Advice Needed... My First Post! - Page 2 - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#16 Old 11-11-2012, 03:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
@Katz.... Well the readings are in kms. Coz the settings on the dash are changed to show everything in kms. Even i prefer the metric system! Am used to it more than miles and feet! I was in Europe before coming here, were metric system is normally used. Just like temperature. Someone tells me 45F here, i say, ok fine! Same guy tells me, 7C... i would probably bring out my jacket! Hehe! Still getting used to the Fahrenheit and miles!

@Pilgrim: I opened the hood of the car for the first time today and looked over the liquid stuff!

As an emergency, I need Coolant, Power steering fluid and window washer fluid! They are low.... very low to be honest. Engine oil, I have to do it again. After doing the check, realized that my parking is inclined.

Was not able to check the battery, as i the battery as it is just black and opaque. So was not able to see what's inside.

For the three liquids i mentioned, could you tell me some brand names, that is something i would be able understand rather than technical terms, as i am still finding going through reading all the stuff! Will go over to walmart in the evening and get the stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 11-11-2012, 04:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Your owner's manual has fluid recommendations for all the items you mentioned. Be especially careful with selecting power steering fluid, as there are different types and some are not compatible with others. There will be a Nissan part number recommendation and also phrasing such as "Dexron II type" (that is not an accurate quote, just an example) which allows you to match the fluid by type.

Washer fluid is simple stuff - just get something that says washer fluid. Nothing special there.

Antifreeze should be added in a 50/50 mix with water, as that proportion is most effective at preventing freezing. Antifreeze is also your primary source of lubricants for the water pump and anti-rust chemicals to protect the cooling system, which is why it should be changed at 2-3 year intervals, although most of us forget to do so.

I personally use only the green stuff, not the orange GM-type Dexcool stuff. I have heard too many horror stories of the Dexcool plugging up systems. Also, the green and orange antifreezes are NOT chemically compatible, so do not mix them. I believe your Murano should have a Nissan variant of the green stuff, but check it visually. If you want to be a purist with coolant, then have a shop do a drain and refill with Nissan brand stuff.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
#18 Old 11-11-2012, 04:58 PM

The coolant is green. Most of the recommendations something like "Use Genuine Nissan..... or equivalent"

Now where can i buy genuine Nissan products? Nissan service center? Walmart? Autozone?
#19 Old 11-11-2012, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Prestone long life coolant concentrate and gal. of distilled water - walmart.

nissan power steering fluid - dealer parts dept. or online cheaper.

windshield wiper fluid - walmart or parts store - cheapest you can find per gal.
#20 Old 11-11-2012, 05:28 PM

Thanks all for your help. It was great talking to you! Will go out and get my stuff!
#21 Old 12-09-2012, 01:04 PM

Your dash oil change reminder has two settings: 3750 and 7500 miles. If you are using synthetic, use 7500 mile interval (unless really severe, like towing or all hot city driving).
#22 Old 12-09-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldvetter View Post
Your dash oil change reminder has two settings: 3750 and 7500 miles. If you are using synthetic, use 7500 mile interval (unless really severe, like towing or all hot city driving).
On my 07 the oil change and tire rotation interval reminders can easily be changed to whatever mileages you prefer. The owner's manual gives instructions, although it took me all of 15 seconds to figure it out without the manual.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
#23 Old 03-03-2013, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelove View Post
The Nissan Murano is powered by a 265 horsepower, 3.5 liter, V-6 engine matched with a Continuously Variable Transmission. The CVT automatic works well and the engine provides all the power needed for a mid-sized vehicle. Towing capacity is listed at 3,500 pounds, but that is enough for small camping trailers and boats.
And your point is.....?

Perhaps you posted in the wrong thread. This has nothing to do with the thread.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: