plugs - I would recommend anyone's Murano approaches 100,000 miles get new plugs. Based on my experience.

Enjoy weekend!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SP2.jpg
Views:	1156
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	15783  

#10 Old 06-12-2010, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
Replaced the spark plugs today. It took me 1hr 20min not rushing
If it took this long with a longitudinally mounted engine, I can only imagine how long plug replacement takes on our Muranos. In spite of the $400+ they get, it still looks like a dealer job to me (when it's 1st needed on my 04 in a couple more years).

Fortunately, it's something most of us will only have to have done a couple times - first at 105K and then at 210K.
#11 Old 06-12-2010, 04:10 PM

nafddur

The FX engine bay is quite large as it has to accomodate V8 engines hence in my case there was quite an easy access to the spark pligs. I could have done it in 50 min or so but I was extra careful. All I had to do was to remove wire harnesses, vacuum hoses and has hose. Still it was quite an undertaking.

I cannot imagine doing this on the Murano. Still I would recommend changing spark plugs before 100,000 miles. Dealer or not. And yes $400 for change is not that expensive given how it is done on the Murano.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: