1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #31 of 72 Old 02-10-2013, 02:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustmaker View Post
That sounds like a great price to me. I did the repair in the garage, and it took me much longer than that. It cost me about $90 total I think. It just depends on how valuable your time is.

As a side note, the initial post in this thread is damn confusing. The only instance I needed a hammer is when I used a rubber mallet and a 2x4 to gently release the outer LCA bolt under/behind the steering knuckle. sheesh.
Thanks for the reply dustmaker. I totally forgot about my post and now just reading your reply. I still haven't had it repaired yet though, is it something I should do before something bad happens? I'm guessing since nothing major has happened since 2011 I suppose not but still. I just crossed the 100,000 mile mark as well so I know it's time for coolant flushing, spark plug changing etc. Btw is that "mr. sinister" as your avatar? I take it your an x-men fan as well then
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 72 Old 02-23-2013, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I will be doing this soon as I have the knocking when wheel is being turned, more noticeable when turned to left. I just have a few questions:

-How do you diagnose which side needs the replacing, or should both sides just get replaced at this point?
-Do you need an alignment once complete since we are touching tie rods?
-Anything special/different for AWD procedure?

05, 120k miles. Thanks!
post #33 of 72 Old 02-28-2013, 12:14 PM

Bueller?

Would appreciate any other advice on the topic.

Thanks!

post #34 of 72 Old 10-19-2013, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuacherup View Post
Hey everyone I'm hoping you guys can help me. I recently pulled the passengers side CV Axle out of my wife's 2007 Nissan Murano S AWD and I ran into the problem of purchasing the wrong part, or so it seems. I've contacted every parts store I can think of and apparently no one carries the part I need.

If you look at the picture that I have posted the old shaft is on top and the one that I have purchased is on the bottom. This is the part of the shaft that goes into the transfer case/gear box whatever.

I'm not able to find an exact match anywhere. But from what I've been reading it sounds like, and bear with me I'm not very smart, that this part of the shaft can be removed as it is a separate shaft. Is this the case? If someone could explain to me if this is true and how to do it I will buy you ice cream. Thanks. Hopefully that makes sense.
Hi, I am in the exact same situation as joshuacherup, just wondering if anyone has confirmed that this is the right or wrong part. I check on the manufacturers website and they confirmed that according to them it is the correct part for my vin, which is a 2007 AWD murano. The axle assembly's are almost identical except when it comes to the side axle. I believe nitely stated that the awd's did not bolt up to a bearing bracket support but I can confirm that in the 2007 AWD they do bolt up. The difference is the design of the shaft itself length is the same but the original part has a couple of extra tapered areas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	2627
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	20602  
post #35 of 72 Old 10-19-2013, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Tuxie,

Looks like the axle on top is the original and the one at the bottom is the replacement. It looks like that replacement is for a FWD and not for AWD. I would not force it. What brand is this aftermarket? I think some folks retains the original shaft that goes into the TC/CVT up to the support bracket, and then connect the new one from that end out to the wheel. You basically remove the CV joint from the shaft at the support bracket area. See pic on link of my previeous post. Before you do this, measure that the lenght of original and replacement from the wheel end to the support bracket--they have to be the same. But I really think that CV axle is for a FWD.
post #36 of 72 Old 10-20-2013, 01:04 AM

Thanks nitely for getting back to me, as much as I hoped you were wrong I think your right, so do you think it's possible to push that side shaft out of the bearing housing and replace with the original, I am just about to check out your previous link so if the answer is in there don't worry about responding.
post #37 of 72 Old 10-20-2013, 07:38 AM

As I look at it again, I don't think that FWD right hand side axle replacement you have can be separated like the AWD one. Don't bother, its assembled differently. Return it and get the correct one. Seen in the link pix. You then continue to separate your original axle from bearing support. You will end up with the same axle as the link pix when you separate your original inner shaft from the CV shaft. There is a circ clip that locks it in. You need to give it a good jerk by wedging something- (pry bar) in betwen the CV housing and the bearing support. When installing the new one in, you need to line it up straight and give and few solid hammering from the axle wheel end until the circ clip locks in. Good luck.
post #38 of 72 Old 01-18-2014, 10:59 PM

Any tips on getting the ball joint nut/bolt loose? I broke one socket extension. I put a beefier one on with a breaker bar and a 3 ft cheater pipe and it's not busting loose. I put some PB blaster on it already. I don't have a 17mm impact socket, so unless I go buy/borrow one tomorrow, that's not an option.

2005 Murano SL, Glacier Pearl - (Curt hitch /w Nissan wiring harness, Optima Yellow Top)
post #39 of 72 Old 01-18-2014, 11:14 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoman View Post
Any tips on getting the ball joint nut/bolt loose? I broke one socket extension. I put a beefier one on with a breaker bar and a 3 ft cheater pipe and it's not busting loose. I put some PB blaster on it already. I don't have a 17mm impact socket, so unless I go buy/borrow one tomorrow, that's not an option.
If possible go to Home Depot and buy a cordless electrical impact gun. Use it to get the bolt but off and then return it. This is what I did when I replaced the lower control arms on my Murano.
post #40 of 72 Old 01-18-2014, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005_Murano_S View Post
If possible go to Home Depot and buy a cordless electrical impact gun. Use it to get the bolt but off and then return it. This is what I did when I replaced the lower control arms on my Murano.
I have a pneumatic impact gun and a decent compressor. I just don't have the right socket for it. I guess that's the next step... I've had to buy a bunch of tools for this job already.

2005 Murano SL, Glacier Pearl - (Curt hitch /w Nissan wiring harness, Optima Yellow Top)
post #41 of 72 Old 01-19-2014, 04:09 PM

Got the impact sockets this morning and got the ball joint nut & bolt off and the 3 bolts holding the axle to the hub, but I'm unsure how to get the ball joint apart.

Can somebody describe where the 3 bolts are on the LCA so that I can separate the ball joint that way instead of using a puller?

post #42 of 72 Old 01-19-2014, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
There are some discussions of ball joint replacement here.

Here's page 2 of a 3-page discussion including pictures!
Front Lower Ball Joint Replacement

2008 BMW E91 328xi Sportwagon
2009 BMW E92 328ix Coupe
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1983 280ZX Turbo
post #43 of 72 Old 01-19-2014, 11:26 PM

You need a press to remove and reinstall a new ball joint on the LCA. There is a diy. or change the entire LCA and no need to get a ball joint. Good idea if the LCA bushings are close to needing service. Good luck.

Sorry, if you are just separating the ball joint/LCA off the knuckle and you have the bolts out, just use a piece of wood and hammer and pound down the LCA closes to the ball joint and it should slide down.
post #44 of 72 Old 04-29-2014, 05:40 PM

Garage
How do you separate the cv axle from the carrier bearing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitely View Post
You need a press to remove and reinstall a new ball joint on the LCA. There is a diy. or change the entire LCA and no need to get a ball joint. Good idea if the LCA bushings are close to needing service. Good luck.

Sorry, if you are just separating the ball joint/LCA off the knuckle and you have the bolts out, just use a piece of wood and hammer and pound down the LCA closes to the ball joint and it should slide down.
post #45 of 72 Old 04-29-2014, 05:41 PM

Garage
How do you separate the cv axle from the carrier bearing?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: