Output Shaft Seal replacement - Nissan Murano Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 2 Old 01-07-2013, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Output Shaft Seal replacement

I have an '04 MO, had it since day 1. 196,000 miles later I have discovered that the left side/driver side output shaft seal is leaking...discovered it inadvertently. Hopefully found it in time. That being said, is there a special tool required to remove the old and or install the new seal? I replaced that axle a few months back...now I know why it is advised to replace the seal at the same time. Anyway, any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-07-2013, 06:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
A flat head screw driver or small pry bar will work in removing the seal. Just be careful you don't gouge/scrape on the tranny housing where the seal sits. Look here...Axle seal part numbers . And here 2006 AWD left front CV axle help . Good luck.

Attached pix shows my home made seal driver made out of 2" pvc pipe sanded level and a cap on one end. Its about 6-8 inch long. I use this for the final tap in once you get the seal to ride on the housing.

Remember to go slow when getting the seal to ride on the tranny - also grease the seal. Observe how the old seal sits on the tranny flush wise before removing. So you know how deep you will push in the new one. A little proud is better than totally flushed cause there is a tendency to push it in too far which is not good. Reinstall the axle straight and not in an angle so as not to bend the seal and cause another leak. Use a cords help to hang the mid part of the axle straight going into the CVT. Have fun.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 038.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	17770  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: