User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 04-21-2012, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
CV Axle Replacement (With Pictures)

I have been looking at this site for awhile and it allowed me to gain a lot of knowledge to save some $$$. Thought I'd share my experience. Recently had my 06 Murano (2WD) at the dealer for warranty repairs of lower control arms. Passenger side inner CV boot was also torn and grease is ALL over the bottom of the car. Dealer wanted $500 to replace the CV Boot only as it was not covered under warranty (I told him to shove it.) I figured I would just do it myself and below is my experience.

I decided to replace the entire axle since I was going to have to pull it out anyway. I got a remanufactured axle from a local autopart store for $73. I could have gotten one online for $44 but did not have time to wait for shipping.

First, jack up the car and remove the wheel. I then sprayed all of the bolts and nuts I would be removing with PB Blaster. I live in Texas and corrosion is not much of an issue but figured I would make it as easy on myself as possible. I let that sit for abut 15 minutes while I had breakfast.

I started by removing the cotter pins from the outer tie rod and axle nuts. Then I removed the bolt for the wheel sensor and removed the sensor from the hub. Be careful with sensor as it is made of plastic and damages easily (and it is not cheap!). I then removed the axle nut with a 32mm socket and my impact wrench. I then removed the nut from the end of the outer tie rod. You then have to separate the outer tie rod from the steering knuckle. Be careful not to damage the bushing on the tie rod (like I did with my handy pickle fork!, gonna have to replace that next weekend). Then remove the Nut and remove the bolt which holds the ball joint in the Hub housing.

Next, you have to separate the ball joint from the hub assembly. This was a PITA big time. I used a ball joint separator, and guess what, I damaged the bushing on the ball joint as well! Then, you may have to drive the axle back through the Hub using a sledge. Be sure to thread the axle nut back flush onto the threads before hitting it. If you do not, the threads will mushroom and the axle will be useless (even as a core). After that, there are only 3 bolts (and some rust) holding the CV axle in place. They are located just behind the inner CV boot and hold the axle to the frame. Once they are removed, the only thing holding the axle in place is rust. Luckily, mine came out pretty easy. Be careful when removing the axle not to damage the seal which goes into the transmission. Nissan recommends you replace this seal, although, I did not. Once the old axle is out, be sure to swap the dust cover off the old axle onto the new one (If your axle did not come with one). Assembly is the reverse of the steps above. The job took me about 3 hours from start to finish. Hope this may help somebody out who needs to do the same thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0807.jpg
Views:	3580
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	17245   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0809.jpg
Views:	2535
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	17246   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0811.jpg
Views:	2421
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	17247   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0815.jpg
Views:	2561
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	17248   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0819.jpg
Views:	2642
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	17249  

Name:	IMG_0823.jpg
Views:	2463
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	17250   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0826.jpg
Views:	2665
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	17251  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-21-2012, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I'm glad that you were able to change your own axle. Here is a little tip in taking out the ball joints...
Should eliminate any damge to the boot next time. Using the pickel fork or seperator will always tear out the boot. If you're replacing an old one then its ok but with a new one its a no no. With your new oem LCA ball joint (with fluid filled type bushing), it would have been safer for the boot if you remove the other 3 bolts holding your LCA. Then, put a piece of wood close to the ball joint and tap it down with a hammer to remove from the knuckle. Anyways, now, you have the option to just swap out the ball joint itself with a press or change the entire lca. There is a posted diy on this. Good luck. Here's some pix when I replaced my LCAs and left axle seal a year ago.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 007.jpg
Views:	1309
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	17252   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 013.jpg
Views:	2055
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	17253   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 005.jpg
Views:	1190
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	17254   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 038.jpg
Views:	1101
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	17255   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 001.jpg
Views:	1135
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	17256  

#3 Old 04-21-2012, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Man, that video on tapping the side of the ball joint fitting is GREAT!!

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
#4 Old 04-21-2012, 07:44 PM

Thanks for the info. That would have made it much easier! I think I am going to swap out the ball joint next weekend.
#5 Old 04-22-2012, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Unless you are a qualified mechanic, these types of repairs are best done by a professional. Putting my life on the line to save a few hundred dollars is not my idea of a wise investment!

2012 SL AWD Tinted Bronze
#6 Old 04-22-2012, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halwg View Post
Unless you are a qualified mechanic, these types of repairs are best done by a professional. Putting my life on the line to save a few hundred dollars is not my idea of a wise investment!

HUH? Whatcha talkin about willis?
#7 Old 04-27-2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:
How so? This repair is pretty straightforward...what is the extra risk doing it myself? I wouldn't exactly consider this putting my life on the line.
#8 Old 05-01-2012, 01:39 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I did this repair a few months ago on the wife murano, I even replaced the ball joint and replaced the axle seal while I was at it. I'm no qualified mechanic but enjoy working on my cars. I just replaced the clutch on my porsche. One needs to know their limitation. If you are not confortable, there is always the dealer welcoming your business.
#9 Old 05-01-2012, 07:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I repeat..."Unless you are a qualified mechanic, these types of repairs are best done by a professional. Putting my life on the line to save a few hundred dollars is not my idea of a wise investment!"

2012 SL AWD Tinted Bronze
#10 Old 05-01-2012, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
I repeat..."Unless you are a qualified mechanic, these types of repairs are best done by a professional. Putting my life on the line to save a few hundred dollars is not my idea of a wise investment!"
I am far from being a qualified mechanic, yet two days ago I replaced the rusty oil pan on my MO, and last year I replaced the front brake pads and rotors, added HID headlights and fogs, and signal mirrors. Over the years I have replaced engines, transmissions, alternators, water pumps, fuel pumps, carbs, radios, springs, etc. Some of these tasks were done to save money, but most were done simply for the satisfaction of doing the job myself. And believe me, I am far from being a qualified mechanic, having spent all of my professional career behind a desk.

Some people, like myself and many other forum members, welcome the challenge of repairing their own vehicles and enjoy the satisfaction of a job well done.

Most mechanical repairs are pretty straight forward if you have helpful guidance, the right tools and confidence in your abilities. I figure if we provide the helpful guidance it is up to the member to determine if he has the necessary tools and ability. We are here to support, not chastise.

-njjoe
Sully82 likes this.

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
#11 Old 05-01-2012, 12:46 PM

Garage
Well said njjoe, I am far from being a qualified mechanic myself as well. However, I do like to tinker and do some of my own work. I do my own routine maintenance like oil and brake jobs, then research the rest. If its something I think I can tackle, I do it myself. If not, I take it to a shop or a friend who is more mechanically inclined.

'03 Silver base model SL AWD, cloth seats
aftermarket Spectre performance air intake kit, tow package, Avid Envigor tires
#12 Old 05-01-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:

Don't drive then, might get into an accident and die. :eek:

04 Murano SE AWD
350z midpipe, audio stuff.
85 Toyota MR2
GEN4 3SGTE swap
#13 Old 05-20-2012, 12:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to ElleShooTiger
For the lower ball joint, shouldnt it just slide out once the bolt is removed? It looks like its held in place by the bolt and the knuckle closing in around it, instead of pressing itself into the knuckle.

I'll be replacing this axle on our Murano as well in the next week or so, its been slinging grease for a good 50k miles and recently the boot split open completely, but it only really makes noise when its really cold outside haha.
#14 Old 06-02-2012, 10:10 AM

Theoretically, yes. But as I found out, it doesn't just slide out and it is hard to get enough leverage on it to separate it from the hub without damaging the boot. There is a little shoulder on the ball joint LCA end which prevents it from easily separating from the knuckle, especially since that joint will move freely and is not fixed.

You can do like Nitely suggested and remove the other 3 bolts holding the LCA and then, put a piece of wood close to the ball joint and tap it down with a hammer to separate it from the knuckle. This allows you much better angles to separate the joint. Hope this helps.
#15 Old 09-17-2012, 09:09 PM

OK- I got the CV axle out pretty easy-- even the lower ball joint came off the knuckle easily. I removed the three inner bolts and pulled the whole shaft out... But the new CV axle doesn't include the new inner shaft (that goes through the bearing support and into the TC). Is there some secret to separating these shafts?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: