30,000 mile maintenance – Budget is tight, asking for suggestions - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 08-04-2010, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question 30,000 mile maintenance – Budget is tight, asking for suggestions

I have a 2008 Nissan Altima (I know this is a Murano forum, I hope posting here is ok) with around 27k miles and I purchased it around 23 months ago. It is our first new car and we want to take proper care of it, which we do. I called the dealer (the only one in the area where I live) and they said it would be “around” 600 dollars for the 30k service. For me to come up with $600 dollars right now it would be really rough and it would mean sacrificing a lot. A lot of stuff for my kids as far as back to school stuff, stuff they need for sports, etc, etc. Money is really tight right now. We need to watch every penny.

Below are the items in the maintenance log to be done at 30,000 miles and I have added my comments below each of them. I have also uploaded a scan of it to here: http://webpages.marshall.edu/~deutschl/scan.jpg

I am trying to figure out what really needs to be done and what is a fair price.

• Replace engine oil and filter
    I already do this myself
  • Lubricate all locks/hinges
    Is this really necessary?

• Replace automatic transmission/CVT fluid
    I can see this being needed, but does really need to be done at 30k miles?

• Replace differential oil
    Again, I can see this being needed, but at 30k?

• Replace engine air filter
    I do this myself

• Replace engine coolant/flush system
    I though coolant in new cars lasted a lot longer then this
    Think I can purchase a kit and do this myself?

• Replace engine drive belts
    This seems a bit overkill, maybe have them inspected but not replaced?

• Replace in-cabin microfilter
    I can do this myself, its kind of a pain, but not to bad

• Replace radiator cap
    Again, seems unnecessary, maybe inspect, but not replace (unless needed)

• Replace transfer case oil (4WD/AWD)
    Does not apply to me
  • Replace wiper blades
    Seems foolish to have the dealer do this

• Rotate tires
    I already take care of this

• Optional: flush automatic transmission (flush with ATF)
    Seems unnecessary

• Inspect the following
    All lights
    eCVT fluid (HEV)
    Brake lines & cables
    Brake pads, rotors, drums & linings
    Cruise control vacuum hoses
    Drive shaft boots
    Exhaust system
    Front suspension ball joints
    Fuel lines/connections
    Fuel tank vapor vent system hoses
    Headlights/adjust if necessary
    Propeller shaft (4WD/AWD)
    Steering gear and linkage
    Steering linkage ball joints
I am a little bit surprised that the fuel filter is not listed anywhere there.

Also we did purchase the Nissan Security Guard Plus Gold Preferred (84 months, 100,000 miles, zero deductible). I was looking at what it covered and I noticed that both the drive belt and radiator cap covered, so would I need to pay for these?
Here is the link: http://www.nissanextendedwarranty.com/docs/NissanWarrantyComponentCoverageChart.pdf

The guy at the dealer always seems in a rush and honestly doesn’t seem to care if I take my money somewhere else; I figured I would get more honest answers posting here. It seems silly to replace the radiator cap and drive belt at 30k miles if they still both look fine?

At any rate I am just looking for some help in trying to decide what to get serviced and what is a fair price.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-04-2010, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum.

There is nothing out-of-the-ordinary required at 30,000 miles. Just change your oil and oil filter at the next service interval, and replace the air filters (engine & cabin) when they look like they need to be changed. That's it. Nothing else needs to be done. You can do all that for less than $100.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
#3 Old 08-04-2010, 03:40 PM

njjoe,

Wow, thanks for the super fast reply.

I can't find a clear answer for when the transmission fluid needs changed and the rear differential fluid. I have searched forums and googled it but do not find a consistent answer. I do not see anything about it really in the owners manual. Also do you think I should have the dealer do all those inpestions mentioned?
#4 Old 08-04-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmark1867 View Post
Also do you think I should have the dealer do all those inpestions mentioned?
Having the dealer do your maintenance will ALWAYS be more expensive than having a reputable local shop do it. If you are looking to save money, I highly suggest calling a few shops in your area (and even the dealer) to compare prices for the work the njjoe suggested. And also search the web for coupons...you never know if a local place is having a sale on an oil & filter change.

2007 SL AWD
-------------
Black on Black
#5 Old 08-04-2010, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmark1867 View Post
njjoe,

Wow, thanks for the super fast reply.

I can't find a clear answer for when the transmission fluid needs changed and the rear differential fluid. I have searched forums and googled it but do not find a consistent answer. I do not see anything about it really in the owners manual. Also do you think I should have the dealer do all those inpestions mentioned?
According to the Nissan Murano Service Manual the CVT fluid does not even need to be checked until 60,000 miles, so you are fine.

If you are driving an Altima then you do not have a rear differential, so, once again, you are fine.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM iPod interface
-Muth signal mirrors
#6 Old 08-04-2010, 07:16 PM

You may also find more Altima specific info on this forum: Nissan Forums: Nissan Enthusiast Forum

2010 Murano LE w/ AWD, Navigation, Weathertech Floorliners, LED DRLs, SportWing Side Moldings, VG Sharkfin Antenna, Cloud Rider Mesh Grill, NON-beeping liftgate
#7 Old 08-04-2010, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
This past spring, just before taking a trip from MA to VA in my 04 Murano (with 75K miles) I asked my local Nissan service manager about about checking - or possibly even changing - my CVT/transfer case/rear diff fluids. He just laughed.

The only dealer service I have had done to date was an antifreeze change and accessory belt replacement - all for just under $200 and at a little over 60K miles. You're Altima should need no more than this as well, and also at 60K.

A 30K checkup for $600 on ANY Nissan (well, maybe on a GTR it would be needed) is insane. Your dealer should be ashamed trying to shake customers down like that.

When you see `replace radiator cap' on a dealer service list, you should RUN, not walk, as fast as you can to another dealer. I'm still on the original radiator cap on my 95 Maxima - going on 16 years old and with 213K miles.

Aren't you glad we just saved you $600?
#8 Old 08-05-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafddur View Post

A 30K checkup for $600 on ANY Nissan (well, maybe on a GTR it would be needed) is insane. Your dealer should be ashamed trying to shake customers down like that.

When you see `replace radiator cap' on a dealer service list, you should RUN, not walk, as fast as you can to another dealer. I'm still on the original radiator cap on my 95 Maxima - going on 16 years old and with 213K miles.

Aren't you glad we just saved you $600?
#9 Old 08-05-2010, 04:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
I was going to chime in but it won't be necessary. There is nothing in your list that needs replacement now. Just change engine oil and filter and check CVT fluid level to ensure you detect any leaks. Then take the $600 and spend it on your kids!

2004 SL AWD - Super Black - Leather Package (Café latte) - Tow Package - Floor Mats - Splash Guards - Cargo Area Protector - Rear Bumper Protector - Front Window Tint - Dawn Color Matched Body Side Molding – Day Time Running Lights - PAC-NIS1 Aux Audio input - Pressure Pro TPMS and Anti Theft Sensor Locks - 7" Xenarc VGA Touchscreen - Compaq EVO e-PC 2.0 GHz Pentium 4 Carputer with 120GB HD, DSATX PSU / Shutdown Controller, Road Runner Front End, iGuidance 3.0 Navigation, DVD player, Internet access, XM satellite radio, Deluo GPS receiver, Linksys WiFi Antenna, TERK XM antenna - Tweeter 22uF CAP mod - Magnetbra - Custom Backup Camera - Aries Polished Stainless Steel Sidestep (nerf) Bars - Euro-Tech Nudge Bar - Homemade Lower Grill Cover - Auxiliary Projection Fog Lamps - Aluminum Fuel Tank Shields - Wade Window Deflectors - Nissan Sunroof Deflector - Scosche UBRH Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit
#10 Old 08-05-2010, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

Nissan dealerships must hate this forum.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM iPod interface
-Muth signal mirrors
#11 Old 08-05-2010, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by njjoe View Post
Nissan dealerships must hate this forum.

-njjoe
Does anyone know if Nissan (specifically, Nissan dealers) ever give credence to forums such as this one?

And let me reiterate that I have had (overall) very good experiences with the service dept. at my local dealer (Sullivan Brothers in Kingston, MA) during the 20 years that I have been using them. Sure there has been the occasional problem that they have bogarted knowledge that they knew it even existed - until the appropriate TSB was cited, of course. But those instances have been rare.

More importantly, I have received prompt and reasonably priced services the few times I have needed them. And I have yet to be presented one single, bogus 30K or 60K maintenance reminder - the type that so many here seem to be routinely getting from their local dealers. I've even taken advantage of a few of those free, muti-point checkups over the years, and have yet to get a single report of work needed that I knew was not warranted.

So, again to repeat something I've stated here before, not all Nissan service departments are bad (or crooks).
#12 Old 08-05-2010, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafddur View Post
Does anyone know if Nissan (specifically, Nissan dealers) ever give credence to forums such as this one?
That's a very good question.

If I owned or managed an automobile dealership I would assign someone part-time to monitor the top forum to better understand what the marketplace is thinking. It is like having free access to a comprehensive marketing survey.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM iPod interface
-Muth signal mirrors
#13 Old 08-05-2010, 08:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by njjoe View Post
If I owned or managed an automobile dealership I would assign someone part-time to monitor the top forum to better understand what the marketplace is thinking. It is like having free access to a comprehensive marketing survey.
Come on now, really....what do you take these dealers to be? Brain surgeons?

2004 SL AWD - Super Black - Leather Package (Café latte) - Tow Package - Floor Mats - Splash Guards - Cargo Area Protector - Rear Bumper Protector - Front Window Tint - Dawn Color Matched Body Side Molding – Day Time Running Lights - PAC-NIS1 Aux Audio input - Pressure Pro TPMS and Anti Theft Sensor Locks - 7" Xenarc VGA Touchscreen - Compaq EVO e-PC 2.0 GHz Pentium 4 Carputer with 120GB HD, DSATX PSU / Shutdown Controller, Road Runner Front End, iGuidance 3.0 Navigation, DVD player, Internet access, XM satellite radio, Deluo GPS receiver, Linksys WiFi Antenna, TERK XM antenna - Tweeter 22uF CAP mod - Magnetbra - Custom Backup Camera - Aries Polished Stainless Steel Sidestep (nerf) Bars - Euro-Tech Nudge Bar - Homemade Lower Grill Cover - Auxiliary Projection Fog Lamps - Aluminum Fuel Tank Shields - Wade Window Deflectors - Nissan Sunroof Deflector - Scosche UBRH Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit
#14 Old 08-12-2010, 04:33 PM

Thumbs up I just wanted to thank everyone for there input.

Thanks to you guys, you have put my mind at ease about not having to spend $600, that I really do not have right now

This forum really helped me, I don not have a lot of money and it is frustrating how these dealerships can sometimes corner people into spending money they really don't need to. I guess that it happens all the time, unfortunately.

Thanks again!
#15 Old 09-18-2010, 11:00 PM

My Nissan dealership wanted $675 plus taxes.
I ended up getting Sears Auto do an oil change in oil filter, engine air filter, oil cleaning system, engine fuel treatment, brake evaluation for $122 Inc taxes. They didn't do a transmission fluid check ie change as it's a CVT... Anything else I need or should do?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: