User Tag List

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 35 Old 02-17-2012, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Battery replacement

Hi Guys, I'm new on your forum, I live in France and I have à fancy Murano, 2005 model (Z50). Wondfull SUV despite benzin consumption considering that in France unleaded si almost 1,70€/ liter

Anyway the battery appears to be weaker and weaker every months (we don't use it a lot) so I was wondering about charging it or replacing it. Before replacement I think that I can try to charge it once and look if it keeps the charge.
Can I remove the battery without special process or is there a risk to do it? Can I leave the car without battery for 24 hours without damages or special process to do to "reset" the systems ?
Many thanks for your help, sorry for my english,

Olivier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 02-17-2012, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
As long as you change it and get the new one in place in a few minuets (it shouldn't take more than 5-10 minutes between connections) you won't have a problem. If memory serves, having the battery disconnected for an hour requires some systems to be reset. I just made sure to do it quickly and I avoided all that.

After all, how long does it take to change a battery???? Remove the hold-down clamps, disconnect cables - lift out. Drop in new battery, re-connect cables. Then install the hold-down clamps.

I doubt if my battery disconnection lasted more than 2 minutes.
Barbi likes this.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #3 of 35 Old 02-17-2012, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, so If I wish to charge the current one (old battery) I have to keep my Murano plugged to another battery since it should take a few hours.
post #4 of 35 Old 02-17-2012, 10:07 PM

WHY????

Go get a battery.

Sit it next to the car.

Take old battery out.

Put new battery in.

Return old battery as core exchange.

This is not a big deal.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #5 of 35 Old 02-19-2012, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
Thanks, so If I wish to charge the current one (old battery) I have to keep my Murano plugged to another battery since it should take a few hours.
I'm fairly certain that charging your old battery with a battery charger won't help the situation, it's constantly being charged by the alternator and discharged by the engine, which eventually causes batteries to lose their charge. Just get a new one.
post #6 of 35 Old 02-19-2012, 08:26 AM

Is it the original battery? If so, replace it! 7 years is a very good lifespan for a battery IMHO

2010 Murano LE w/ AWD, Navigation, Weathertech Floorliners, LED DRLs, SportWing Side Moldings, VG Sharkfin Antenna, Cloud Rider Mesh Grill, NON-beeping liftgate
post #7 of 35 Old 02-19-2012, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
I usually replace a battery at 4 - 5 years even if it seem like it's working well, For less than $100 US, it's cheap insurance.
post #8 of 35 Old 02-21-2012, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Thank you all for your advices, I don't drive it a lot that's mainly why I have some battery problems (company car as a daily driver). I have a few old cars and this battery problem is quite reccurent as well and usually a slow and long charge is ok for months, that's why I'm curious to try it. Does somebody already tried ?
post #9 of 35 Old 02-21-2012, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Bonjour!.

The Murano constantly draws power from the battery to maintain the memory in the various control units. That is why the battery will die if the MO is left parked for an extended period of time.

Completely discharging a lead-acid car battery will shorten it's life. If you plan on storing the MO for more than a week or so I would recommend keeping the battery on an automatic float/trickle charger.

Au revoir.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
post #10 of 35 Old 02-21-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njjoe View Post
Completely discharging a lead-acid car battery will shorten it's life. If you plan on storing the MO for more than a week or so I would recommend keeping the battery on an automatic float/trickle charger.

Au revoir.

-njjoe
I agree. Trickle chargers are inexpensive and available at every auto parts store.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #11 of 35 Old 02-22-2012, 04:09 AM Thread Starter

Thank you, this is exactly what I need ;-)
post #12 of 35 Old 02-23-2012, 05:05 AM Thread Starter

I've just bought the Bosch C3, unfortunately pour weather today in France and my garage is full. Anyway it will be also usueful for my "old ladies" :-)
post #13 of 35 Old 02-28-2012, 08:39 PM
Red

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Olivier, I do not know the 2005 Murano but can tell you that the 2009 survives a dead battery for 24 hours, which would be the same as removing a battery, without any problem.

A conventional wet lead acid battery usually lasts about 4 years in a car that is used regularly. If you are not using the car at least every month, you will damage the battery. Wet acid batteries suplhate from self-discharge, even if there is nothing connected to them, and this damage is irreversible. If you let them stand 30 days without recharging, they start to take damage and it is cumulative.

So if you have a collection of cars, either you need to start and run them all each month, or remove the batteries, or put them on some type of trickle charger to prevent this damage from happening.

If you replace the wet lead battery with an AGM type battery, those can typically go 3-6 months without damage from standing--but if the car is draining them, they can still be run down and damaged from that. And all modern cars use the battery, even when everything is off. You would still need to disconnect the battery to prevent that.

In my limited knowledge the only thing tha has to be reset after a battery is removed, are the stations on the radio, and the clock. You may lose trouble codes in the computer, or maintenance reminders, but that should not interfere with operation of the vehicle.

Red
Barbi likes this.
post #14 of 35 Old 02-28-2012, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Olivier, I do not know the 2005 Murano but can tell you that the 2009 survives a dead battery for 24 hours, which would be the same as removing a battery, without any problem.

A conventional wet lead acid battery usually lasts about 4 years in a car that is used regularly. If you are not using the car at least every month, you will damage the battery. Wet acid batteries suplhate from self-discharge, even if there is nothing connected to them, and this damage is irreversible. If you let them stand 30 days without recharging, they start to take damage and it is cumulative.

So if you have a collection of cars, either you need to start and run them all each month, or remove the batteries, or put them on some type of trickle charger to prevent this damage from happening.

If you replace the wet lead battery with an AGM type battery, those can typically go 3-6 months without damage from standing--but if the car is draining them, they can still be run down and damaged from that. And all modern cars use the battery, even when everything is off. You would still need to disconnect the battery to prevent that.

In my limited knowledge the only thing tha has to be reset after a battery is removed, are the stations on the radio, and the clock. You may lose trouble codes in the computer, or maintenance reminders, but that should not interfere with operation of the vehicle.

Red

Unfortunately, some misinformation in this post. Disconnecting the battery on todays fly by wire vehicles (the Murano for example) for more then a few minutes can cause you some headaches. Take a moment to do some internet research on this topic. You could start here.. Issues when you disconnect battery/Prevention

eeeee
post #15 of 35 Old 02-28-2012, 09:29 PM
Red

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Bill, the only thing that linked thread says for certain is that you will lose the "learned idle" information. Searching the internet for a wide topic like that...I'd expect a lot of disinformation and guesses, and few specifics to come back.

I don't doubt you, I'd just like to hear some specifics about loss or damage, beyond "The car will forget what idle speed to use" or however that translates. Since it is the memory of a LEARNED VALUE, the car should be able to relearn and restore that value in a fairly short time, no?

In my case the battery went dead, the classic accidental dome light being left on. Stone dead, wouldn't even click the next day. But once jumped--no issues at all.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: