murano exhaust manifold - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 05-09-2012, 01:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Unhappy murano exhaust manifold

I have a 2006 murano, took it to the dealer for both exhaust manifolds to be replaced. Got back my car with a leaking power steering fluid. Took it back to the next day to let them know about the leak. They say theyare not responsible for the leak. There was no leaks before I took the car. The question is the dealer responsible to fix the leak? How far apart is the exhaust manifolds to the power steering fluid pipe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-09-2012, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
What was wrong with the exhaust manifold? If I were you, I'd trace where the leak is exactly coming from. Could be coincidental, but dealers are known to fix one and mess up another in the process also. Your problem is proof that they messed it up--Maybe if the hard tubing was accidentally damaged--if thats where the leak is coming from....Hard to say but you can try calling nissan USA customer service and see if they will help. Its probably the pressure line--common problem. There is a diy for that posted in this forum. Would cost you $110 in parts plus your time if you diy it. Good luck.
#3 Old 05-09-2012, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
j-

Welcome to the forum.

The MO's high-pressure power steering hose is a known weak spot. It is plausible that it was leaking prior to having your car serviced. It is also plausible that the damage occurred as the manifolds were being replaced. It is an awfully tight work-space under that hood.

I suggest you contact Nissan Consumer Affairs @ 800-647-7261, plead your case, and see if they will at least pick up a portion of the repair.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM HID conversion & HID fogs
-OEM iPod interface
-Upgraded (non-Bose) speakers - Pioneer TS-A1702C & TS-G1643R
-Muth signal mirrors
-Valley Industries hitch and wiring harness
-Aluminum fuel tank shields
#4 Old 05-09-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njjoe View Post
j-

Welcome to the forum.

The MO's high-pressure power steering hose is a known weak spot. It is plausible that it was leaking prior to having your car serviced. It is also plausible that the damage occurred as the manifolds were being replaced. It is an awfully tight work-space under that hood.

I suggest you contact Nissan Consumer Affairs @ 800-647-7261, plead your case, and see if they will at least pick up a portion of the repair.

-njjoe
Thanks for the response. There were no leaks before the manifolds were replaced. The damage occurred when manifold were replaced. They want me to pay $160.00 in parts and they take care of the labor. But the thing is the damage happened on their end, why should I have to pay for the parts. Will try the consumer affairs #.
#5 Old 05-09-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
j-

Welcome to the forum.

-njjoe
Thanks for the response. There were no leaks before the manifolds were replaced. The damage occurred when manifold were replaced. They want me to pay $160.00 in parts and they take care of the labor. But the thing is the damage happened on their end, why should I have to pay for the parts. Will try the consumer affairs #.
#6 Old 05-09-2012, 04:33 PM

#7 Old 05-09-2012, 04:37 PM

Thanks, will call the sonsumer affairs.
#8 Old 05-09-2012, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayi View Post
They want me to pay $160.00 in parts and they take care of the labor.
Hmmm, that's interesting. A dealer does not normally offer up free labor. Some might interpret that as an admission of guilt. Others might say it is simply good customer service. I tend to view it as the former.

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM iPod interface
-Muth signal mirrors
#9 Old 05-11-2012, 04:18 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to turbizzy
Honestly yeah it's a tight working area but I cannot see how an exhaust manfold replacement would have caused your leak UNLESS your hose was getting ready to leak and some slight contact with it may have disturbed it enough to start leaking.

In my opinion, regardless of who caused it, with the known issue of these hoses leaking and they're willing to cover the labor and all you gotta pay for is the parts, I say DO IT!

Izzy - MY PANDORA BODYKIT FOR SALE
04 Murano SE
05 Colorado ZQ8
85 Mustang SVO
#10 Old 05-11-2012, 09:15 AM

So. Why did you need to exhaust manifolds replaced?

Thanks
Inkman
#11 Old 05-11-2012, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator

I do not ever recall reading about a member having both exhaust manifolds replaced on his/her MO. Why were yours replaced?

-njjoe

2005 SL AWD, Platinum
-OEM iPod interface
-Muth signal mirrors
#12 Old 05-11-2012, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
I do not ever recall reading about a member having both exhaust manifolds replaced on his/her MO. Why were yours replaced?

-njjoe
So the dealer could make a payment on his yacht! :eek:

2012 SL AWD Tinted Bronze
#13 Old 05-11-2012, 07:26 PM
Dal

I had a car in for a radiator replacement and it came back with an electrical fault. Fed up with constantly getting the car back with more problems than it went in with and being an electrician I tracked down the source of the new electrical fault. While at first the mechanic denied it had anything to do with them replacing the radiator after I showed them where the wire had been busted off(near the radiator) the mechanic apologized and said the apprentice had done the work.

If I wanted an unskilled tradesman working on my car I would have changed the radiator myself.

I'm thankful for all the people who let me stuff up the wiring in their houses while I was an apprentice but I would prefer apprentices stuff up other peoples cars rather than learn on mine.

Anything is possible, if your car is coming back with problems it didn't go in with maybe it's time to get under the hood yourself.
#14 Old 05-12-2012, 05:15 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to turbizzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dal View Post
I had a car in for a radiator replacement and it came back with an electrical fault. Fed up with constantly getting the car back with more problems than it went in with and being an electrician I tracked down the source of the new electrical fault. While at first the mechanic denied it had anything to do with them replacing the radiator after I showed them where the wire had been busted off(near the radiator) the mechanic apologized and said the apprentice had done the work.

If I wanted an unskilled tradesman working on my car I would have changed the radiator myself.

I'm thankful for all the people who let me stuff up the wiring in their houses while I was an apprentice but I would prefer apprentices stuff up other peoples cars rather than learn on mine.

Anything is possible, if your car is coming back with problems it didn't go in with maybe it's time to get under the hood yourself.
Unfortunately we're not all born with talent/skill and we do need to get our feet wet and get experience on SOMEONE'S vehicle at some point. Sucks what happened to you but this happens all the time, you of all people should understand. I was an apprentice once and yeah i messed up alot of crap but i've learned from my mistakes.

I've never had to replace both exhaust manifolds on a Murano before but the rear Bank 1 manifold is common to crack and eventually break right between the #1 and #3 primary tubes.

Izzy - MY PANDORA BODYKIT FOR SALE
04 Murano SE
05 Colorado ZQ8
85 Mustang SVO

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: