User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
#1 Old 11-07-2012, 12:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Advice Needed... My First Post!

Hello Everyone,

Recently got myself a 2005 Nissan Murano S (2 days ago to be exact ). I am new to the car world on a whole. This is my first car. Although had a great love for cars, never really had the money get one for myself.

So to start off with I had a few questions about the maintenance stuff. Mostly related to engine oil.

1. How much engine oil does the Murano need? I mean what is the capacity of the engine oil tank?
2. Which engine oil?
3. How frequently do I have to change it?
4. Is it advisable to get the engine oil changed now, so that I can keep track of future oil changes myself? I got it off the dealer, so cant really tell how old the existing engine oil is.

I would love to do the engine oil changes myself. Some advise on that would be great as well. Or is it better to get it done by a mechanic?

Looking forward to some tips. Please be nice as this is my first time in the car community!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-07-2012, 01:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Questions 1-3 can be answered by reading the owner's manual, which is highly recommended for any new (to you) vehicle. It's guaranteed that you will learn things about the car you will never figure out otherwise. Not picking on you - just a really, really good thing to do.

Short answers....

- 4-5 qts. Depends on the filter and your particular car.
- Synthetic (check manual for weight)
- This has been debated for 100 years. I change at 5K intervals.
- Yes, it's always good to start with a fresh oil change UNLESS the place you bought it from changed it before you bought it. They definitely should have.

If the oil and filter are new, changing now is wasting money. You have the ability to track your oil change mileage and tire rotations in the onboard computer - your owner's manual will tell you how to make the settings.

Enjoy that Murano and stick around here - you'll learn stuff. Use the search engine freely and I'm sure you will find long discussions about your questions.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
#3 Old 11-07-2012, 02:00 PM

Please, please, please, as Pilgrim says, read the Owner's Manual. People get themselves in all kinds of trouble not consulting that book!
#4 Old 11-07-2012, 02:08 PM

Thanks! I was looking at amazon.com for oil prices just for reference and I came across this:

Mobil 1 44976 Extended Performance 5W-30 Motor Oil - 1 Quart (Case of 6)

Amazon.com: mobile 1 synthetic oil Amazon.com: mobile 1 synthetic oil

So is this like... 6 quarts? Or 6 packs make up one quart? Kinda silly question, but cant help asking it!

I will read the manual and see what information I can get out of it.
#5 Old 11-07-2012, 02:31 PM

6 quarts. You may need 5 quarts.

2011 Murano SV AWD Canadian Spec.
- Carbon Silver / Black
- DDM 5k HID Conversion
- 1080p Dash Cam./ Vehicle Recorder
- DIY 5-LED Running Lights
- Factory Rubber Floor Mats
- Bosch Windshield Blades
#6 Old 11-07-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuranoSV View Post
6 quarts. You may need 5 quarts.
Do the change armed with six; don't add more than 5 without changing the filter and running the car, then waiting 10 minutes or so to check oil level.

The worst designed part of the Murano V6 engine is the dipstick. It refuses to give you an accurate reading until the car has been sitting for at least 10 minutes. PITA when changing oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_storm2004 View Post
Thanks! I was looking at amazon.com for oil prices just for reference and I came across this:

Mobil 1 44976 Extended Performance 5W-30 Motor Oil - 1 Quart (Case of 6)

Amazon.com: mobile 1 synthetic oil

So is this like... 6 quarts? Or 6 packs make up one quart? Kinda silly question, but cant help asking it!

I will read the manual and see what information I can get out of it.
Do you live somewhere unusual? Every auto parts store carries this oil, and paying shipping on it makes no sense. Any good synthetic oil in the correct weight will work fine. That Amazon link is 6 quarts, not 6 to make one quart.

I sense that you're new to this game, and we'll try to be kind! (Just use the search tool a lot...it helps.)

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
#7 Old 11-07-2012, 04:05 PM

I have O'Riely within 1 minute and AutoZone within 5 minutes from my home. I was just looking around for oil prices. That's all.

Even then, any order above $25 qualify for free shipping on amazon.

But just wanted to know is that $54 price good? Or i can find it cheaper in stores.

I am new to the game, yes. But not new autos. And on top of that I am more used to the metric system than imperial one. So liters and milliliters make more sense to me!
#8 Old 11-07-2012, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
$54 for a six pack of mobil 1 5W-30 is expensive. Cheapest I can get it is for 27 + tax on sale @costco. But you have to wait for the sale which they do a couple of times a year or so. If you don't believe in costco, walmarts 5 quart deal is the next best thing for about the same price. I suggest you start with just a regular dino oil - not sysnthetic - and change it every 3k miles to get some practice. Do this abut 4X the first year and switch to synthetic if you feel like you need to afterwards. Get the oil filter onlline - oem is good - get a 6 pack for a better deal. You also need to get some basic tools like a set of socket wrench metric, filter oil pliers, oil pan, later on a floor jack and jack stand atleast 3 ton capacity, pliers set, screw driver set and so on. Good luck. Read on the maintenance section theres a lot of info that will help you on all your questions.
#9 Old 11-07-2012, 07:23 PM

Thanks for the inputs on stuff needed to do the oil change. I will go to walmart over the weekend and look for the oil (if a change is necessary).

First I have to look at recognizing that an oil change is needed.

My next question is.... Lets say, i know car dealers are sneaky, so is it possible that they just changed the oil and not the filter? Or that is not possible? Because engine oil change can be checked on the dashboard but not the oil filter!

Another lame question maybe. But just trying to absorb the info given!
I found a nice guide to oil change of a Murano!

Oil & Filter Change Nissan Murano (2003-2007) - 2004 Nissan Murano SL 3.5L V6

I have a soft corner for Mobil 1. I will be using it as my engine oil. Using it on my motorcycles for a long time now.

Any good brands for the oil filter? I looked up the internet and found brands like K&N, Royal Purple, Mobil 1 (costly). And some cheaper brands like STP and Fram.

Update:
I just checked the dashboard. It says oil change at 6000 kms. And currently it is at 2762 kms. I will check the levels in daylight tomorrow. But does the car understand the type of oil put in? Like if the oil is synthetic, then its in the middle of its life. If its dino, then it is nearing change time.

I went through the maintenance section of the car. There are a lot of fluids i have to go through over the weekend. I have made a checklist. Will go over them one by one this weekend. Mostly power steering, anti-freeze, brake and others.
#10 Old 11-09-2012, 01:06 PM

you might as well buy a 55gal barrel of oil when owning a murano you will need it
#11 Old 11-09-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyboy View Post
you might as well buy a 55gal barrel of oil when owning a murano you will need it
for what??? my murano is 80k and doesnt eat a drop of oil!!

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App

04 Murano SL AWD
PAC IPOD controller
Rockford Fosgate R1T-S tweeters
Alpine SPR-60 6.5 cm front doors
Polk DXI6500 6.5 cm component system rear doors
JL Audio Slash 300/4v2 4 channel amp
Rockford Fosgate r30012 powered 12" Subwoofer
#12 Old 11-09-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyboy View Post
Unless you have a normal Murano which doesn't use oil.

Like mine.

At 81K miles, it doesn't use more than a half-quart between changes at 5,000 mile intervals.

Let's not consider a problem with one vehicle to condemn all similar vehicles. If that were the case, there wouldn't be a single car of any type that one would consider buying.

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo
#13 Old 11-09-2012, 06:07 PM

I am looking for the answer to my last post! Please help!
#14 Old 11-10-2012, 07:55 AM

This post has me scratching my head. Either the dealer changed the oil, or they didn't. If they have the sticker on the car, then it was changed. It's doubtful that anyone used synthetic oil, so if you want to change over, then go do it!

Also, it says you are located in TX, but you give distances in km...I find that a bit strange.

This is a lot of chatter about changing oil. Just go do it!
#15 Old 11-10-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_storm2004 View Post
I am looking for the answer to my last post! Please help!
Any synthetic oil in an appropriate weight works. Any good quality filter works. Your car doesn't know the difference.

I'm not a fan of Fram, but there are many discussions of oil and filters on here. Mobil 1 is fine, Purolator's top filters are good, and IMO Amsoil's filters are the best, but they're mail-order items unless you have a dealer nearby (check yellow pages or the web).

Don't get carried away changing oil early. IT"S JUST OIL. Some people act like oil is a rare blood type and obsess over changes, filters and minute details. Geeeeeeeeeezzzz.

Chill. Have a Shiner Bock with some good Texas BBQ. Change the oil when 5k comes around (or whatever interval you like.)

2007 Murano
2009 BMW 328xi
1983 280ZX Turbo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: