User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 04-14-2012, 03:45 PM
Red

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2009 Murano: Brake Fluid?

Does Nissan have a replacement schedule for their stock brake fluid? I haven't come across one but it seems different manufacturers claim their DOT3 fluids either need replacement every two years or are "lifetime" products.

I'm thinking it is time to replace the original fluid as PM, and maybe upgrade it to DOT4 or DOT5.1 while I'm at it. Or is that known to cause problems in the ABS system?

Anyone know what the system capacity is for a complete flush?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-14-2012, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
DO NOT upgrade to DOT 5. It is not used in vehicles with antilock brakes, as its boiling point is lower than that of DOT 4. It is a silicone-based fluid which is good for classic cars and vehicles which are stored for long periods, but it's not for anything with antilock brakes. The antilock systems run much hotter.

Just use DOT 4, which has a higher boiling point than DOT 3. And yes, the brake fluid in all vehicles should be changed every 2-3 years or so, as it draws moisture which can rust the calipers or other parts of the brake system.

Here is a very helpful explanation: DOT 3, DOT 4, and DOT 5 | JIM'S GARAGE. It mentions DOT 5.1 in passing but doesn't explain it.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
#3 Old 04-14-2012, 05:30 PM
Red

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Pilgrim-
I specifically mentioned 5.1, not DOT 5.

I have run DOT5 in my other car for over 25 years now, going back to when you couldn't buy it from the retail chains. You could say I'm familiar with the product.<G>

No intention of flushing and converting the Murano for DOT5, I don't plan to keep it that long.

While DOT4 has a higher boiling spec than DOT3, there are a number of brand name products that simply say "exceeds DOT 3 and DOT4" and apparently quite a lot of variation in the products. Shell alone makes about 5 "DOT4" products, only recommends one low viscosity product for ABS systems out of the whole lot.

Which is one reason I'm enquiring. The manuals say very little and ABS apparently has its own requirements.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: