Fuel Level Sending Unit - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 12-05-2010, 07:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Fuel Level Sending Unit

Hey guys, I just recently replaced the fuel level sending unit on my 06' Mo and took pics of the process to help anybody having the same issues. It's pretty straightforward and only took a couple hours. The Mo has two sending units in it on each side of the tank. I only had the main unit go bad, but I cleaned the second unit while I was at it.

SENDER UNIT-FUEL GAUGE - Murano (Z50) 2003+ :: Nissan Parts, NISMO and Nissan Accessories - Courtesyparts.com
This is the replacement unit I used, $81

I also bought two new seals from my local Nissan dealer which were $13 each.

So for about $110 and a couple hours I did what my mechanic quoted at approximately $400!

When you lift up the rear seat this is the plate covering the unit
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00180.jpg
Views:	2158
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	16285  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-05-2010, 07:11 PM

Disconnect these lines before removing the fuel tank lock ring. The line on the left is a fuel line, and unless you bleed the lines prior to removal you will have some fuel spray.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00181.jpg
Views:	2121
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	16286  
#3 Old 12-05-2010, 07:29 PM

After the lines are disconnected you'll have to use a Fuel Tank Lock Wrench to remove those lock rings, which are a pain! Forum member KERSHAW was nice enough to let me borrow the one he fabricated, known as "The Beast". You can buy these wrenches but they're pretty expensive.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00184.jpg
Views:	2116
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	16287  
#4 Old 12-05-2010, 07:46 PM

After you get the lock rings off, you'll be able to pull out the Fuel Pump assembly. The Sending Unit is attached to the side of the pump. This is for the main sending unit only, which is located on the driver side of the Mo. If your tank isn't completely empty make sure you have some towels handy because there will be fuel running out of the pump when you pull it out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00185.jpg
Views:	1835
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	16288  
#5 Old 12-05-2010, 07:53 PM

The sending unit is easily replaced, just make sure all the connections are made before reassembly. Mine was in need of some TLC. KERSHAW suggested that cleaning the sender would probably fix any problems with the unit. Since I had already purchased a new one I went ahead and replaced it. I cleaned the second unit good after replacing the first one.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00187.jpg
Views:	4196
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	16289  
#6 Old 12-05-2010, 08:06 PM

This is what the passenger side fuel sending unit assembly looks like. It's much easier to deal with than the main assembly.

Reassembly is just the opposite of disassembly. I had to fight with the fuel tank lock rings when putting them back on, but I guess that's to be expected if you want a good seal.

So far the fuel gauge seems to be working as it should, hopefully it continues to do so!!

Oh, and don't smoke while playing in the fuel tank!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00188.jpg
Views:	1351
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	16290  
#7 Old 12-05-2010, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Excellent! Thanks for the write-up and photos!

And kudos to KERSHAW for being a stand-up guy and sharing his homemade tool. Way to go!

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
#8 Old 12-05-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njjoe View Post
And kudos to KERSHAW for being a stand-up guy and sharing his homemade tool. Way to go!

-njjoe
Yeah KERSHAW was on point! Those rings were a pain WITH the wrench, so I can only imagine what it would be like without them
#9 Old 11-08-2011, 05:21 PM

Let me get this straight.... under the back seat, there is an access panel allowing you to get to the fuel pump in the top of the fuel tank, so you do NOT have to drop the fuel tank to do this repair? I know some cars had this, but I didn't think anyone did this anymore. This is on a 2006 Murano?
#10 Old 02-23-2012, 03:00 PM

I had the P0463 error code also and last weekend cleaned the sensors myself. The SES light went off for 2 days and just now came back. The passenger side unit was very easy to get into and close back up. The driver side was absolutely horrible to get back into place. I had to bend the lock ring to get it back on.

I really would rather not open the driver side one up again. My question is how did you know it was the main unit only that went bad? I cleaned the main unit sensor really really good, but I might not have cleaned the passenger side sensor as good so im hoping it is that side.
#11 Old 02-23-2012, 03:19 PM

Well, in my case, I did NOT know which sending unit it was.
Ultimately, a dealership replaced BOTH sending units under warranty, and that fixed the problem. There was no issue with the wiring harness or anything else (which the first repair place I took it to tried to tell me, so I got rid of them).

And just for the record, when I got the car back from the dealership the first time, the whole inside of the car smelled of gas. The smell didn't go away after several days, and the SES light came on again. They took it back, claimed there was nothing wrong, and said that the SES light may have come on from an "old code". It's amazing how these guys talk to customers like they are idiots. I cleared the codes myself with a scanner before I took it in, and an "old code" wouldn't just pop up after one day of driving unless there was another failure.

Anyway, they agreed to look at it again. I got it back the second time, and the smell was gone, and there have been no SES codes ever since. Most likely, they screwed it up the first time, didn't want to admit it, so they fixed it the second time without telling me. (From the smell, I'd say they didn't put the fuel locking ring and gasket back in correctly, or maybe never actually changed one of the sensors the first time... I'll never know).
#12 Old 02-23-2012, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacinko View Post
I had the P0463 error code also and last weekend cleaned the sensors myself. The SES light went off for 2 days and just now came back. The passenger side unit was very easy to get into and close back up. The driver side was absolutely horrible to get back into place. I had to bend the lock ring to get it back on.

I really would rather not open the driver side one up again. My question is how did you know it was the main unit only that went bad? I cleaned the main unit sensor really really good, but I might not have cleaned the passenger side sensor as good so im hoping it is that side.
Pacinko-

I checked the Service Manual, but unfortunately it does not differentiate between the right and left fuel pumps with regards to the 0460-0463 error codes. That is a glaring omission, but it is what it is. Sorry.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM iPod interface
-Muth signal mirrors
#13 Old 02-23-2012, 03:50 PM

Bummer....I am going to have to make sure it hasnt loosened or opened up when I get home tonight because I have had a gas odor in the car since the weekend.

Sounds like I might have open it up again this weekend and see if I can clean them better. If that doesn't work, I will have to buy another sensor unit I guess. I am assuming it is probably the main unit on the fuel pump, just my luck....The hammer and chisel method on that main lock ring is incredibly difficult and frustrating, even with me and another guy together.
#14 Old 02-23-2012, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator

P-

Another member just posted that he was selling the tool used to remove the locking ring. Here's the thread: fuel gauge

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM iPod interface
-Muth signal mirrors
#15 Old 08-22-2012, 06:52 PM